With Cellos or Without Cellos?

Started by metalhead y cigarguy, 06/17/2010 04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalhead y cigarguy

Question?  Do you guys leave your cellos on your cigars when they are in your humidor or do you take them out of the cellos?  From different comments I've seen on the internet it sounds as though it's better for the cigar to be out of the cello.  I tend to agree, because if they are in the cellos they can't absorb moisture which is the reason for being in the humidor.  The problem for me is that the cigars will touch one another, and from what I understand they can take on one another's flavors.  With that I've decided to remove both ends from the cellos so that each end is open.  My thought is that the cigar will be able to absorb moisture, but won't be touching other cigars so they retain their true flavors.  

Any thoughts on this?  What do you guys do?
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

nwb

You'll find varying degrees of opinions on this.  For me, the pros of leaving the cello on are much greater than taking them off.

Pros
-It is a pain in the a$$ to take them all off.
-They are better protected inside your humidor and in passes/trades/bombs.
-They can prevent mold from spreading all over your cigars in case you have an outbreak.
-It can delay the "marrying" of aromas between different blends.

Cons
-It is possible it can slow down the aging process.

That being said, I usually cut off the foot end of the cello on all of my cigars so I have the added protection in addition to the free flow of air.  If you have a bunch of the same cigar in one humidor that you plan on aging long-term, I would seriously consider removing cello.

Just my .02
Chief of Shaft

DennisA

Quotenwb - 6/17/2010  7:23 AM

You'll find varying degrees of opinions on this.  For me, the pros of leaving the cello on are much greater than taking them off.

Pros
-It is a pain in the a$$ to take them all off.
-They are better protected inside your humidor and in passes/trades/bombs.
-They can prevent mold from spreading all over your cigars in case you have an outbreak.
-It can delay the "marrying" of aromas between different blends.

Cons
-It is possible it can slow down the aging process.

That being said, I usually cut off the foot end of the cello on all of my cigars so I have the added protection in addition to the free flow of air.  If you have a bunch of the same cigar in one humidor that you plan on aging long-term, I would seriously consider removing cello.

Just my .02

:word:  With the exception of cutting the cello.

I take the sticks out of any outer wrapping (box, shrink-wrap, zip-lock, etc) and store them the way I receive them. If it's a tubed cigar, I'll remove it from the tube and store it naked.
Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.

Brlesq

My daughter has played the cello for 6 years now and is the first chair in her school's chamber string orchestra.  

While I enjoy listening to the deep bass notes of the cello while smoking a bold, big ring maduro or oscuro,  I still believe that smaller panatelas and milder cigars are better enjoyed while listening to a flute or a clarinet.  Yard 'gars and dog rockets are best enjoyed with snare drum or a glockenspiel.

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

lowpro75

QuoteBRLESQ - 6/17/2010  8:16 AM

My daughter has played the cello for 6 years now and is the first chair in her school's chamber string orchestra.  

While I enjoy listening to the deep bass notes of the cello while smoking a bold, big ring maduro or oscuro,  I still believe that smaller panatelas and milder cigars are better enjoyed while listening to a flute or a clarinet.  Yard 'gars and dog rockets are best enjoyed with snare drum or a glockenspiel.

:biggrin:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

lowpro75

Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

mountedshriner

QuoteBRLESQ - 6/17/2010  5:16 AM

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Bob Cordell

"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

SenorPablo

I leave them on.  I tend to bang mine up pretty good so it's all about the extra protection.  :biggrin:

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Dave S.

Honest to God, when I read the title of this thread, I thought it was about the musical instrument.
"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

Brlesq

QuoteDave S. - 6/17/2010  10:51 AM
Honest to God, when I read the title of this thread, I thought it was about the musical instrument.

IT ISN'T ?!?  

Now don't I feel foolish . . . :shy:  :lmao:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Beegerply

I leave mine on if they come that way, if naked I put them in a place in my big humi that keeps them from damage.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Samhain2000

QuoteBob Cordell - 6/17/2010  5:58 AM

:lmao:

Here we go again!

Double that!
A cigar is like a gun, you never know when you'll need one.

Jackal

My answer is that it depends on the size of your collection.

If your collection is under 50 sticks and is going to remain that way, cello can come off.

Once you start getting near 100 (or a thousand), then you will do a lot more rummaging through your cigars and transferring from one humi to another, As well as doing occasional humidor maintenance, such as moving cigars around to keep them from getting moist/dry spots in your humidor.  With the increased handling that they will see, you really need to keep them in cello to prevent wrapper damage.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

metalhead y cigarguy

QuoteJackal - 6/17/2010  8:55 AM

If your collection is under 50 sticks and is going to remain that way, cello can come off.

Once you start getting near 100 (or a thousand), then you will do a lot more rummaging through your cigars and transferring from one humi to another, As well as doing occasional humidor maintenance, such as moving cigars around to keep them from getting moist/dry spots in your humidor.  With the increased handling that they will see, you really need to keep them in cello to prevent wrapper damage.

That makes sense, and since I only have a small collection of cigars (right now at least) it's not a big deal to remove all the cellos. Has anyone had an issue with cigars marrying flavors? If so how long were they in the humidor for that to happen?

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

lowpro75

Quotemetalhead y cigarguy - 6/17/2010  12:59 PM

That makes sense, and since I only have a small collection of cigars (right now at least) it's not a big deal to remove all the cellos. Has anyone had an issue with cigars marrying flavors? If so how long were they in the humidor for that to happen?

My Partagas and Montecristo were married in a small ceremony off the coast of Hawaii in the fall of 2007.  Over time they became more and more alike until I couldn't even tell them apart.  They now live in the suburbs and have 3 Acids.   :biggrin:

PS.  To my knowledge the whole marrying flavors is bs, as I've never experienced it and I have all kinds of cigars sitting next to each other, even Acids.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Jackal

Quotemetalhead y cigarguy - 6/17/2010  9:59 AM

I have never seen marrying of flavors.  I think that after a few years you may see it, or maybe if you store an uncellored maduro next to a claro for a number of months some of the oils may intermingle, but I would not be concerned unless you are looking at some pretty long term storage.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Beegerply

Quotelowpro75 - 6/17/2010  12:09 PM

My Partagas and Montecristo were married in a small ceremony off the coast of Hawaii in the fall of 2007.  Over time they became more and more alike until I couldn't even tell them apart.  They now live in the suburbs and have 3 Acids.   :biggrin:

PS.  To my knowledge the whole marrying flavors is bs, as I've never experienced it and I have all kinds of cigars sitting next to each other, even Acids.

:lmao:  :lmao:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Brlesq

Quotelowpro75 - 6/17/2010  1:09 PM

Has anyone had an issue with cigars marrying flavors? If so how long were they in the humidor for that to happen?

But was the music at the wedding ceremony With Cellos or Without Cellos?  :confused:  

Lets try to stay on topic here! :lmao:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Dave S.

QuoteBRLESQ - 6/17/2010  8:27 AM

IT ISN'T ?!?  

No.  I thought (perhaps) the thread would be about the enjoyment of cigars and classical music or cigars and four-string quartets.

One can continue to dream.

:violin:
"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

lowpro75

QuoteDave S. - 6/17/2010  1:33 PM

IT ISN'T ?!?  

No.  I thought (perhaps) the thread would be about the enjoyment of cigars and classical music or cigars and four-string quartets.

Start you own thread.  But as an aside, whenever I smoke a cuban partagas I blast Sinead O'Conner's "Nothing Compares to You". :biggrin:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

lowpro75

QuoteBRLESQ - 6/17/2010  1:26 PM

Has anyone had an issue with cigars marrying flavors? If so how long were they in the humidor for that to happen?

But was the music at the wedding ceremony With Cellos or Without Cellos?  :confused:  

You're right.  It was without cellos, nakid!
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Bob Cordell

Quotelowpro75 - 6/17/2010  1:45 PM

QuoteDave S. - 6/17/2010  1:33 PM

IT ISN'T ?!?  

Start you own thread.  But as an aside, whenever I smoke a cuban partagas I blast Sinead O'Conner's "Nothing Compares to You". :biggrin:

"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

metalhead y cigarguy

Quotelowpro75 - 6/17/2010  10:09 AM

Hahaha! Very funny. :lmao:

I figured it would have to be over a very long period of time, but I wanted some clarification.  Being that I have a small collection I don't think I'll be storing cigars for any real extended period of time so I should be okay.  Thanks for the input.

As a side note. I prefer my classical music with cellos.  :biggrin:

gitfiddl

QuoteBRLESQ - 6/17/2010  1:26 PM

There was a cello in the string quartet...I think.  There was an open bar at the reception so my recollection is kind of fuzzy.

In all seriousness, I'm in the "leave the cello on" camp.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.