No! not my ashtray!

Started by Duker511, 03/02/2008 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duker511

I came home today to a nice quiet, empty house. After letting my dogs out and doing a couple things I was going to sit down, watch TV, and have a cigar. I grabbed a CI Legends La Aurora and sat down in my chair. After lighting it I sat back, looked around my coffee table, and my ashtray was gone. Knowing how much my girlfriend hates my giant, eyesore of an ashtray, I expected foulplay. Sure enough, when I went looking for it I found it on the kitchen table in three pieces.
    I found this ashtray at a yard sale for $1 and couldnt pass it up. Its 14 inches square,  brown with a sunburst design. Ive had it for about 5 years, and it was the perfect tray. I arrange the ashes and cigar nubs just right(everything has its place). It has an area for non-cigar related garbage, holds all sizes of sticks in 5 different size grooves, and has enough room for multiple smokers. I have yet to hear how it broke and Im sure it will be dramatic. I might glue it back together but it doesnt look good. If you would have told me yesterday that I would be this upset about a broken ashtray, I wouldnt believe it. Now I have to find another giant ashtray because I dont think anything else will do. Am I the only one that has these feelings about a piece of ceramic, or are there others.
Tim

Turboknat

Well, its understandable.  First, that is part of your personal identity, not you and the gf as a couple.  Second, you had a comfort level associated with it because you had figured spots for everything associated with.  In essence, it was your very own small private "living room", with all the "funiture" placed just right.  And, it sounds like it was unique, in that it may be very hard to find an exact replacement.  I feel for ya, my friend.

Sticks

Tim, it's rare when you find something special and make it your own as like that ashtray. I have a few things like your ashtray that I found at a garage sale that are a one of a kind and maybe a little bit of a reminder of simpler times and more fun.

kgoings

So did you try to glue it back together? I have had some real success lately with superglue...my wife dropped one of my daughters favorite trophies and it shattered into 10 pieces. I superglued it back together, and you can no tell it was ever broken unless you inspect it and know where to look. But you have to have all the little slivers.

You have any pics of the damage? or pics of what the ashtray (may it rest in piece) looked like while it was alive?

incredible_elmo

What we need here is a good online eulogy/burial for the beloved ... ashtray.  Any poetic entries?  

- Mikel

kgoings

Best I could do on short notice  :-(

Ode to the AshTray

Day in and day out, Sunburst and brown
You were always my company, till my girlfriend knocked you down
You held the ash and nub of my beautiful cigars
More dependable were you then most peoples cars

The times we have had, the sticks we have shared
No finer will ever hold my cigars, my girlfriend, oh how she's erred
How you perrished I may never know
I thank you for the times we shared, both Highs and Lows.

Duker511

Thank you guys for your understanding. The thing is that before it broke I took the giant size and ease of use for granted. I was told that the way this happened was that my dog, not her dog, but my dog was under the table when someone knocked, the dog jumped up and dumped the table. I am not going to repair it because the "person" that broke it thought I should get over it and crumbled it into dust. All the other ashtrays I have are to small so I have to wait for yard sale season. I am thinking of some sort of revenge.  I liked the poem, I think it will help when the above mentioned "person" sees that Im not alone. As far as pictures, I have alot of pictures I want to put on the site(not all of this tragedy) but I dont know how to shrink my pictures. :confused: . They have to be 100kb or smaller, and all the pictures I have are thousands of kb larger. Im sure there is a simple way to do that,but I dont know. As I sit here typing, the person is telling me to tell you guys that she is not a monster, however at this time I can not do that.  Well as soon as she sees that I am using one of her dinner plates for an ashtray, we will see a monster. :hityou:
Tim

incredible_elmo

If you have any pottery places nearby, you can always go to them and discuss making a new one based on your design.

- Mikel

Sticks

Geeze that was pretty good poem. When I know I am on my last few days here on earth maybe you can write one for me but include some cigar references to life. :lmao:

kgoings

QuoteSticks - 3/4/2008  7:50 PM

Geeze that was pretty good. When I know I am on my last few days here on earth maybe you can write one for me but include some cigar references to life. :lmao:

You can pay for my services now ahead of time, in cigars! lol

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.