Humidor Help

Started by Adam8506, 09/17/2011 10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam8506

Having recently gotten back into cigars, I have outgrown my 3 desktop humidors (and maintaining 3 is a pain in the backside).

I was considering the Lauderdale from cheaphumidors.com for $299 BUT..

Today I saw a 27 bottle Vinotemp (VT-27TS) at costco for $199.

Living in the southeast and having already had a bettle scare, I have started freezing everything as it comes in. I know a lot of people swear by the vinotemps but I know NOTHING about them. It would be nice to not have to worry about temperature control in my house as this will keep everythign at 65 degrees (or having to freeze my sticks).

Is this a good one? How much will it take to make it into a humidor? As a poor grad student, the cheaper the better. (I'm currently using a combination of beads and kitty litter).

Finally, is this a better/cheaper option than the end table humi (which doesn't really match my decor)?

Thanks a bunch and I have really learned a lot just browsing the forums over the last couple months.

87North

I've never built a vinodor, but there have been a couple created around here.  I believe there is an article on the subject in the articles section as well.  Good luck which ever way you go.
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

junglepete

I know there are a couple of guys around here that have used this idea. I am sure they will respond shortly.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Cigary

There are so many options available to you...VinoTemps are really nice but make sure it's thermoelectric...humidors from CheapHumidors are hit and miss...they aren't called "CheapHumidors" for nothing.  I know a lot of brothers who bought their humis from them...there is a about a 50% dislike for their products and service.  If you don't want to keep the unit or there is a problem with it they want to charge you all kinds of fees to ship it back..restocking...having the packing material to send it all back..make sure you do it within 30 days.  Sounds like a huge hassle just to buy a humidor.  There are some really good Vendors out there with very good product who will treat you like a good customer.  I've bought 5 humidors of different sizes through TampaHumidor and they guarantee everything and will treat you right.  They have closeouts that are beautiful and priced great.  

You can always go the Coolador route...cheap and works great with Kitty Litter and holds a ton of cigars.

horrido

Usually the info here will help you and the vinador is a good option. I am lucky my basement holds at a steady 65 RH year round. So I have a few humidors and don`t need a vinador or coolidor so i think whatever you have will be ok.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Adam8506

I can't find any information as to whether this particular model is thermoelectric or not. I guess I was under the impression that they were all the same.

mountedshriner

IMHO, Vinotemp is the only way to go. I have one I have used for a humi since 2004 and it is perfect!! You can't go wrong.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Hot Stuff x

I have an Edgestar clone, 28 bottle vino that I got for $99 on clearance.  I filled it with cedar shelves/drawers from Chasidor.com.   It wasn't cheap...I've got proabably $400 in it.    

If you are looking for something on a budget, I'd recommend you go the Coolerdor route and use the kitty litter crystals for humidification.  My Cooler holds more cigars than my vinodor and it was waaaay cheaper to set up.   I got the trays for the cooler from Cheap Humidors, but some other vendors sell them as well.

I use both a vinodor and a Coolerdor:

Coolerdor:
http://www.cigargeeks.com/gallery/" /img>

Vino:

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

sullivan8078

I have been a poor grad student on a budget. The cooleridor is definitely the way I would go. The cedar trays can get expensive. As an alternative, you can hit up your local B&M for some of their empty cedar boxes. Typically much cheaper. I have found that the nub, cain, and oliva boxes are typically plentiful and can easily be converted by removing the lid. If you are ambitious, you can even rout vents into the boxes to increase airflow. If a router is unavailable to you, drill two holes in a line and remove the material in between with a cheap hand saw.

Good luck!
-David
"Ceiling fan stirs the air, cigar smoke did swirl."- J.B.

SenorPablo

I built a wine coolidor and love it.  It do believe it is important to have a thermoelectric but I know we had one guy on here tell his success with a compressor unit.  My opinion is thermoelectric is way easier to deal with.  But, if you are keeping it in a place where the temperature is good then you may not need to turn it on.  I keep mine in my basement and never turn it on.

If budget is an issue then a coolidor is just as good if you dont have a temperature problem.

Here's the article:
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=34

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Jackal

Cooleradors are a great option, but have no real temp control.

Les, how much of a delta T (difference between outside tmp and vinodor temp) can your vinodo handle?  I have heard numbers in the 20-30°F range.  As someone who lives in a place that hits some temperature extremes, your input would be very helpful.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cigary

QuoteAdam8506 - 9/17/2011  8:39 PM

I can't find any information as to whether this particular model is thermoelectric or not. I guess I was under the impression that they were all the same.

http://www.vinotemp.com/View.aspx/4792/27-Bottle-Touch-Screen-Wine-Cooler

This particular unit doesn't appear to be thermoelectric but as was said by others this doesn't have to be a deal killer.  If you have a basement it would work great in there because the whole idea is to keep the unit from running constantly...basements are notorious for keeping a stable environment.  If you keep your home at 72 degrees year round then that will help as well.  Putting a pound of KL will also keep the inside environment from degrading and will keep it stable.  From everything I read on this unit it has favorable reviews and if you don't like it ,,,,Costco is great for taking back product up to a full year.

ROTHNH

Hi Adam!

With all the guidance in this thread, once read carefully, along with the link, you should have a leg up on doing all the personal research you need to get a handle on something to store your cigars that will work best for you.  I'm with most that a thermo-electric unit is the best WTG.

Once you find the model(s) you want, Overstock.com and Amazon.com sell many of them, stand behind the products and offer cheap or free shipping.

Robert LG

Here is a link to my thread about my vinodor.  I love it so far.  It has been steady with very little upkeep for several months now.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=9022.0
Rob

ntanner

i like the idea of temp controle, especially here were it is over 90 half the year but i went cheap and did a coolador and it has worked great for me so far.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

ROTHNH

Quotentanner - 9/18/2011  3:38 PM

i like the idea of temp controle, especially here were it is over 90 half the year but i went cheap and did a coolador and it has worked great for me so far.

In hot climes, coolidors require more maintenance (a digital hygrometer with temp display and some blue ice can help regulate things to acceptable levels) but the properly maintained coolidor is a lot cheaper and does a good job.  Definitely worth considering especially if cost is a determining issue.

Hot Stuff x

QuoteJackal - 9/19/2011  1:13 AM

Cooleradors are a great option, but have no real temp control.

Les, how much of a delta T (difference between outside tmp and vinodor temp) can your vinodo handle?  I have heard numbers in the 20-30°F range.  As someone who lives in a place that hits some temperature extremes, your input would be very helpful.

I keep my vino's temp control on the warmest setting, which puts it at about 65 degrees, but in the summer it sometimes has a hard time keeping up.  As long as I keep the door closed on it it will stay below 70.   The big problem in the summer isn't the temp though, it's condensation. All the moisture gets sucked out of my beads and ends up in the dish I keep in the bottom of the vinodor to catch the condensation.  The dish fills up within a week or so.  Still, it manages to maintain humidity in the 62-65% range.
LES

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

nwb

I live in the Atlanta area as well, and I used a coolidor for years with success.  It doesn't provide temp control, but that is a non-issue if you have an area in your home with a steady temperature around 70 (or below).
Chief of Shaft

Adam8506

The problem is that there isn't a single place in my house that stays at or below 70 in the summer.

Hot Stuff x

QuoteAdam8506 - 9/20/2011  3:29 PM

The problem is that there isn't a single place in my house that stays at or below 70 in the summer.

You can go with the vinotemp.  To keep it cheap just use  the wire shelves it comes with and use cigar boxes for holding your cigars.  Go the kitty litter route for your humidity.
LES

Robert LG

QuoteAdam8506 - 9/20/2011  12:29 AM

I'm in the same boat.  Until the last couple of weeks there was not a place in my house below 75 for months.  As you can see in my thread above I pretty much went the route that Les below talks about.  I did replace the wire shelves with cedar planks.  Partly because the wire takes up more room being bent to hold wine and partly to have more Spanish cedar smell.  But cigar boxes for storage really isn't bad at all.  Once you get a system down it works pretty well.
Rob

Adam8506

Thanks guys.  Sadly it looks like the unit I saw is a compressor unit since it does not indicate anywhere that it's thermoelectric.  I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a deal on a thermoelectric unit.  I guess I'll keep freezing and using my mid-sized cooler until then.

ROTHNH

QuoteAdam8506 - 9/20/2011  1:05 PM

Thanks guys.  Sadly it looks like the unit I saw is a compressor unit since it does not indicate anywhere that it's thermoelectric.  I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a deal on a thermoelectric unit.  I guess I'll keep freezing and using my mid-sized cooler until then.

Tons are good choices are available for $150-$300.  Here's some samples:

http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=wine+cooler&SearchType=Header

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=thermo-electric+wine+cooler&x=12&y=23

Hot Stuff x

LES

Hot Stuff x

QuoteAdam8506 - 9/21/2011  3:05 AM

If it was a Vinotemp it was probaby thermoelectric.  

Check the model number then look here:   http://www.vinotemp.com/

LES

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.