Humidor Help

Started by Adam8506, 09/17/2011 10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam8506

QuoteHot Stuff x - 9/21/2011  7:40 AM

If it was a Vinotemp it was probaby thermoelectric.  

Check the model number then look here:   http://www.vinotemp.com/

I did just that when I got home that day.  There is no mention of it being thermoelectric and then I remembered that there was mention on the box of letting it set for 24 hours after moving it which further suggests it was a compressor unit.

I'm also going to keep checking back for that open box unit.  That is a perfect price and leaves plenty of room for getting some nice shelves.

Cigary

Les was giving you some good advice in that using KL is a great media for any type of Vino regardless of it being compressor or thermo.  Obviously thermo gets my vote but if you can get a compressor type for a good price KL is your friend when it comes ensuring that your RH stays where it belongs.  Vinotemps will work longer if you place it in a warm environment..it will keep cycling so if you can find an area in your home that is as close to 65-70 then the Vino won't have to work as much and the KL will regulate your humidity like you want.

ROTHNH

I'd definitely stay away from compressor units because that system has unwanted side effects for cigar storage.  Here are the main two reasons why a friend changed to thermo-electric:  his old compressor unit was drying out his cigars and it also was imparting unwanted "refrigerator" flavors to his smokes.  

He used some "work arounds" with it for over a year before replacing it and loves his new unit (which is much like Les's and Robert's here).  His son-in-law got his old wine cooler for storing (you guessed it) wine.

So unless the refrigerator w/compressor you're using or planning to use for cigar storage remains unplugged, get a thermo-electric for your smokes.

Adam8506

So I broke down and grabbed an Avanti 28 bottle unit for $150 today.  I am now airing it out with a fan to get rid of the nasty plastic smell and have some baking soda in there as well.

Now I just need to get some shelves and then buy enough to stock it   :shy:

ROTHNH

QuoteAdam8506 - 9/27/2011  9:33 PM

So I broke down and grabbed an Avanti 28 bottle unit for $150 today.  I am now airing it out with a fan to get rid of the nasty plastic smell and have some baking soda in there as well.

WTG, d00d!  Nice to see you're on your way!

87North

QuoteAdam8506 - 9/27/2011  8:33 PM

I suspect that getting it all stocked up will be the easiest part, especially if you hang around here for long.   :confused:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

Robert LG

Quote87North - 9/27/2011  10:10 PM

QuoteAdam8506 - 9/27/2011  8:33 PM

I suspect that getting it all stocked up will be the easiest part, especially if you hang around here for long.   :confused:

:word:  Mine has been 80-95% full since 4-5 weeks after purchasing.
Rob

Adam8506

Quote87North - 9/27/2011  11:10 PM

I suspect that getting it all stocked up will be the easiest part

I'm not sure my wallet can handle that, but I'm sure I won't be able to resist making a few purchases. And I certainly plan to stick around.  :-)

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.