Torch Lighters

Started by Astronaut318i, 05/15/2008 10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astronaut318i

Hey Team, I've been having some trouble with my torch lighters. They wont light. They'll shoot fuel out, and sometimes you'll get a flash of flame, but most of the time, they just shoot fuel.

Suggestions? Help?

Bob Cordell

Dosent shooting fuel all over a cigar ruin it? Have you thrown any away from the contamination?
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

junglepete

Some friends of mine bought me a real camping lighter (great for cigars). A 3 burner job from EMS @ $50 a pop. Instructions warn that the fuel jets are sensitive to clogging and high quality butane is required. Maybe that's your problem.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

burn1

One of the ones I have does the same thing except after it does it a couple of times it lights. A quick cheap solution is to get a couple of the ronson torch lighters so cheap you can throw them out if they mess up. I pick them up at the local Wal-Mart, CVS and Walgreens have them also. I have more problems from my triple flame Nibo than I do with these.

Astronaut318i

It doesnt really "shoot" the fuel all over the cigar, at least, I havent had any problems with it and have never thought to myself "gee, this tastes like butane."

The stuff I've got in my Colibri is some quadruple refined stuff, and the other one is a 3 dollar gig I got at Smoker Friendly, which has only lit one cigar in its short career.

mhuss

I'm having a huge problem with my Colibri lighter.  It won't light.  My wife gave it to me as part of a big cigar package for Christmas this past year.  She said that when she purchased it at the CI store, they had a problem with it there, too.  But they seemed to work it out, and it did work for a good long while.  But it ran outta fuel.  I reloaded it, but now it won't light at all.  So I feel your pain, man!  The next time I run up to CI, I'm taking it with me and having the guys up there check it out.

Astronaut318i

Yeah, thats my next step too, taking it in. Maybe trying some quintupple refined Fidel Castro by Ashton butane.

But the part that gets me, is that it shoots fuel, and you can hear a quiet "woooooosh" of fuel going out of it...but no flame.

Duker511

Ive had problems with every torch lighter Ive ever owned. I got a cheap Colibri lighter with a CI order last year, but after a couple weeks it did the same thing, spit fuel, but no flame. With mine I could see that it wasnt getting a spark anymore. If I held another lit lighter to it with the button pushed, it would light. I went back to using a bic. :biggrin:
Tim

wunderdawg

You might turn the flame down a bit.  I have had that happen before, and it just blows it out, basically.
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=wunderdawg

I'm a man...But I can change....If I have to...I guess.............Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving might not be for you!!

Bob Cordell

You fellas need to run down to the local crack house, them boys will fix them torches right up for you!

They might want a light though before you leave.

:lmao:
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Astronaut318i

The crack houses, eh? Do they do good work there?

Edit: Hey! I just turned it down a little and then back up again and it started working! Woo! I wont press my luck.

stogie_foggie

My advice, use the best fuel they sell at your local B&M, not the Colibri crap they sell at Wal-Mart.  I had the same problem, and it turned out that the lesser fuel was clogging the jets.  It was a huge PITA, so I bit the bullet and paid twice for the good stuff... since then no problems.
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

Sticks

Yep, I had the same problem with mine. It would just go puff and then you could hear the fuel vent out and no flame. I turned down the flame to almost the lowest setting and keep relighting it until it finally took It is almost as if it gets a vapor lock. So give it a try if you haven't already. This happens every time I refill it and I know of someone else with the same problem. Best torch lighter I have purchased to date is a three buck Ronson from Wallmart that is refillable and never misses a beat. Comes in a couple of finishes and looks pretty good.

Astronaut318i

Since turning down the knob to about half way and then going back up, I havent had any problems with my torch lighters. But I might as well hit Wal Mart for a couple back ups anyways.

bslatner

Quotemhuss - 5/16/2008  1:06 AMI'm having a huge problem with my Colibri lighter.  It won't light.  My wife gave it to me as part of a big cigar package for Christmas this past year.  She said that when she purchased it at the CI store, they had a problem with it there, too.  But they seemed to work it out, and it did work for a good long while.  But it ran outta fuel.  I reloaded it, but now it won't light at all.  So I feel your pain, man!  The next time I run up to CI, I'm taking it with me and having the guys up there check it out.

I've had problems with Colibri lighters in the past. Fortunately, they have a lifetime warranty. I just drop 'em off at the store where I bought 'em and they send 'em off to Colibri. They come back 4-6 weeks later good as new.

bslatner

Quotestogie_foggie - 5/17/2008  1:16 AMMy advice, use the best fuel they sell at your local B&M, not the Colibri crap they sell at Wal-Mart.  I had the same problem, and it turned out that the lesser fuel was clogging the jets.  It was a huge PITA, so I bit the bullet and paid twice for the good stuff... since then no problems.

The best fuel they sell at my local B&M is Colibri brand butane. I've never seen that brand for sale at Wal-Mart.

They also have Xikar butane, but I'm not sure how it compares.

What brand are you using?

stogie_foggie

I use this stuff:  http://www.tobacco-barn.com/p-4393-quintuplus-5refined-butane-fuel-3-pack-from-vector-kgm-108-oz.aspx

The Colibri would clog my lighter when it would get low - I would have to bleed all the excess fuel out and then refill.  And yes, the do sell it at Wal-Mart - next to the other lighters.  

I found the best thing, though,  is to make sure that your lighter is cleaned on a semi-consistent basis - it makes the world of difference.
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

Turboknat

Well, I'll tell ya, I purchased a while back a two burner propane lighter (The Xikar Enigma) from The Tinder Box.  One of the selling points, besides the lifetime warrenty, was that if it ever went bad, rather than sending it in, I just have to take it to The Tinderbox and they will trade it out for a brand new one off the shelf.  The Xikar's are the only ones they can do that with, as the Colibre company and others that have a lifetime warrenty still require The Tinder Box to send it in to them first.

As a sidenote, I haven't had a problem with my lighter yet.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.