Jim Beam vs Jack Daniels (my thoughts)

Started by mike46, 11/04/2011 05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike46

The only time I drink whisky straight up is with a cigar, and usually Canadian Rye, but I do like American whiskys as well.  So over the past year or two, I have picked up four bottles of whisky made in the US, two of Jim Beam and two of Jack Daniels, both their "regular" type, and I've made my way through both.  I really prefer the Jack Daniels, I find it much tastier, maybe sweeter and not quite so bitter tasting.  I realize the JB is bourbon and the JD is Tennessee whisky but really, aren't both pretty much the same recipe other than the filtering process?  Anyways, from now on it'll be Jack for me since I think it's a better drink for my taste buds.  But I'd take a drink or a bottle of Jim Beam as a freebie if it were offered for sure.

ROTHNH

Some say it's the water.  Others swear it's the mash.  Some believe it's the filtering process.  I say whatever.  Like cigars, what's best is what you like the most.

While I usually drink Jameson's (Irish - the original and the 12 year for a treat), as far as bourbon goes, I actually prefer the cheaper stuff, like Evan Williams, McKenna's and Rebel Yell, to name a few I enjoy  -- they have a satisfying bite and a pleasant smokiness (I drink whisky straight with one ice cube) and they also work well in mixed drinks for guests.

Ken Kelley

The bourbon guys here seem to hard core over on JD...Tennessee mule piss was the kindest thing I heard said about it. Knob Creek seems to be acceptable but the mental image that brings up I just can't deal with!  :-0
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

87North

My go to bourbon is Evan Williams, I've yet to find a smoother more easy going regular production bourbon.  I have to say of the premiums out there though I probably like Woodford Reserve the absolute best.  I generally consider Jim Beam to be the very bottom or entry level bourbon...   :confused:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

Brlesq

Mike you should drink what you like and like what you drink.  So if JD is your preference and you don't mind paying more for it, then you should do it.  I find it to be a bit smoother than Beam.

Jim Beam is KY bourbon, at least 51% from corn, and fermented in charred, new oak barrels.

Jack Daniels is TN sour mash whiskey (not bourbon), fermented in old and partially used barrels, and then charcoal filtered to get the color.  (Before the filtering, it is an almost  clear alcohol.)

Personally, I only use either of these for mixing with a Coke or a whiskey sour.  There are many, many more enjoyable and tasty bourbons/whiskeys on the market.  Beam actually makes some much better small batch bourbon (Knob Creek, Basil Hayden's, Booker's and Baker's).  

Buffalo Trace Distillery makes some of the best small batch bourbons, IMHO (14 different kinds, to be exact).  Eagle Rare is an affordable everyday favorite at about $27/bottle.  Five special bourbons (the ''Antique Collection") are released once a year in October. I particularly enjoy two:   George T. Stagg at 142.6 proof!! uncut and unfiltered;  and Eagle Rare 17 - a 90 proof beauty, ultra smooth and aged 17 years .  These two are very hard to find, so if you do see them, grab'em!  (Only one local shop in Upstate NY can get them, and then only 3 bottles of each brand, and guess who got 1 of each?? :dancing: )
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

mountedshriner

Jim Beam Black Label! End of story.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

mike46

QuoteBrlesq - 11/4/2011  6:36 PM

Mike you should drink what you like and like what you drink.  So if JD is your preference and you don't mind paying more for it, then you should do it.  I find it to be a bit smoother than Beam.

Jim Beam is KY bourbon, at least 51% from corn, and fermented in charred, new oak barrels.

Jack Daniels is TN sour mash whiskey (not bourbon), fermented in old and partially used barrels, and then charcoal filtered to get the color.  (Before the filtering, it is an almost  clear alcohol.)

Personally, I only use either of these for mixing with a Coke or a whiskey sour.  There are many, many more enjoyable and tasty bourbons/whiskeys on the market.  Beam actually makes some much better small batch bourbon (Knob Creek, Basil Hayden's, Booker's and Baker's).  

Buffalo Trace Distillery makes some of the best small batch bourbons, IMHO (14 different kinds, to be exact).  Eagle Rare is an affordable everyday favorite at about $27/bottle.  Five special bourbons (the ''Antique Collection") are released once a year in October. I particularly enjoy two:   George T. Stagg at 142.6 proof!! uncut and unfiltered;  and Eagle Rare 17 - a 90 proof beauty, ultra smooth and aged 17 years .  These two are very hard to find, so if you do see them, grab'em!  (Only one local shop in Upstate NY can get them, and then only 3 bottles of each brand, and guess who got 1 of each?? :dancing: )

Interesting stuff, I would like to try some of those.  I forgot to mention in my original post that the selection up here for bourbons etc. is VERY limited, so we would normally only see the so-called "everyday" or well-known brands that are nationally advertised, etc.  A guy might find some of those other lines at one of the boutique stores which I don't frequent.  My usual whisky drink (straight up and mixed) is called Alberta Premium, a Canadian "rye" whisky.  The strange thing about Canadian rye whisky is that there are very few of the ryes up here that are made from 100% rye grain, most are blends.  Alberta Premium is a 100% rye grain whisky, and it is one of the less expensive (but not the cheapest) of the Canadian rye whiskies.

ROTHNH

I've actually had that!  Many years ago -- that Alberta Rye was 25 years old and mighty tasty.  Memorable, for sure  ;-)

Brlesq

For Canadian whisky, I've been drinking Wiser's Deluxe for about 25 years.  Nice & smooth.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

horrido

Ummm does it have alcohol = yes. I drink it. Had Jimmy B and my friend Jack they are ok but I prefer 12 to 18 year old scotch (Bomore) etc there are more. Jack straight is good so is Jim but it can be on very bad hang over if your not careful. I don't do that anymore its hard on the body. So scotch and a cigar I am very happy and I mean very happy. As mentioned just drink what you like but try something different......oh ya almost forgot I tried the Kraken Rum from some of the suggestions here and I do like it alot very smooth and tasty.  :-)
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

RoscozRevenge

My burbon experience is limited but I do have a bottle of eagle rare that I really like. If you are wanting to try something you are having touble finding let me know Mike. I have a few places with fantastic selections and decent prices in Lethbridge. Oh. And if you want an ultra smooth Canadian blended whiskey, I recommend Danielsons 15 year old. Three fingers neat... Yummers!
"If anyone gets nosy, just...you know... shoot 'em. "
-Malcolm Reynolds

MT21

QuoteBrlesq - 11/4/2011  6:04 PM

For Canadian whisky, I've been drinking Wiser's Deluxe for about 25 years.  Nice & smooth.

Try 40 Creek Whiskey. (Canadian)  Very smooth with much deeper flavors.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

Mozwik

Bruce, great recommendations, I am now on a search. My recommendation for regular high street brands would be Woodford Reserve, a very smooth KY bourbon. I went to the Labrot and Graham distillery some years back, nice use of the blue grass water  :drinking:

grabow66

I cant handle the smell of bourbon or rye. I drank one swallow of Evan Williams green label once and puked my guts up. Since I have had part of my stomach removed, drinking is not much of an option for me now. I do get a craving for a really good vodka now and then. So I guess all I can say is that if you like it, drink it.
If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

nwb

If I had to pick one of the two, I prefer Jack.

The best value for the $ - Eagle Rare.  Thanks go out to Bruce for recommending it.
Chief of Shaft

Beegerply

I've drank both Jack and Jim over the years but have never been a big bourbon or whiskey guy.  I do however like scotch although not the heavy peaty tasteing types
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

gitfiddl

Jim Beam in mixed drinks and Jack Daniels straight.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

87North

Quotegrabow66 - 11/5/2011  3:58 AM

I cant handle the smell of bourbon or rye. I drank one swallow of Evan Williams green label once and puked my guts up. Since I have had part of my stomach removed, drinking is not much of an option for me now. I do get a craving for a really good vodka now and then. So I guess all I can say is that if you like it, drink it.

I've often wondered why they even bother to make Evan Williams Green label   For the black label to be so good that green is awful.  I've never seen anybody drink Green label that didn't puke...
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

compton_jer

out of the two id have to go with Jim Beam. never liked the taste of JD, but i will drink it if its around when smoking a cigar.

jason_mazzy

Evan williams # 10. its suck a great bourbon on such a low profile. Fighting cock also another great for the $ bourbon.
"While I won't say that I am God's gift to cigars, I will say Cigars are Gods gift to me".
"Avoiding risk at the cost of living is human. Living your life assuming the risk is heroic. I choose the latter."
US ARMY RANGER (RET)
Disabled Combat Veteran
Restore Liberty: Ron Paul 2012

Foe

1792 is my current favorite, followed by Eagle Rare, Bulliet (sp?), then Makers Mark. I'm currently enjoying JB Black, however. Jack is tasty on occasion but it's lower tier IMO.

southernrun

Makers is pretty good.

but if I'm out in a bar or club and the scotch prices are too steep, I just go for a double jack with a splash of water.

Herfin' Chef

Quotemountedshriner - 11/4/2011  8:36 PM

Jim Beam Black Label! End of story.

x2
-w-  
(unofficial Man of War)

Stimulating the American economy...One cigar at a time

Stogie Joe

QuoteBrlesq - 11/4/2011  8:36 PM

I can't let you mention Buffalo Trace without bring up Ancient Ancient Age (The true 10 year bourbon and not the one with the stars).  IMO, it is just about the best bourbon you can get for the money.  If I have my preference I'm drinking Four Roses Single Barrel, but Triple A is definitely near the top of my list.

lukin

I prefer Jim Beam if I have to go cheap, or wild turkey. But I rarely get the cheap bourbon since I pretty much only drink it straight.

For the higher dollar stuff, I heartily recommend Whiskey River (Willie Nelson's bourbon) and Maker's Mark which is way cheap if you get it at Costco.  Booker's is also delicious but a little more expensive than I can usually afford.  I've been drinking High West Double Rye lately and it is awesome as well.

I don't usually have bourbon with cigars though as I think it overpowers the cigar wheras Scotch complements it much better.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.