Cello Storage/Kitty Litter

Started by 1sgjeffward, 01/19/2012 12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1sgjeffward

Ok I know the debate about leaving the cello wrapper on or taking it off is a raging battle that is still ongoing! Talking to a buddy of mine down in Louisiana last night and he proposed a couple of ideas that follow:

1: For all you kitty litter debaters out there being down in the damn near 100% humidity of Shreveport Louisiana he swears up and down that its the only thing that saves his stock every summer! He uses the Arm & Hammer says its a finer grain and takes moisture better with less used. Hope this helps some of you out with your debate.
2: The wrapper issue! He pushes about an inch or so of the cigar out of the wrapper then cuts off the closed end. This way there is about 1/4" sticking out both ends so you its open to circulation yet there is a wrapper covering 98% of the cigar! Made sense to me when he said "the exposed part is either going to get clipped or burnt the first 30 seconds and the rest is protected!"

Like some feedback on what all of you think about that idea or any other pearls of wisdom you may have to share? Thanks   :confused:
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

ROTHNH

There's numerous posts here in the Cigar Geeks Forums on both topics you delineate and we also have an article on kitty litter here too.

Your Louisana friend's position on these two things make sense and both seem to have worked quite well for him.

nwb

Come to think of it, I received a cigar in a pass once that had both ends of the cello clipped.  Personally, I've found clipping just the cello on the foot works well too and takes half the time. :confused:
Chief of Shaft

Brentcally

Seems like a pretty good idea!
-Brent-

-Don't go away mad, just go away.

Brlesq

I don't want the cap end of the cigar sticking out because that is the end that I stick in my mouth.  I have had both beads and KL tip or get jostled around and spill silica "dust" into the humidor. If that happens, I can save what is left by cutting off the foot.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Hot Stuff x

i like to leave enough of the cello on to protect the cigar from any damage. I used to clip the tail of the cello away from the foot of the cigar, but these days i just toss them in the humi as is.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

socialcigarnut

Don't want to start a fire here, but isn't cello breathable?  I was under the impression it was.  If it is breathable then cutting the cello takes away the benefit of it breathing protecting the cigar from sudden changes in humidity.

Am I missing something?
Smokin' Logan

Blog: http://cigarfederation.com/
Google+: http://bit.ly/GooglePlusLL

Y'all is singular. All y'all is plural. All y'all's is plural possessive. Kinky Friedman "Governor of the Heart of Texas"

nwb

Quotesocialcigarnut - 1/19/2012  3:44 PM

Don't want to start a fire here, but isn't cello breathable?  I was under the impression it was.  If it is breathable then cutting the cello takes away the benefit of it breathing protecting the cigar from sudden changes in humidity.

Am I missing something?

Just personal preference.  Yes, cello is breathable, but a lot of people like the idea of clipping one/both ends to allow more airflow.

In my case, I cut the foot end of the cello to allow for better storage.  The cigar is still completely protected.
Chief of Shaft

Ken Kelley

I have a wish that cellophane had never been invented. Then we wouldn't ever have to worry about this topic ever again.  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

87North

Quotenwb - 1/19/2012  2:58 PM

Quotesocialcigarnut - 1/19/2012  3:44 PM

Am I missing something?

Just personal preference.  Yes, cello is breathable, but a lot of people like the idea of clipping one/both ends to allow more airflow.

In my case, I cut the foot end of the cello to allow for better storage.  The cigar is still completely protected.

I've found the same thing to be true.  It really irritates me when the tail gets mashed up and then the cigar won't lay flat in my humi...  :confused:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

Brlesq

Quote87North - 1/19/2012  5:29 PM
It really irritates me when the tail gets mashed up and then the cigar won't lay flat in my humi...  :confused:

Change "cigar" to "bytch", and  "humi" to "bed", and this could have been a Bob quote.  :biggrin:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Brentcally

QuoteBrlesq - 1/19/2012  6:13 PM

Quote87North - 1/19/2012  5:29 PM
It really irritates me when the tail gets mashed up and then the cigar won't lay flat in my humi...  :confused:

Change "cigar" to "bytch", and  "humi" to "bed", and this could have been a Bob quote.  :biggrin:

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
-Brent-

-Don't go away mad, just go away.

TatuajeKid

I am firmly a no cello guy, and nothing annoys me more than having to remove 20-25 cellos when my box arrives.  I treat my cigars with great care and I think the cello detracts from the natural beauty.  I love opening my wineador and seeing 400 naked cigars so neatly placed in trays.  I have to say though, I do keep some celloed for the passes I am involved in as a matter of respect for the next guy.
"A black belt only covers two inches of your ass. You have to cover the rest." - Royce Gracie

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=TatuajeKid

gitfiddl

I'd never store a valuable stringed instrument in litter...

:shades:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

dwig

My cat doesn't care.........................
As long as I empty it now and then!
 :mad:

:lmao:
I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say:  Hey look.  That one is shaped like an idiot!"

DonM

:cry:  :cry: Again?  I have tried both ways, I get tired of clipping or removing cello so I just put them in the humi and let em rest and have no problems.  I have found the more anal you get about cigar storage causes loss of sleep and aggravation.  Smoke em if you got em Gents!

"The Curmudgeon"

nwb

QuoteAlphairon - 1/19/2012  4:26 PM
I have a wish that cellophane had never been invented. Then we wouldn't ever have to worry about this topic ever again.  :biggrin:

I've been a member of cigar forums for close to ten years, and this question will never go away.  The best thing about Geeks - no one gets flamed for asking. :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

1sgjeffward

And I'm with you on that one! I kept a humidor going strong for over 12 years before the ex came along! And I just love the look and smell of the plain unwrapped cigars (excluding infused and heavily flavored). But I'm kinda of anal so mine always have there exact place I want them and its very seldom they get moved around. Been out of it for about 5 years so just figured I would see if anyone had anything new and great to offer  :confused:
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.