Delerium Tremens Nocturnum

Started by steven lopez, 02/18/2012 01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steven lopez

La Aurora Puro Vintage 2004          

I have been eying this cigar for a while now and have heard much  hype as to how good it is. So finally I have the chance to try it.

The appearance is oily  with a slight tooth. There are some bumps  present. The wrapper is a bit oily and sticky. I am not sure why its  sticky but this feature is intriguing.The overall construction looks and  feels solid.
The pre draw gives a woodsy earthy flavor with strong notes of Hay.
  The first third started with strong earthy and grassy flavors. Half  way through the first third the smoke became creamy and flavors became  sweet with spicy nutty flavors.
the first third needs some attention as 10 minutes in I needed to  relight it.
  The ash was a silvery white and very flakey. Possibly had something to  do with the way it was lit since the cigar burned more on one side in  the beginning. toward the end of the first third there was a nice sweet  odor.
  With this cigar i had delerium Tremens Nocturnum. I poured this into a  snifter glass. There were strong orange and malt chocolate odors.
  The beers appearance had a dark mohagony red color. The pour produced a  tan 2 inch head that dissapates to half an inch and remains. There were  flavors of caramel and malt with a bit of orange.
   The second third gets a bit harsh with strong leathery flavors. The  ash falls off at about 2 and a half inches.
In the middle of the second third the cigar gets a bit of a spicy  chocolate flavor which is a bit of a relief. At this point the burn  begins to straighten out and flavors become a bit nutty with notes of  bitter vanilla and honey which gives me some hope. But unfortunately I  had to let go of this hope as the light went out again.
  In The beginning of the last third all sweet chocolaty and smooth  flavors are gone and I am left with harsh leathery flavor with an amonia  finish. I am pretty let down at this point and not a fan of this cigar.  I am wondering how this got such great reviews.
  In the middle of the last third some slightly pleasant notes of cedar  wood came in but quickly became unpleasant with leather and amonia. And  once again the burn goes out and I had to relight. I dont want to say  this cigar is crap. I actually want to find a reason to like this but I  cannot find a real reason. I would not recommend this to anyone. I was  eyeballing another cigar Nicaraguan with a beautiful construction and  great feel to the roll. What I learned is go with your instinct not with  the hype.

Brlesq

Nice review, Steven.  Why don't you enter the cigar part in the database so other members can find it and decide if that's a cigar they might want to try. :-)
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

steven lopez

The database review is in. To be honest I copied my notes the same time I wrote the review and since it included beer I added it in this forum. I hope that is okay.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.