Newbie Humidor questions...

Started by Aequitas86, 06/21/2008 09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aequitas86

Alright guys. I'm starting to really enjoy this hobby. My problem is that my cigar shop is about 25minutes away and with gas where its at, it gets expensive to run out there. My solution would be to get a humidor and buy several at a time. Seems logical IMO.

My first thought would be a smaller humidor so the expense isn't too great and I can handle a small collection. But then I feel it would fill up quickly. My second thought would be a decent sized 40-100 cigar humi taking the expense and when I really get into it I can upgrade. I'm just trying to keep the cost down a bit as I am a little younger with less disposable income. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

My questions though are these:
-When I get a humidor what are some of the stuff I look for? (Latches, dividers etc.)
-My shop is really expensive, where are some places online to get cheaper but quality humidors? (if such a place exists)
-I know you can craft your own (coolidors, tuppaware etc.) are things such as these tricky to maintain?

I apologize if this is a repeat of a thread. I didn't see anything that really answered these questions or a search feature. I hate being the new guy that never checks for answers already and just asks everything all the time.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

burn1

First look in the articles section of the site there is a ton of info on storage. If you want a lot of storage for minimum coin I would suggest building a coolidor I have one and it works great there is a section in the articles portion of the site to get you started on your own coolidor and we can always help with any questions

junglepete

My thought on humidors is to definitely go as large as you can afford, whether a humidor or a home-made coolidor. Once you get into it, even on a tight budget, you will find yourself building a nice inventory quite fast.

I found a new cheap humidor on ebay for $20 and the delivery was about the same, but it can hold about 150 sticks. Although it was cheap it looks great and works really great too, not counting the hygrometer (which is a whole new ballgame that you will find out about along the way)

Note: whatever the number of cigars a humidor claims to hold, you have to reduce that number by sometimes as much as half. Mine advertised 300 HA! I think they mean if all the cigars are piled on each other using up every square inch. I have a humidor for aging, looks, and easy access. I have a huge coolidor for storage which is pretty much maxed out and now I'm working on making a very large humidor/storage from an antique chest.

Online purchases companies I've been happy with:

cigarinternational.com
jrcigars.com
mikescigars.com
famouscigars.com
tntcigars.com
cigarbid.com

There is a host of other companies out there but the ones mentioned above are a good place to start. If you price shop between and sign up for their newsletters and specials, then you will pretty much get the best deals going. Most of these site offer humidors and accessories for sale too.

Coolidors are very easy to maintain.

Latches and dividers, whatever works for you I guess. As long as the humidor is as airtight as possible (when you drop the lid it should not slam shut but instead, make a short whoosh sound)

Good Luck and have fun with it. GO BIG GO BIG GO BIG, you won't regret it.

:bigthumbs: Pete
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

mhuss

Definitely try and go and large as you can afford.  You'll be amazed at how quickly your inventory will grow.  I agree with the coolidor advice.  Just go out to Target or wherever and pick up one of those coolers for real cheap and follow the directions in our article to build it.  It's easy and really cost-effective.

Duker511

If it were me, Id go to one of the above mentioned sites or http://cheaphumidors.com/ has some good deals. Buy yourself a nice humi with spanish cedar, dividers, hygrometer and humidifier all in one. Its a small investment compared to the expence of a cigar shop. Save the coolidor idea for when you really start collecting. All these places have deals on complete packages often with cigars included. :biggrin:
Tim

paulian3

Just one other word of advice to add to the great suggestions:  the cigar "count" of a commercial humidor is measured in corona-sized cigars (in my experience, anyway).  If you smoke a lot of churchills, remember that the "100 count" is more of a "seventy-five count."  Get the biggest one you can justify, because you'll need it!

PI

JayBay

I'll jump on the "BUY BIG" bandwagon.  A year ago, while contemplating a 100 ct desktop - I bought a 300 ct floor model, thinking "I'll never fill that thing".  Well...it's full.  Buy big...WAY bigger than you think you'll ever need.  Ebay has tons of decent humidors for cheap. I didn't spend an arm and a leg on mine, and it works perfectly.  I'd rather spend the money on cigars.

If you go economical on the humidor, it will probably come with an analog hygrometer.  Throw it out, and go digital.  Salt test it - just to be sure (do a search for salt testing a hygrometer - you'll find the instructions 2.4 million times).  Buy one that monitors temperature and humidity - you'll be glad you did.

Another part of the economical humidor is the humidifiers that have the green floral sponge stuff inside of them. They work fine, but require regular maintenance.  If your budget allows, go with the crystals.  They will cost you a little money, but are much more hassle-free. Either way you choose, make sure not to use tap water - only distilled water (or that activator solution chemical stuff if you prefer).

Finally, do a search on seasoning a humidor.  Make sure you season the humidor before you stuff it full of smokes.

texlewee

I can definitely tell you, BUY BIG!!!

I started with a 150, then a 100 for the "extras" then a 300, and now a chest type thats supposedly holds 500.

I actually think if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the biggie to begin with, and built a nice coolidor for the rest.
" The only thing better than a good cigar is ANOTHER good cigar. "

" What a pleasant stain comes from an enemy's blood.  "

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=texlewee

Aequitas86

Thanks for all the info! I think I'm gonna go with a desk top style (100-300) and then when my collection becomes more kick ass I will make a coolidor. Now I just need some extra funds.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

Duker511

I really think you will be glad you went with the cedar box. The coolidors are nice but to start out youll probably like the more traditional humidor. After you fill a large desktop, you might want to make a coolidor because like everyone says, if you really enjoy this hobby, you will outgrow any size humidor. Also like everyone is telling you, use distilled water only, season your box well, and follow set-up directions. If you do it right the first time, it will save you problems down the road. Most of all, have fun with it. :dancing:
Tim

stogie_foggie

Buy a nice cedar lined humidor.  Nothing like opening the box and smelling that cedar tobacco aroma and seeing your cigars all snug in their places....  :shy:   The problem is that it somehow fills up fast and you have to get another humidor, and another.....  :biggrin:
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.