Sizzling Summer Smokes

Started by nukbucko, 06/21/2008 08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nukbucko

This is a thread generated automatically by the Cigar Pass system to discuss the Cigar Pass named 'Sizzling Summer Smokes'.

Use this link to return back to the Cigar Pass.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

nukbucko

The plan is to get it on and rolling on July 18th that will give time to prep. More details will follow
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

nukbucko

I think this pass is comming along great
This is going to be the list so far there might be some fine tunning
1. 5 Vegas Gold Robusto
2. Carlos Torano Casa Torano Toro
3. Cienfuegos Blaze
4. Fonseca 'series F' Robusto
5. Onyx Reserve Mini Belicoso
6. Gurkha Masters Select Robusto No. 4
7.Montecristo Classic Toro
8.Perdomo Slow-Aged Lot 826 Glorioso
9.Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Double Corona
10.Perdomo Reserve Sun Grown 'E'

drexeltpd

Awesome line up man.  Can't wait to get in on this one.

Turboknat

mhuss

Quotenukbucko - 6/21/2008  9:20 PM
The plan is to get it on and rolling on July 18th that will give time to prep.

One question:  why such the long wait?  We already have two going at once right now.  Might as well make it three-at-a-time.  But then again, it's your Pass to run.

nukbucko

I'll leave it to a vote I can start it at the end of the week or in Mid july
let me know what you guys think

nukbucko

If its in the budget I might add A  Oliva, Nub, RP, or Romeo y Julieta I smoked these brands and I like them but dont have any in my humi but i can pick one up. Let me check my pocket book :shades:

Astronaut318i

I'd just like to throw out that I feel a little uneasy sending the pass up north through customs to Canada. If someone wanted to trade me spots who felt more confident shipping to Canada...

nukbucko

Sorry I will swap anyone who wants that spot let me know

Bob Cordell

Is Canadian Big Brother gonna !@#%$ it up for everybody else?

Whats the deal? Customs? Eye in the sky? Delays?

Could be worth it... ;-)
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Astronaut318i

I dont know that they are, I just know I'd feel weird and anxious about writing "Gifts" on the customs form and stating these "Gifts" value to be 150 dollars.

But it could be fun.

stogie_foggie

QuoteBob Cordell - 6/23/2008  8:29 PM

Is Canadian Big Brother gonna !@#%$ it up for everybody else?

Whats the deal? Customs? Eye in the sky? Delays?

Could be worth it... ;-)

Yeah, Bob, could be.  Be sure to leave some of those "puts" for me :shades:
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

nukbucko

Is Canada a go or someone else wants that spot?

stogie_foggie

Quotenukbucko - 6/23/2008  10:46 PM

Is Canada a go or someone else wants that spot?

Sending packages to Canada usually is no big deal.  They might frown on a huge box of cigars but if you write "gifts", it will probably be OK.  The biggest problem is the amount of time it takes to go through customs - could be there for a week.  Some of the canadian guys could tell you better than I.

"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

Astronaut318i

Well...if one of you Canadians can confirm that they'll go through, then I'm down shipping to Canada.

ljlemer

It's a risk. Our Canadian BOTL have only their own government to blame. If the Canadians are last before the pass returns to the originator, then it won't affect the rest of us and Nukbucko would have the last word, but I advised him not to. What we need to do is attract more Canadians so they can have their own pass. Our Canadian members are in the best position to recruit them.

Having said that, I sent a package of cigars to Canada just last week (6/14) and it arrived pretty fast. I labeled it books. The biggest problem might actually be on its return to the US. Canada has legal ISOMs and the US is insanely monitoring the border for them, as if they were narcotics or arms. US Customs might be the ones to hold up a cigar pass. That's an additional reason to avoid international passes.

Speaking of US Customs, at the same time that I sent my box, a box was sent to me and it still hasn't arrived, two extra days later. If that's not US Customs, what is it?
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Duker511

Quoteljlemer - 6/24/2008  3:26 AM

If that's not US Customs, what is it?

A very happy mailman?
Tim

ljlemer

QuoteDuker511 - 6/24/2008  9:23 AM

Quoteljlemer - 6/24/2008  3:26 AM

If that's not US Customs, what is it?

A very happy mailman?

A wicked felon! Mail is due in an hour to two hours. I'm holding my breathe (I have faith).

Thomas Mann

junglepete

Hello All

I had no idea there was a discussion going on about a pass heading up to Canada. My first question is who is the Canadian involved?

Here is my understanding of how it works at the border. It is no problem for U.S. citizens/residents to mail packages to Canada with cigars in it. However, the problems come when the Canadian BOTL receives the package. The package must go through Canadian customs and must not contain tobacco in that tobacco is not allowed as a gift to Canadian Residents and if it is not a gift then what is it? A sale? Customs will not allow tobacco sales without government involvement to take their cut. So, if the package is not a gift or sales then what is it? Perhaps it could be sent as a gift, but then it must be registered as a fake gift under 60.00 to avoid the Canadian receiver paying extra duty. And if it is dicovered as a contraband?

Anyway it seems very complicated to include Canadians (me being one of them who would have jumped on any cigar pass going but have declined because of border issues.)

Of course there is a chance that the package could make it through, falsified as something other than cigars, or it could get screened and sent back to the US, or more likely just confiscated and smoked by customs agents (end of the pass).

So, with that all said, you can take it from there I guess. And, by the way, I would be happy to be the last Canadian recipient of the package if it ever makes it to Canada in that as a Canadian we can ship anything to the US and you just never no what unbanded surprises may end up in the pass as it heads back to the moderator.

Happy smoking gents and good luck with the summer sizzling pass! :cigarguy:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

junglepete

I am in if the decision to send to Canada goes through :bigthumbs:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

ljlemer

Quotejunglepete - 6/24/2008  10:48 AM

I am in if the decision to send to Canada goes through :bigthumbs:

As I pointed out, the pass would draw the suspicion of BOTH customs. One is looking for cigars sneaking in without paying their huge tax, the other is looking for ISOMs!! Add to that the fact that when leaving Canada, the pass better have some ISOMs in it! If, after everyone else in the US has had their round, if the manager wants to risk it, so be it. I think it's a better idea for individual members to privately arrange trades. That's what I'm doing. You wanna trade? Contact me privately. That way, any risk and possible loss is between two people.

Thomas Mann

texlewee

My thoughts are this...

Keep it legal. Less liability for all parties involved.  

Maybe the great northerners  can have their own cigar pass.

The only way I can see a relatively failsafe pass would be to ship to a border US town, and have a Canadian who lives nearby cross the border to pick it up.

That makes the assumption that someone lives near a border and is willing to drive across twice.  :confused:
" The only thing better than a good cigar is ANOTHER good cigar. "

" What a pleasant stain comes from an enemy's blood.  "

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=texlewee

ljlemer

Quotetexlewee - 6/24/2008  11:21 AM

My thoughts are this...

Keep it legal. Less liability for all parties involved.  

Maybe the great northerners  can have their own cigar pass.

The only way I can see a relatively failsafe pass would be to ship to a border US town, and have a Canadian who lives nearby cross the border to pick it up.

That makes the assumption that someone lives near a border and is willing to drive across twice.  :confused:

We've had All-American passes with ISOMs in them. One member bowed out because of that. My box from TCNOTUSA the country north of the USA just arrived with "South of Miami Comfort".

Thomas Mann

texlewee

Hmmm.... I dont know what to think of that.....

I think the whole customs thing is what spooks me.

A USA pass with ISOM's  seems to be fairly safe.....

It's not a moral issue by any means for me, as I am more than happy to order the occasional ISOM  from Spain......
" The only thing better than a good cigar is ANOTHER good cigar. "

" What a pleasant stain comes from an enemy's blood.  "

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=texlewee

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.