Sizzling Summer Smokes

Started by nukbucko, 06/21/2008 08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljlemer

Quotetexlewee - 6/24/2008  12:12 PM

Hmmm.... I dont know what to think of that.....

I think the whole customs thing is what spooks me.

A USA pass with ISOM's  seems to be fairly safe.....

It's not a moral issue by any means for me, as I am more than happy to order the occasional ISOM  from Spain......

It seems obvious that if anything, the embargo has strengthened the resolve of Cuba and the isolation has worked in Castro's favor. Open up trade and tourism and they will fall flat on their face in no time. When the Cuban people see what they're missing, that will be the end of Communist rule in Cuba.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

texlewee

I, for one, can honestly say I don;t know the answer to that one.

However, it does seem awfully hypocritical to trade with Red China, when they are MUCH more oppressive than Castro.

Probably a NIMBY issue.....
" The only thing better than a good cigar is ANOTHER good cigar. "

" What a pleasant stain comes from an enemy's blood.  "

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=texlewee

texlewee

AS far as Cuban trade goes, I think the USA is less concerned about Cuban trade, as most of their exports prior to the Embargo consisted of coffee and tobacco.  The Cuban Coffee market has been destroyed over the years. The once prevalent coffee farms lay in waste. And it seems that everyone EXCEPT Cigar Aficionado feels the Cuban Superiority of cigars is a thing of the past. That leaves the sugar cane market, which is not a loss commodity item.  So I think Embargo proponents feel, Cuba Schmooba..... :confused:

stogie_foggie

Quotetexlewee - 6/24/2008  10:41 AM

AS far as Cuban trade goes, I think the USA is less concerned about Cuban trade, as most of their exports prior to the Embargo consisted of coffee and tobacco.  The Cuban Coffee market has been destroyed over the years. The once prevalent coffee farms lay in waste. And it seems that everyone EXCEPT Cigar Aficionado feels the Cuban Superiority of cigars is a thing of the past. That leaves the sugar cane market, which is not a loss commodity item.  So I think Embargo proponents feel, Cuba Schmooba..... :confused:

You know I would generally agree with that.  However, I have friends who live outside the US and they said that Cuba is a great place to vacation -- it has rebounded over the years and it fairly prestine without the crush of US tourism.  As far as cigars, I would agree they have lost their luster, but I recently smoked a ISOM Cohiba Esplendido that was out of this world.  I think someone said if they are on, they are really on.
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

texlewee

Perhaps it's another Ego thing....

JFK is the Democrat's ALL TIME HERO, and to remove the embargo would be to admit defeat, and then somehow sully his name.

Or perhaps we just hate Castro and want to wait until he croaks, and the old bastard just continues to hang on.

I think it's the latter, personally, and as soon as the Old SOB kicks the Ash Can, the Embargo will be lifted within 12 months, "in the spirit of pomoting democracy to a new regime". :biggrin:

ljlemer

Quotetexlewee - 6/24/2008  12:57 PM

Perhaps it's another Ego thing....

JFK is the Democrat's ALL TIME HERO, and to remove the embargo would be to admit defeat, and then somehow sully his name.

Or perhaps we just hate Castro and want to wait until he croaks, and the old bastard just continues to hang on.

I think it's the latter, personally, and as soon as the Old SOB kicks the Ash Can, the Embargo will be lifted within 12 months, "in the spirit of pomoting democracy to a new regime". :biggrin:

JFK is not my all-time hero, Bill Clinton is. Democrats are not hardline on the embargo, Republicans are. Democrats are afraid Republicans will accuse them of being weak and Republicans think it would be a sign of weakness to lift it. But both do pander to the Cuban exile vote.

Thomas Mann

Astronaut318i

So...its looking like its a no go for the Canadian part?

But what about this angle: they're not being taxed, because they're not being purchased by someone. We're private citizens trading things as a hobby. Does the Canadian gov't really have the right to be taxing that? I'm guessing the answer is, yes. Poop.

ljlemer

QuoteAstronaut318i - 6/24/2008  6:44 PM

So...its looking like its a no go for the Canadian part?

But what about this angle: they're not being taxed, because they're not being purchased by someone. We're private citizens trading things as a hobby. Does the Canadian gov't really have the right to be taxing that? I'm guessing the answer is, yes. Poop.

Roll Call!! All Canadians please stand up!

Thomas Mann

tnt956

I'd love to join this pass but I have a humidor full of those JR Limited Edition cigars and that's it.  I was thinking of having my own "Help Me Diversify" cigar pass.

ljlemer

Quotetnt956 - 6/24/2008  9:26 PM

I'd love to join this pass but I have a humidor full of those JR Limited Edition cigars and that's it.  I was thinking of having my own "Help Me Diversify" cigar pass.

Didn't you read my post where I said I needed to find someone with lots of different JR Alternatives to trade with?

Thomas Mann

nukbucko

I dont mind come on in
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

tnt956

They are good!

tnt956

All right.  If everyone doesn't mind, I'll get in.

nukbucko

Do to a personal matter it will be delyed one week. I am sorry I will update you all if it will be sent out sooner
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

texlewee

As long as you dont hold up Maduro Madness......

LOL!!! :lmao:

nukbucko

Ok new cigar list
I am shipping on sat june 28th get readt tex

nukbucko

What do you guys think about the Cigar list???

qman22

List is fine to me.  I am anxious to get in on this one, since I sat the last couple out.
Lets GOOOOOOOO Mountaineers!

Turboknat

Astronaut318i

I like it. I've never encountered anything on that list, so it should be good times.

wunderdawg

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=wunderdawg

I'm a man...But I can change....If I have to...I guess.............Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving might not be for you!!

texlewee

Seems Muy bueno to me.

Several I haven't had in that group.....

Hell, I might take em all.......       :biggrin:

Just kidding.....

wunderdawg

It looks like 2 of the 3 passes will hit my door about the same time.......sweet
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=wunderdawg

wunderdawg

It looks like 2 of the 3 passes will hit my door about the same time.......sweet

texlewee

I havent heard from Turbo in a couple of days.... His puts and takes are already listed, but no ship confirm or response. :confused:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.