Humidifier size.

Started by Alfred, 04/06/2012 11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfred

Hi you gys,

I am making a vice cabinet that is going to hold wine pipe tobacco pipes and of course it will have a built in humidor for my cigars. Now the humidor size is around 300 cubic inches which is approx. 0.17cubic feet, approximately between 80 to 100 counts . I found this acryl polymer based adorini deluxe humidifier with adjustable ventilation openings that costs $70, and then there is the OASIS ULTRA ELECTRONIC HUMIDIFICATION that costs $80. So the difference is so small that I thought about buying  the latter. Now I like the idea of the electronic system but I do not know if I am over killing it with such small humidor. The other system is the Boveda humidity packs which will get less space in the humidor. Would you guys please help me here and let me know what do you think about those systems and/or add any other that you have used successfully. Thank you

Brlesq

You don't need an electronic humidifier for a small humidor of that size.  It would be a waste of money and valuable space.  Go with KL or humidity sheets.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

BigTA

QuoteBrlesq - 4/6/2012 9:59 AM You don't need an electronic humidifier for a small humidor of that size. It would be a waste of money and valuable space. Go with KL or humidity sheets.

X2

Cheap sex, Cheap booze, Cheap cigars, Everybody loves a bargain.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=BigTA

nwb

QuoteBrlesq - 4/6/2012  12:59 PM

You don't need an electronic humidifier for a small humidor of that size.  It would be a waste of money and valuable space.  Go with KL or humidity sheets.

What he said!
Chief of Shaft

ROTHNH

Quotenwb - 4/6/2012  1:53 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 4/6/2012  12:59 PM

What he said!

Absolutely agree.

Alfred

Wow!!! My wife is gonna be so happy when I tell her that this time I asked first. How about the Boveda system?

ROTHNH

QuoteAlfred - 4/6/2012  4:01 PM

Wow!!! My wife is gonna be so happy when I tell her that this time I asked first. How about the Boveda system?

Boveda makes good stuff, but IMO it's expensive ... hint: a bag of kitty litter (see the Cigar Geeks article by Cigary here) is cheap, will last you many years and its rock solid reliable.

uplander12ga

QuoteROTHNH - 4/6/2012  4:17 PM

QuoteAlfred - 4/6/2012  4:01 PM

Boveda makes good stuff, but IMO it's expensive ... hint: a bag of kitty litter (see the Cigar Geeks article by Cigary here) is cheap, will last you many years and its rock solid reliable.

:word: X's 2
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it, everything fades away, your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. ~Raul Julia

Brlesq

Boveda are great, but like ROTHNH said, expensive.  Plan on spending $45/year that route.  Though I am one of the KL advocates here, I think for a box of that size you could just use a humidity sheet and save the space.  I use these in a lot of my smaller humidors.

Here is where you buy them.  Always go for overkill on what you need, so with the cu/in that you gave above, you should get the 4.5"x6.5" sheet for $3.99.  Shipping is less than $2 (and free if you are military).    You will need a spray bottle (a buck at WalMart) and distilled water (another buck). Less than $8 and problem is resolved.

http://heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%25+Humidity+Sheets
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

gitfiddl

I can't say enough about the kitty litter.  I opened one of my humidors for the first time in 3-4 months since seasoning it and adding the cigars.  I'd actually forgotten where I'd put this humidor.  In it, I'm using a coffin case with KL.  I opened it up, expecting the digital hygrometer to read in the 40-50% range.  To my amazement, the hygrometer said 67% after three months of inattention.  The humidor is one of those cheap Thompson Cherrywood 50-ct humis you get with their $30 sampler deal, so it ain't nothing special.

The other three desktop humidors I've got running on KL have similar results.  I just popped open the plastic humidifiers, pulled out the foam, filled them with KL, stretched a piece of pantyhose over it and snapped the cover back in place.  They have required less maintenance than the humidors I have beads in.  I'm using the cheap Makall Mimi Litter I found at WalMart.  I think I paid $2.99 for a 4lb bag.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

1sgjeffward

QuoteBrlesq - 4/6/2012  2:30 PM

Boveda are great, but like ROTHNH said, expensive.  Plan on spending $45/year that route.  Though I am one of the KL advocates here, I think for a box of that size you could just use a humidity sheet and save the space.  I use these in a lot of my smaller humidors.

Here is where you buy them.  Always go for overkill on what you need, so with the cu/in that you gave above, you should get the 4.5"x6.5" sheet for $3.99.  Shipping is less than $2 (and free if you are military).    You will need a spray bottle (a buck at WalMart) and distilled water (another buck). Less than $8 and problem is resolved.

http://heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%25+Humidity+Sheets

x2. Real nice thing about these is they can be cut! So if your going to need it for different areas get the bigger sheets and just cut them down. Other nice thing is they can be placed on the sides if needed.
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.