Mini Fridge Humi

Started by 1sgjeffward, 04/06/2012 08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1sgjeffward

Can't remember who was asking about the Mini Fridge conversion? But I do remember I promised to get around to posting pics.

Mini Fridge $20 you can find em for free though.
Cedar shelves $22 Woodcrafters Ea board gives you 2 shelves
Wood dowel for bottom $.99
Oust Fan $10 Amazon.com
2 Hygrometers
KL tubs x2

Now keep in mind this is NOT where I keep my top shelf stuff but you could it holds right at 65-67% RH. This is to keep my daily/lower dollar stuff to free space in my tower.

Good luck and enjoy  :dancing:
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

Beegerply

Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

fretburn

Thats sweet man. You did mention pics in one of my posts, ive been waitin to see it. Love how you made use of the door racks.
Ron

"Is the poop deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Jay Simpson

"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Jay Simpson

1sgjeffward

QuoteBeegerply - 4/6/2012  7:51 PM

Pic's Jeff pic's :confused:

are the pics not showing?
Jeff

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

1sgjeffward

Yours could have been the one I was thinking about? Ya like I said it doesn't work so I just drilled an extra set of holes, .99 wood dowel and tada :biggrin: The bundling have to give Elliot (doubleott05) credit for that idea. Sorry if the pics are a little dark.
Jeff

? André Gide

Ken Kelley

Hmmm...reckon I might have to look into getting one of them there machines. Looks like it might be pretty handy if the price is free.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Beegerply

Quote1sgjeffward - 4/6/2012  9:00 PM

QuoteBeegerply - 4/6/2012  7:51 PM

Pic's Jeff pic's :confused:

are the pics not showing?

See them now.
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

lukin

Nice set-up!  I still haven't decided whether or not to use my door or cover it with cedar, but I like the way you have it.  I'm getting the cedar shelving this summer I think for sure to finish it off.  I love my mini-fridgeador.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

1sgjeffward

QuoteAlphairon - 4/6/2012  8:11 PM

Hmmm...reckon I might have to look into getting one of them there machines. Looks like it might be pretty handy if the price is free.

Ya if your not in a hurry just keep your eyes open on craig's list and stuff. I could have gotten one free but was kinda beat up and the female said "your not gonna bring that piece of crap in the house are you?" which translates of course into NO! You can't see it but used 4" boards so that there is a 2" gap between slats for airflow. Very cheap way to get a good humi.

Can't really take credit for any of it. Was just using a tray with KL then Bruce sent me instructions for the KL containers, Elliot for the bundles etc. just kinda took a bunch of ideas that worked for me and put em into this  :dancing: Bruce also told me from once again yet another member where to get the little Oust battery fans for circulation and THOSE are the bomb! You guys come up with great ideas and I put em into practice  :biggrin:
Jeff

? André Gide

Cigary

I am impressed enough to where I may have to try this.  Obviously your getting great RH control and the KL sure helps in this Im sure.

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Bob Cordell

I dont even plug mine up, great seal and holds humidity very well, they got too juicy sometimes!
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

1sgjeffward

Quotelukin - 4/6/2012  8:34 PM

Nice set-up!  I still haven't decided whether or not to use my door or cover it with cedar, but I like the way you have it.  I'm getting the cedar shelving this summer I think for sure to finish it off.  I love my mini-fridgeador.

If you look on the door of mine I just put the 3-4" scraps from the shelves behind the smokes. That bottom shelf on the door the dowel was .99 and you can see it adds a good deal of single storage. I can open and close it several times and my RH is stable again in an hour or so that tells me there is plenty of cedar as a buffer. Only thing I go out of my way to do is as you can see alternate boxes etc to try and keep good air flow but ya I'm with you it's the bomb!
Jeff

? André Gide

nwb

Very cool.  Nice setup!
Chief of Shaft

Torske

Nice rig!  :bigthumbs:

Great work with the door, much better than my fridgador. It's my old fridge, and slightly smaller than yours. I have to boast a little bit regarding the pre-work. I cleaned it like I've never cleaned anything else in my whole life.  :biggrin: 6 treatments with detergent, and 4 with clean water. The last stunt I did before I start using it was 6 weeks with a  bowl of vinegar water, and the door a little bit open. Quite honestly I didn't have too much to put in it at that time  :shy:

The next 3 months I put in an electronic humidifier, an extra hygrometer, 4 cedar trays and 1,5 pounds of 70%Rh Heartfelt Humidity Beads. The last upgrade I've done was removing the icebox. There is not much use for the elecronic humidifier, since I had problems to get the Fridgadoor down to 70%Rh.  I started to use it about a year ago.  By now it's app. 50% filled, rock steady at 70% and temp +/- 3 degrees round 65 F summer and winter. For some unknown reason it takes much less refilling of the beads than the beads in my one year old Cuban Crafters Elegancia humi.It's another brand (Cigar Mechanic 70%RH) I'm quite pleased with the Fridgador. U gave some ideas with that door, I have do something before I have filled the rest of it up.

My next project is to buy a decent 300 sticks humidor for aging, and a tiny little one for my infusing project, and.... etc, etc. I'm a real stupid SOB, should have started the Big Adventure about cigars many years ago.:hitme:  I really enjoying every little aspect regarding cigars. Lucky me, I also get a slight hangover if I smoke over 3 sticks a day. Makes it a little bit easier to control the big animal in my stomack (read ex smoker...) I'm trying to hold my consumpton to 3 sticks/week, but U know;  -some days U just slipping  :whistle:

--
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
John Kenneth Galbraith
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Torske
"To smoke a cigar has absolutely nothing to do with smoking. It's all about enjoying of life"
Ex smoker (me)

horrido

Nice but where is the beer?
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

irratebass

Very cool Jeff, my next project is a cooler then maybe step up to this then .......
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=irratebass

cocon

WOOOOO - Ric Flair

Train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins - Hulk Hogan

1sgjeffward

Quotehorrido - 4/14/2012  4:43 AM

If you look at the last picture you can see the edge of the slightly bigger mini fridge sitting next to it! Has beer, soda, water etc. :dancing:

My man cave is relatively small but has all trimmings. Will have to post a few pics when get it a little closer to done.
Jeff

? André Gide

pferg

very nice. i though of doing this if i found a free mini fridge, or even a free big fridge

gitfiddl

Quote1sgjeffward - 4/14/2012  10:09 AM

Quotehorrido - 4/14/2012  4:43 AM

If you look at the last picture you can see the edge of the slightly bigger mini fridge sitting next to it! Has beer, soda, water etc. :dancing:

My man cave is relatively small but has all trimmings. Will have to post a few pics when get it a little closer to done.

No man cave is truly complete without one of these:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

uplander12ga

Very cool set up Jeff!:thumbsup:
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it, everything fades away, your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. ~Raul Julia

billy82

But I really liked the name "Wish Stealer". It had a Native American ring to it. -Brlesq

A wise geek once told me that moving up from a daily smoke to a weekly or even bi-monthly smoke would be worth it, if I could learn how to appreciate a really really good cigar. -southernrun
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=billy82

1sgjeffward

$20 Fridge
$14 8lb Exquisicat KL (Covered 6 other Humi's as well!)
$28 Spanish Cedar
$62 Total Cost

Very cost effective way to go when you look at the space you get and the ease of conversion. Currently holding 11 boxes and 75 singles.
Jeff

? André Gide

Shukpaw

Looks good.  Nice setup.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.