MM Cob Pipe problem

Started by kola, 03/11/2012 06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam a

QuoteAlphairon - 4/3/2012  3:54 PM  This episode leaves me real curious like. I have been meaning to get an MM pipe for the longest time and I want to query the audience as to which model to spring for. Also want to get some tobacco closest to my cigar tastes...maduro, full bodied, full strength, and with some sweetness, so what do you suggest?

for the MM i suggest the missouri pride with a natural finish. i find the natural versions smoke cooler and dryer. and for tobacco... i'd think you would enjoy some of GL pease's english/balkan blends, and probably ones w/ cigar leaf. a few good ones to check out might be:

chelsea morning

quiet nights

key largo

maltese falcon

lagonda

blackpoint

kensington

westminster

Any cigars portrayed in this post that appear to be Cuban in origin are completely fictional in nature. Any resemblance between these cigars and actual Cuban cigars is unintended and purely coincidental.

Ken Kelley

OK, thanks for the advice. I'll pull up the MM site and see what happens next.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

nwb

That's easy Ken.  You'll spend even more money on tobacco related items.

Now aren't I helpful? :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

lukin

Quotenwb - 4/3/2012  7:44 PM

That's easy Ken.  You'll spend even more money on tobacco related items.

Now aren't I helpful? :biggrin:

I justify my pipe purchases by telling myself that I'm saving money by smoking pipes on occasion instead of cigars.  In reality, I just end up buying more of both.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

wlfwalleye

Quotekola - 4/3/2012  5:39 PM

Last night I finally convinced myself that the pipe mud was cured. I loaded up a bowl of Danish Black & Gold and lit up.  It worked perfectly!  I did not notice any taste transfer from the mud.  The bottom of the pipe held up without incident during the smoke, and I tested its strength when cleaning the pipe afterward. No problems at all. I am happy :-)

The Big Brown Truck just brought me a new Country Gentleman cob today. The very first thing I am doing (right now, in fact) is to prepare a batch of mud to protect the bottom of the bowl. Thanks again to Kyle for the info on pipe mud!

Glad it worked out for you Armin!

ROTHNH

Quotenwb - 4/3/2012  9:02 PM

QuoteAlphairon - 4/3/2012  6:54 PM

This episode leaves me real curious like. I have been meaning to get an MM pipe for the longest time and I want to query the audience as to which model to spring for. Also want to get some tobacco closest to my cigar tastes...maduro, full bodied, full strength, and with some sweetness, so what do you suggest?

Like Armin, I have a Country Gentleman MM which smokes great.  As far as tobacco, I've enjoyed offerings from SG and Rattrays.  Pretty stout smokes.

You can also check out the reviews here:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

I'd also recommend the Country Gentleman as the best choice.  MM makes other types, including pipes with hardwood bowls, "odd" shapes such as  a MacArthur, but for me, the Country Gentleman is MM's best line ... still under ten bucks.

87North

QuoteROTHNH - 4/4/2012  10:35 AM

Quotenwb - 4/3/2012  9:02 PM

QuoteAlphairon - 4/3/2012  6:54 PM

This episode leaves me real curious like. I have been meaning to get an MM pipe for the longest time and I want to query the audience as to which model to spring for. Also want to get some tobacco closest to my cigar tastes...maduro, full bodied, full strength, and with some sweetness, so what do you suggest?

Like Armin, I have a Country Gentleman MM which smokes great.  As far as tobacco, I've enjoyed offerings from SG and Rattrays.  Pretty stout smokes.

You can also check out the reviews here:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

I'd also recommend the Country Gentleman as the best choice.  MM makes other types, including pipes with hardwood bowls, "odd" shapes such as  a MacArthur, but for me, the Country Gentleman is MM's best line ... still under ten bucks.

I agree that the Country Gentleman is a good cob, but I've had a few Legends along the way and while they're smaller with the slick finish, I like to throw them in the glovebox of the truck.  Loaded with a bit of GH&Co. Kendall Kentucky for a quick smoke if I'm on the go somewhere...   :confused:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

mobarbq

Just for those who might be interested, EA Carey Smokeshop is running a sale on MM's.  I love that MacArthur!  Check it out: http://www.eacarey.com/corncobs.html

lukin

I have a MacArthur, but the bowl is so deep I'm not too sure how to pack it and don't want to waste my good tobacco.  Do you end up wasting a lot once it gets too far down to relight?
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

87North

Quotelukin - 4/13/2012  7:06 AM

I have a MacArthur, but the bowl is so deep I'm not too sure how to pack it and don't want to waste my good tobacco.  Do you end up wasting a lot once it gets too far down to relight?

Just get you one of those long stick/barbecue lighters...  :biggrin:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

Hot Stuff x

I have a MM American Patriot, i'm real happy with it
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.