A Blind Taste Test

Started by SenorPablo, 07/06/2008 08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhuss

Quotejunglepete - 7/9/2008  6:47 PM
Thanks Paul....looking forward to the little treat and to the challenge of identification.  :-)

Definitely!  I'm gettin all excited now!

One question, though.  Can we go ahead and smoke it and post a review here in this thread as soon as we get it, or should we wait for anything in particular?

SenorPablo

Quotemhuss - 7/10/2008  10:03 AM

Quotejunglepete - 7/9/2008  6:47 PM
Thanks Paul....looking forward to the little treat and to the challenge of identification.  :-)

Definitely!  I'm gettin all excited now!

One question, though.  Can we go ahead and smoke it and post a review here in this thread as soon as we get it, or should we wait for anything in particular?

Go for it once you get it.  I would just rather not have any guessing of the brand until after everyone smokes.
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

tnt956

I guess I'm the first one up!

Construction was great, burned even throughout and had an easy draw.  The flavor through the first quarter of the cigar resembled tree bark, but not in a bad way; it was a decent flavor.  It developed and smoothed out about halfway through and retained the woody flavor.  I would say the smoke was medium bodied.  The wrapper, on the other hand, was dull without much flavor.  In all, I'd give it a 3 1/2.

I will go on record saying I'm fairly certain I've had this cigar before although I don't think I'll be able to identify it.

junglepete

Exactly how many was there in on this? I figure I wll probably be the last one to review it in that it will probably take the longest to get here.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

mhuss

Quotetnt956 - 7/10/2008  9:49 PM
I guess I'm the first one up!

How'd you get yours so quick, hand delivery??

junglepete

This is a challenge. I will probably have read all the reviews before reviewing mine. I will not be swayed one bit  :biggrin:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

tnt956

Quotemhuss - 7/10/2008  9:42 PM

How'd you get yours so quick, hand delivery??

That is correct!

bslatner

If I had a dollar for every time I did that to one of my own cigars...I could afford more cigars :dancing:

Don't worry, I won't hold that against it.

Thanks for doing this!

QuoteSenorPablo - 7/8/2008  1:43 PM
Quotebslatner - 7/8/2008  7:54 AMAs long as nuckbucko is feeling self-sacrificial, I'll be more than happy to take his place :cigarman:
I can get you one as well Bryan, but it is the last one and has an issue with the wrapper.  When I tried to remove the band it tore a piece of the wrapper off.  Try not to hold that against the stick when you review it.  ;-)

Astronaut318i

I just got mine! Wooo!

Duker511

I got mine today!!!!!! It looks pretty good, nicely rolled and firm. I think Ill smoke it tonight. It came this morning so my girlfriend put it in my humi for me, what a nice girl. :dancing:

Thanks alot Paul, this is a great idea. Im thinking of doing one myself sometime.
Tim

wunderdawg

Got mine today too.......thanks Paul for doing this, it should be fun.
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=wunderdawg

I'm a man...But I can change....If I have to...I guess.............Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving might not be for you!!

mhuss

I got mine as well today!  It does look great!  Nice dark, firm and toothy wrapper.  Good construction.  Looks really appetizing.  It's a pretty common size, so this one may be very difficult to nail down.  I guess it'll all come down to the flavor and whatnot.  Should be fun and interesting.  I'll try and smoke this tonight and post my thoughts.  Thanks again for including me in this Paul!

nukbucko

I got mine Hmmmmmmmmmmm. No clue
Im going to smoke mine tonight
I got the damaged one
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

texlewee

Mine was in the mail box....

Nice initial aroma.  SLightly veiny wrapper. Cap seems to be in good shape.......

Plan on smoking tomorrow :dancing:
" The only thing better than a good cigar is ANOTHER good cigar. "

" What a pleasant stain comes from an enemy's blood.  "

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=texlewee

Duker511

Well, I smoked it. This is going to be hard, it tastes very familiar.

This cigar looked good, it was rolled well with a good pre smoke aroma. After lighting, it started out mild and tasty with a sweet aftertaste. As it burned it became more intense with lots of rich aged tobacco flavor. It had a thick dark wrapper that held up to constant puffing. It tastes like something Ive had before but I cant put my finger on it. It was a little bumpy which made me think it was a short, or mixed filler. After tearing the nub apart, it was a long filler.

I have no idea what this is, however it may come to me. Good luck to all involved, I hope someone wins the fiver.  Thanks again Paul, I wont be the one to guess right but I enjoyed it very much. :biggrin:
Tim

nukbucko

I think i also smoked it before about 2.5 inches left it fell apart all long filler
Im not going to say anything intill everyone had a chance to smoke but I have narrowed down to 3 brands I think
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

mhuss

Sorry guys, I didn't get a chance to enjoy this tonight.  I was really looking forward to it, but just didn't seem to find the time to get to it.  Maybe tomorrow night.  If not, then definitely Sunday.  I only work until 3:30 Sunday, so I should definitely be able to fit it in then, by the latest.

stogie_foggie

Received mine today as well.  I had to go to a function tonight, but I did look at it....  :biggrin:
Will smoke it this weekend for sure.  Thanks again for including me.
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

texlewee

.... Sitting here in the middle of my floor surrounded by cigars.... trying to find one in my stash that matches....

I think I've narrowed it down to 2...........  

Gonna smoke the ???, then the other 2, and then......

ljlemer

I am so stupid! I got Paul's box, but I forgot about the blind test and thought he bombed me with something so exotic that it had no label. I actually wrote and thanked him and asked him why he took the label off. If I had any shame I'd be embarrassed. Nevermind Paul! I won't be able to smoke it til Monday night.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Duker511

I should have saved mine for this weekend, but I just recieved a big shipment of cigars so I will be busy smoking all weekend. :dancing:

And thanks for the CG cards Paul, they will come in handy.  :biggrin:
Tim

bslatner

Got mine yesterday...gonna smoke tonight.

texlewee

Smoked mine today....

Nice leathery cigar from light to nub. SLightly spicy. No real maduro characteristics, nor did I taste any real ligero. The dark wrapper was very deceiving to me.  I expected some darker tones and maybe some cocoa or dark chocolate hints, but I didn't really get any.

Not a very complex cigar, but generally a good cigar. the draw was very nice. The burn was even, and the ash held well. Kind of a flakey ash with salt and pepper. It did get a bit bitter as I neared the band. :confused:

I think I know what it may be............

stogie_foggie

Smoked mine today - pretty much what everyone else said.  That was a pretty good cigar.  Started out mild and sweet and moved into a stronger, full bodied smoke.  I did have trouble with the wrapper cracking but I'll bet that had a lot to do with it being dry from shipping.

I think I have an idea of what country this came from and on that, I think I know the brand but not the specific line.  I'll guess when everyone else does....  

Thanks, Paul.
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

ljlemer

I'm smoking it at this very moment. It tastes good. Especially after 9 days without a smoke. I have no idea what it is. I'm not finished yet.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.