Escape room games, available on escaperoom are immersive experiences where players collaborate to solve puzzles within themed environments. These adventures challenge teams to unravel stories and find clues under a time constraint, offering thrilling teamwork and problem-solving opportunities. Visit escaperoom.com to discover a world of engaging and exciting escape room challenges. <a href="https://escaperoom.com/">Escaperoom</a>

Main Menu

Change of heart

Started by Alfred, 04/23/2012 03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfred

Ok after being buying my cigars almost daily for lack of a humidor, and after frustrating myself trying to make a nice wooden one, I have decided to go with an Igloodor. No some experienced opinions are needed.

1.- KL, Boveda packs, beads, or sheets?
2.- Should I open a hole and install my round Xicar digital hygrometer? if so at the top, in the middle or towards the bottom? Or a wireless or wired outside monitor with a sensor in it?
3.- I am planing in putting a small fan for air circulation. What would be the technicalities behind this Time running vs idle time? location and direction?
4.- Last, cigars need breathing fresh air? if so a coolidor is not very good at supplying that. Open the door 4 to 5 days a week to look for my daily cigar will be enough or I have to once in a while leave the door open.

Sorry about the long list of questions.

Thank you so much.

Alfred

Brlesq

1.  KL

2.  No holes!  Just put the hygrometer inside.  Yuo will have to open the igloodor to look at it.

3.  Most people don't put a fan in these, but if you are determined, then find a small battery powered fan like an Oust.

4.  Answer to #2 resolves question for #4.

5.  Unsolicted Advice - Store this in a closet with no chance of getting sunlight and nowhere near a heat vent.

Take pictures and show us your progress!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

lubrix

I would leave the digital hygrometer free in the inside so you can move it around and see if any spots have a lower r/h.Would not recommend leaving it open.Opening it every 4 or 5 days should be fine.Some members have more experience with these types.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

cocon

There is a good article written by a fellow geek here on our website.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=46
WOOOOO - Ric Flair

Train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins - Hulk Hogan

Jackal

4) Opening the lid once a week should be quite adequate to keep the air fresh.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Alfred

Thank you guys for all the input. Now if you smoke one cigar a day one has to open the coolidor daily.

Romeo

another learning experience for me here on Geeks..thank you guys
I think there's to much smoke In this cigar shop I once heard someone say before I threw them out !

nwb

I think you will be impressed with the functionality of a coolidor.  If I didn't have my cabinet, I'd use one exclusively.
Chief of Shaft

mike.casey

I took a thin piece of a saw blade that I cut into a rectangle and superglued it to the lid inside the cooler. Most wally world hygrometers have a magnetic strip on the back, so I attach it to that.  Anytime I open the cooler the hygrometer is looking me in the face, plus it's not laying on my cigars.

I also built a tray to sit on top, for the cigars that I would like to try soon. The ones that I'm "aging" stay below the tray, and do not have to be disturbed when grabbing a smoke.

Fans are not necessary in the least.
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

sullivan8078

All great advice here! I have a 50 count and a 100 count humi and just filled my first coolidor with misc. boxes. I highly recommend as a cabinet alternative. If buying, I would defintely go bigger think 120qt versus the smaller options. Although a lot of people have that extra 50qt laying around just begging to be used for something. :-)
-David
"Ceiling fan stirs the air, cigar smoke did swirl."- J.B.

Hot Stuff x

My 64-quart coolidor has been rock solid for going on 3 years.  No fan or vent holes.  Once the humidity stabilizes you are golden.  Dont leave it open any more than you have to.  I keep mine as full as possible with empty cigar boxes when it is not full of cigars....helps minimize the amount of outside air that gets in when you take a peek.   Also I have 4 cedar trays that I bought from cheaphumidors.com to keep my singles organized.  If the trays are full I use old cigar boxes to store the rest.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Hot Stuff x

here's an old picture, but you get the idea.  The oust fan died shortly after I bought it.  It didn't seem to make any difference.

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

fretburn

There are 2 good articles on coolidors now in the articles section.

I recently did a coolerdor. A small 48qt. Got some empty cigar boxes to hold many of my sticks. The boxes i didnt use i took out the cedar and placed em around the edges of the cooler. I have plastic trays on top for alot of my singles, put some cedar pieces in the bottom of them to keep the sticks off the plastic.

I went the KL route thanks to recommendations of many folks here and highly recommend it. Another good read in the articles section. I have about 10 oz in a tupperware with holes drilled in the lid and it sits at a steady 69-70% now that everything is seasoned. Even after i have it open for a bit, after an hour or so its right back to rock steady.

I use a digital hygrometer and do move it around a bit to check RH differences, but havent had much flux.

I use my wooden humidors to transfer sticks to so they lose a lil RH before i smoke em if i need to, some smokes are better it seems though at the higher humidity.

Awesome pics Les.

Ron

"Is the poop deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Jay Simpson

"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Jay Simpson

87North

QuoteBrlesq - 4/23/2012  3:29 PM

2.  No holes!

Excellent advice that can be applied to so many different situations.   :biggrin:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.