Cutting hole in a black-ops cutter

Started by blue heron, 06/19/2012 06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue heron

Okay, I chalk it up to being a newbie - I got a black-ops double guillotine cutter and when it arrived I discovered that there was a plate (plastic) behind the hole you put the cigar into. Perfect cut every time, they say. Well, I found it to be too shallow and have to cut a cigar more than once to get a decent cut. Shaving off fractions also makes it hard to get a clean cut. And forget about using it with a torpedo!

Lesson learned, I just bought a Xikar on cbid (and since I had to pay shipping on that one item, I figured I'd just put in a few bids on some other things and then a few more....thank goodness I was outbid on most of them - another lesson learned!).

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has successfully performed "surgery" on the black-ops cutter. I'd like to cut a hole in the back plate to allow a bigger cut. I think drilling would probably work best, but I don't have a drill bit large enough. Since it's plastic, I wonder whether it might be possible to burn a hole (red hot screwdriver?) and then file or sand the edges.

Since it's destined to be a backup cutter, I wouldn't mind experimenting on it, and since folks here seem pretty resourceful I thought someone might have already given it a try.

So what do you think is the best way to make a hole in the thing?

PETE314

I am afraid I won't be much help...But I am curious as I have seen those cutters and they remind me of the Cuban Crafter Perfect Cut cutters that I have...except the CC's have a small hole for the torpedo's and it also allows just a hair more of the regule caps to be cut...For me..mine work perfect...  I know some people want alittle more cut on the torpedo's and belicoso's...but I actually like the slightly smaller cut as (similar to the chisel tip) I think it concentrates the smoke a little....

I hope you find what you are looking for ...I haen't seen what you have so if you are going to drill...my suggestion would be to go slowly to avoid cracking...
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Cfickter

Interesting, I just ordered one myself
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

horrido

"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

gitfiddl

A couple of years ago, I ordered a couple of samplers from Cigarfox.com.  They all came with cutters with a solid backside (okay, insert sexual commentary here).  I took a drill to a couple and used a fine rat-tail file to smooth the edges out (insert more commentary if you so desire).  I've got several cutters with solid backs.  I grab whatever's handy if the cigar is of the parejo varietal.  If the cigar is a torpedo, then I use a cutter better fitted to the task.  The brands Buck, Case and Schrade come to mind...

:biggrin:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

BFry Cigar Guy

I  have one of those too and it doesn't get much use from me. I need to invest in a nice solid cutter, every time I have a cigar with nirab I can't help but ask to use his Xikar V cutter. So I would have to agree with horrido about getting one of those.
Ben

Shukpaw

Quotehorrido - 6/19/2012  5:26 PM

Xikar V cutter......get one

Agreed.  We need to make owning one of these as one of the requirement to be an expert on this site.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

vw77guy

I have one and it works just fine.  I guess if it's too shallow of a cut you could drill out the back nice and slow and basiclly have a standard cutter.  We've had threads before on cutter preference.  I'd say that we all have different cutters, we all have different go to cutters, and we all use a different cutter for a different occasion.  If you're new to cigars, you may want to hold on to what you have there and just get a few other different cutters and come back to it in the future to see if it might work for you the way it is.  Otherwise, take a big a$$ drill bit to it!!!!!!!

DonM

QuoteShukpaw - 6/20/2012  1:48 AM

Agreed.  We need to make owning one of these as one of the requirement to be an expert on this site.

OOPS guess I need to get one, but have been perfectly happy with my Palio that gets regular use and my Xikar Ultra.  I have a Xikar Redwood collecting dust as well as the MTX.  So I am not cutter poor.  I tried one of the Cheap V cutters and it was ok but nothing to do back blips about

"The Curmudgeon"

lubrix

It's worth it in the long run to get a nice cutter and no more doing damage to your sticks.I mostly use my Palio,but I also use different cutters and cuts depending on the Vitola.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

nwb

Quotelubrix - 6/20/2012  8:06 AM
It's worth it in the long run to get a nice cutter....

Very true.  The last thing I want to worry about when smoking is unraveling or damaging a nice cigar.  I agree with horrido - the Xikar V-Cut is very nice.  For a straight cut, I prefer Palio.
Chief of Shaft

DonM

QuoteShukpaw - 6/20/2012  1:48 AM

OK so I made a trip to ABC liquor to restock after work, they have a decent selection of cigars in their humidor.  At check out they had a Cuban Crafter V cutter on display, be it an inexpensive one, I snagged one.  Tried it on a MOW Side Project Little Devil, made a respectable cut!  The smoke was great and I met the requirement for being an expert all in one :biggrin:

"The Curmudgeon"

blue heron

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I had pretty much decided that drilling was the way to go. Then I just couldn't resist experimenting a little first. I took a regular lighter and heated up the plastic (turns out it's pretty soft) and then pushed it out with the round top of a small screwdriver. Now it bulges out on the other side about an eighth of an inch. The cut is better on cigars with a round top, but not much improvement so far with wider cigars where the caps aren't so round.

It seems the center of the plastic is a little thinner and gives easily. I'm going to keep heating and pushing so it's a more gently rounded bulge. I might just get it to where I won't even need to drill.

grabow66

Dangit. Now ive got to get one too. :(
If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

nirab

Xikar V Cutter...is all you really need. horrido nails it with true wisdom and Canadian confidence!  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

horrido

Quotenirab - 6/20/2012  6:43 PM

Xikar V Cutter...is all you really need. horrido nails it with true wisdom and Canadian confidence!  :biggrin:

Well if I would have said Shukrin then I would have been lynched and hung here. I still like that one but the metal cased Xikar V is the cats meow.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Cfickter

Quotehorrido - 6/19/2012  8:26 PM  Xikar V cutter......get one

I have a V cutter by Craftsman's Bench. Does a great job. Have the Xikar Body Wave also. Depends on what I am smoking sometimes. Prefer the V mostly

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.