Punch or cut?

Started by Daimonrunge, 07/09/2012 02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daimonrunge

Another newbie question for the geeks. I have a nice cutter that my wife bought me for my birthday (along with my humidor... Pics soon) and I have a Colibri lighter coming with a punch built in. When is it best to cut or punch. Are there certain cigars or cigar types that go better one way or the other or is it simply a matter of personal preference?  Thanks in advance for your answers.
-Daimon

Zilla

I find it is just a matter of preference.  I enjoy my cigars better when I cut them.
My Humidor: http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=zilla

"And a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke."  Rudyard Kipling

Shukpaw

I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

Daimonrunge

I'd heard v cut was the way to go. Is it really that much better than a double guillotine?
-Daimon

lubrix

I am a cutter.The type of cut for me sometimes depends on the vitola of the stick.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

DonM

I have been using the V cut alot, it works great on coronas

"The Curmudgeon"

billy82

Its really up to you. I very rarely use a punch.   I have a  guillotine  cutter  for now. I been using a v-cutter at my local B&M and been liking it a lot more
But I really liked the name "Wish Stealer". It had a Native American ring to it. -Brlesq

A wise geek once told me that moving up from a daily smoke to a weekly or even bi-monthly smoke would be worth it, if I could learn how to appreciate a really really good cigar. -southernrun
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=billy82

szyzk

I prefer a punch... I even use it on Torpedos/Belicosos, and revert to a straight cut if the draw seems too tight.

toby2

i punch or v cut smaller rings.

BigTA

V-cut most of the time, Will punch if I dont have a a v-cutter ..
Cheap sex, Cheap booze, Cheap cigars, Everybody loves a bargain.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=BigTA

Cigary

I have used a V Cut since 1999 and find it works on just about every type of vitola...I'll also use a straight cut too but my favorite is a V.

kylepwhalen

I think it's just personal preference

Daimonrunge

Going to have to wait until next month to be able to get one, but is there a v-cutter that anyone would recommend over others?
-Daimon

PKAmmoTroop

I cut, never did enjoy the punch. I haven't had the chance to use a V cutter yet but I hear it's great on short filler cigars - it cuts down on the confetti
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
    - Terry Pratchett

nirab

Xikar V cut all the way. If the draw is too tight, then I go to my Xikar Xi3 and clip the end. Done!  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Hapcigar

A bunch of seconds here.  

1) A cut is a personal preference thing.
2) I prefer a V-Cut.
3) Xikar V-Cut is the best.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

MT21

I only use a punch on short filler cigars.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

Jackal

I played around with punches for a wile.  I do like them, but, for me, they have the tenancy to promote irregular burning.  V-cut is a good compromise.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

CrazyK

QuoteHapcigar - 7/9/2012  12:21 PM

A bunch of seconds here.  

1) A cut is a personal preference thing.
2) I prefer a V-Cut.
3) Xikar V-Cut is the best.

x 2 - I got my Xikar V-Cutter a couple months ago and have not used anything since. I love it.
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

ROTHNH

I use as Xikar STK (double guillotine) all the time.

It's important to note that I've seen folks experience more problems with cigar punches than any other type of cutter.  But in a pinch (i.e., using the punch on your lighter) I would think that convenient.

Shukpaw

An additional note on using the punch.  It might be obvious, but I point this out because it wasn't obvious to me until I damaged a couple cigars.  When you punch, don't just push it in.  You want to twist it until it cuts the wrapper, then you can push it the rest of the way in.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

irratebass

This weekend I revisited my punch, man I do love to punch sometimes.
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=irratebass

Daimonrunge

QuoteShukpaw - 7/9/2012  11:36 AM  An additional note on using the punch.  It might be obvious, but I point this out because it wasn't obvious to me until I damaged a couple cigars.  When you punch, don't just push it in.  You want to twist it until it cuts the wrapper, then you can push it the rest of the way in.

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I've never used a punch before and it's good information to have before my lighter gets here on Friday and I ruin two or three sticks trying to figure out what's going wrong.  

-Daimon

Cigary

QuoteDaimonrunge - 7/9/2012  9:07 AM  Going to have to wait until next month to be able to get one, but is there a v-cutter that anyone would recommend over others?

There are a few good ones out there and you can spend as much as you like.  There is a good deal for the Quad Stainless Steel Cutter that has been on here several times...I use it quite a bit.  There is also the Boston V Cutter in the table top model but it's a down payment for a car almost or you can buy the smaller version which is what I have...Boston Lil Guy..mine is 12 years old and cuts like new and for $130 it should.  Xikar has a good one for around $12.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.