Punch or cut?

Started by Daimonrunge, 07/09/2012 02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Kelley

Is this horse dead yet?  :biggrin:

Rich, I know you hate punches more than cooties but I like my Xikar. I use it on cigars I know are likely to have an easy draw but for all others I use my MTX Multi-tool. I rarely resort to a guillotine...but that's just me. Have never tried a V-cutter but I might get around to it one of these days when I'm visiting the B&M.

As far as cutting with the cello on...it's an urban legend. The cleaner cut is imaginary and since there is an extra layer you're cutting through your blade will dull faster. Do it if you want to but that's what you will get.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

PuffinDaPuros

Sorry - wasn't trying to beat a dead horse guys. Hard to search for "cutter" and sort through 600 answers for a few posts that say "I prefer cutter to punch" :-)

Just preferred to ask outright instead of spending 8 hours looking.

Watching the sun set over the trees in the back yard with my wife/best friend, wreathed in cigar smoke, drink in one hand and cigar in the other - isn't that the life?

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=PuffinDaPuros

"Is it true that you smoke eight to ten cigars a day?"
"That's true."
"Is it true that you drink five martinis a day?"
"That's true."
"Is it true that you still surround yourself with beautiful young women?"
"That's true."
"What does your doctor say about all of this?"
"My doctor is dead."

George Burns (1896 - 1996)

Ken Kelley

QuotePuffinDaPuros - 9/18/2012  10:55 AM

Sorry - wasn't trying to beat a dead horse guys. Hard to search for "cutter" and sort through 600 answers for a few posts that say "I prefer cutter to punch" :-)

Just preferred to ask outright instead of spending 8 hours looking.

Every minute you spend worrying about this is a minute wasted!  :biggrin:

Ask your questions and let the chips fall wherever chips fall.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

PuffinDaPuros

LOL - I appreciate it :biggrin:  I just hate to be the noob asking the questions that annoy folks who have been here forever.

One of the things I had heard was that v cut can cause more heat, but wasn't sure how much stock to put into that. Since a lot of folks here seem to v-cut, and I'm hoping to get that table top that has v-cut among it's arsenal - just thought I would see what folks thought. Does it cause much more tobacco to get into your mouth - you know, leaving the remnants behind?

I just got a Colibri double guillotine and it doesn't seem to do as well as my little plastic single guillotine. (and this is where I guess I'll learn too late once again that something isn't what it's cracked up to be and I should have asked first LOL)
Watching the sun set over the trees in the back yard with my wife/best friend, wreathed in cigar smoke, drink in one hand and cigar in the other - isn't that the life?

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=PuffinDaPuros

"That's true."
"That's true."
"That's true."
"My doctor is dead."

Jackal

QuotePuffinDaPuros - 9/18/2012  11:38 AM

LOL - I appreciate it :biggrin:  I just hate to be the noob asking the questions that annoy folks who have been here forever.

One of the things I had heard was that v cut can cause more heat, but wasn't sure how much stock to put into that. Since a lot of folks here seem to v-cut, and I'm hoping to get that table top that has v-cut among it's arsenal - just thought I would see what folks thought. Does it cause much more tobacco to get into your mouth - you know, leaving the remnants behind?

I just got a Colibri double guillotine and it doesn't seem to do as well as my little plastic single guillotine. (and this is where I guess I'll learn too late once again that something isn't what it's cracked up to be and I should have asked first LOL)

If you are looking for a cutter for home use, you can't go wrong with this baby.  I number of us have this model, and it is stellar.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Handlera

What is that???!!!  Seems like overkill just to cut a cigar.

Jackal

QuoteHandlera - 9/18/2012  12:24 PM

What is that???!!!  Seems like overkill just to cut a cigar.

It is one of the best cutters out there.  It can cut large or small ring gauges, and will do either a cat's eye or a semi-straight cut that has been affectionately referred to around here as a scalloped cut.  It is razor sharp, quick and easy to use, cuts perfectly, and you can often find it on the Monster for less than $40 (shipping included).

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

PuffinDaPuros

That's the one I asked for for my bday :)  We'll see how much trouble I'm in for that big order :biggrin:

"That's true."
"That's true."
"That's true."
"My doctor is dead."

05Venturer

QuoteKen Kelley - 9/18/2012  8:25 AM

I guess not    :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Fran95

horrido

Quote05Venturer - 8/7/2015  11:12 AM

Damn Ken you trolling old threads lol btw v cutter xihar and the stainless steel job got one of those in Penn state also great for clipping toe nails. :biggrin:
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Kman

Quote05Venturer - 8/7/2015  1:12 PM  
QuoteKen Kelley - 9/18/2012  8:25 AM  Is this horse dead yet?  :biggrin:  

This was a good thread for you drag up from the depths Kent. Maybe you'll finally learn something about how to cut a cigar :moon: 

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

johncw

Not when Kent is around  :lmao:

nirab

now that the cutter question is out there, how about cello on or off???  :lmao:  :shades:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

05Venturer

Quotenirab - 8/7/2015  2:10 PM

now that the cutter question is out there, how about cello on or off???  :lmao:  :shades:

Next weeks Ressurection LOL
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

MacMac

I punch my cigars unless the cap cannot be punched. I find less tobacco dislodges from the cigar and the wrapper is less likely to have loose ends when punched.
Joe :rocker:
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

gitfiddl

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Mojo66

The Walking (Dead) Threads  :biggrin:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Longhorn

For the love of... you bastid.  

SparklePony

:lmao:  I'm so going to start calling Kent "Horsebeater"  SparklePony like!
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

Cfickter

Horsebeater?  Ken I thought you worked for an energy company not doing animal husbandry!
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Kman

QuoteSparklePony - 8/7/2015  7:18 PM  :lmao:  I'm so going to start calling Kent "Horsebeater"  SparklePony like!

Well that's certainly nicer than what I'm thinking of calling him...

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Brlesq

QuoteCfickter - 8/7/2015  7:34 PM

Horsebeater?  Ken I thought you worked for an energy company not doing animal husbandry!

Horsebeater?  Is that what you do after a resurrection erection?

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Jay'D

Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

STL_Cohiba

I started with a double guietine and hav moved on to Punches. I really like the punch more than a cut. It's a lot cleaner in my book. Now there's this perforater thing a ma bob that looks even better than a punch
"The only way to break a bad habit was to replace it with a better habit." Jack Nicholson, explaining why he switched from cigarettes to cigars" -Jack Nicholson

http://cigargeeks.com/humidor/default.asp?
action=humidor&member=STL%5FCohiba

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.