Temperature.

Started by Alfred, 07/11/2012 09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfred

Guys I just finished a coolidor and I am in the process of testing for humidity and temperature. Humidity has beautifully stable at 69 for more than 48 hour; now temperature kind of fluctuate between 73 Most of the day and 75 for a while. I have read that the ideal temperature would be 70. Should I loose my sleep over this temperature? I know it is kind of hard to keep temperature at 70 by putting cold packs, or dry ice.

Alfredo

Thank you

CrazyK

Temperatures up in the high 70's would worry me if sustained for long periods of time. I think in the low 70's you should be okay.
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

lubrix

QuoteCrazyK - 7/11/2012  9:52 AM

Temperatures up in the high 70's would worry me if sustained for long periods of time. I think in the low 70's you should be okay.
X2
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

pferg

as long as its not above 75 for long your fine i beleve.

FNA

I have kept cigars for years in a house with no AC.  Gets hot in the summertime.

Do I move, buy air conditioning, give up cigars, worry about it?

None of the above.    Seems to work.

gitfiddl

I wouldn't worry too much, either.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

nirab

Both my humis stay at 75 this time of year, and I have not had any issues so far. Is this temp a concern because it is a coolidor, or does this apply to humis too? 80 was the number I read that you needed to worry about them dreaded beetles, but anything under that was fine.
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Jackal

I never let my apartment exceed 78 (usually stays 70-76), and yet I had a beetle outbreak in my ISOM humidor a couple years ago.

The stick that was the start of the outbreak had been sitting in my humidor for more than a year, so you can't say that it arrived already full of larva.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cigary

You're fine...what you look for is that there aren't those "swings" of temperature that go from 70 to 80 and then back down.  You want to ensure that you can stay within the 70/70 field ( that being if you want it to be 65/70 that's good, too.  I look for mine to be in that 65/70 arena but know with summer temps it can get crazy.  If you have a basement then I'd put everything you have for storage in there...if you keep your home at 70 all the time then you're fine but few people keep their homes at 70 degrees everyday or else you're electric bill could support a small country in this hemisphere.

toby2

i have read where other guys had beetles well below 80. i had some in Fuente Hemingways in the top drawer of a cabinet humi in the 70's. the cellos kept them from spreading i guess because they were at the bottom of a stack and could have been there for some time. 70 or below would cost me a fortune here in GA.

ROTHNH

Like most advise, it is best to avoid storing cigars where the ambient temperature is 75 degrees F. or above, except for occasional higher spikes.

Beetles eggs hatch into larvae at ambient temps of 75 F. or higher and can quickly decimate cigars.  OK, I admit, I am OCD, but I, too, have seen what can happen ... temp is at least as important as proper RH and worth the effort to keep the temp under control.

DonM

Living in Florida, it is difficult to keep your home below 75 unless you are willing to pay the power company a ton of money.  My humi in the summer averages 74 or 75 with no problems to date.  keep in mind that the beetles hatch with heat AND high humidity.  I just try not to be OCD about it, rotate my sticks occasionally to check them out

"The Curmudgeon"

nirab

I keep my humidity at 65, so I think I should be fine. Another reason to smoke em while you got em...so the beetles can't git em!  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

nkowal

I moved my humidor from upstairs to my basement because I was hitting temperatures of 75-77 during the day in these heat waves we've been getting. I like to keep my AC running a decent amount and probably rack up a larger electric bill than I should, but no way I can run it down to 70 unless I get a major promotion (or four).

During the winter I will likely move it back up.

Jackal

Alfredo, since you have a cooler, you can but a block of that blue ice in there (on a plate to avoid condensation getting on your cigars).  Switch it out every few days and you will easily keep them cool.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

metalhead y cigarguy

I'd say you're fine at those temps but it won't hurt if you move the coolidor to another area of the house that's cooler. It you can anyway.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

FNA

"what you look for is that there aren't those "swings" of temperature that go from 70 to 80 and then back down"

Or as we call it in my neighborhood daytime and nighttime.

Brlesq

This is why some of us freeze all of our cigars before putting them into a humidor.  Kill those dasterdly little devils and their eggs in the beginning and you don't have to worry so much about the temperature.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

ThinBlueLine

I have a wineador that keeps the RH steady at 68% and temperature around the same (68degrees) with the unit plugged in all the time
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

Hapcigar

Since this thread is about temperature and I have a temperature question .... What if you struggle to keep the temperature above 65.  My humidor is located in the basement due to space and it stays nice a cool all year round.  My humidor stays fairly close to 70% +/- 2 but the temperature runs between 60 and 65.  Thoughts?
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Robert LG

60-65 is great IMHO. I keep mine from 66-68 with a wineador(was closer to 78 in the summer before the wine cooler). As long as the RH is stable then your temps are fine.
Rob

Cigary

QuoteHapcigar - 8/4/2012  12:14 PM  Since this thread is about temperature and I have a temperature question .... What if you struggle to keep the temperature above 65.  My humidor is located in the basement due to space and it stays nice a cool all year round.  My humidor stays fairly close to 70% +/- 2 but the temperature runs between 60 and 65.  Thoughts?

If you keep your temps at that level you'll be more than fine...you might want to bump the RH to around 67 to keep things on an even keel.

1029henry

Freeze, freeze, freeze.....to avoid beetles freezing your cigars is a smart investment in time. I have no scientific proof freezing actually works to kill beetles, but i have never had an outbreak....yet....knock on wood. Makes me sleep easier, though. Nor do I know of anyone who goes to the trouble of freezing their stock who has had a beetle outbreak.

Thoughts?
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

ROTHNH

Quote1029henry - 8/4/2012  5:08 PM

Freeze, freeze, freeze.....to avoid beetles freezing your cigars is a smart investment in time. I have no scientific proof freezing actually works to kill beetles, but i have never had an outbreak....yet....knock on wood. Makes me sleep easier, though. Nor do I know of anyone who goes to the trouble of freezing their stock who has had a beetle outbreak.

Thoughts?

A topic of discussion more than a few times in threads here in Geekdom and in more than a few other forums as well.

Scientific proof has also often been provided.

But etched in my mind is the pics of that box of top shelf Padrons completely ruined by beetles.

That and what I consider all the right reasons, I've chosen to adhere to the freezing and storage regimens for many years now.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.