Pipe Geek Roll Call

Started by Hot Stuff x, 08/31/2009 02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonM

I gave up pipes as a young man, but then it wasnt for the sake of tobacco use :biggrin:

"The Curmudgeon"

ROTHNH

I used to smoke a pipe -- much more often than cigars, back in the day.

I slowly got away from it, but would still smoke a pipeful or two on occasion.

I have a large pipe collection and my wife and kids packed the household goods for the last move (I was working missions and unavailable) and they're all still in storage along with half of the rest of my stuff.

Couchtr26

Pipe smoker.  Corn cob cheap.  However, I do have a Meerschaum.  Just don't smoke it often.  I like whiskey cavendishs.  They tend to be the most enjoyable smokes for me.  I generally like other liquor flavored as well.  However, dislike those that are vanilla and cherry.  Smell and taste funny to me mostly.

vw77guy

I used to smoke a pipe every so often.  Now a days I smoke a pipe with a buddy at work and then take in a cigar every chance I get.  I don't do anything special.  I have been using a corn cob pipe with whiskey cavendish tobacco.  I have two other pipes but nothing expensive.  In fact, I made one of the pipes myself!

mobarbq

Add my name to the growing list of new ones wandering in off the street.  I smoked a pipe for 3-4 years in late teens and early twenties (Nicotiana tabacum only) and then quit. Haven't smoked a pipe for over twenty years, only recently picked it back up.  I have one sole pipe (a Karl Erik freehand) as a remainder of a collection of over 20, lost them all in the mother of all divorces... all conveniently thrown out before I could get possession of them back.  Another useless belonging she "took care of" for me.

Count me in on this census!

ljlemer

Quotevw77guy - 9/28/2010  6:49 AM

I used to smoke a pipe every so often.  Now a days I smoke a pipe with a buddy at work and then take in a cigar every chance I get.  I don't do anything special.  I have been using a corn cob pipe with whiskey cavendish tobacco.  I have two other pipes but nothing expensive.  In fact, I made one of the pipes myself!

How did you make the pipe? Of what?
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

ljlemer

Quotemobarbq - 10/1/2010  6:23 PM

Add my name to the growing list of new ones wandering in off the street.  I smoked a pipe for 3-4 years in late teens and early twenties (Nicotiana tabacum only) and then quit. Haven't smoked a pipe for over twenty years, only recently picked it back up.  I have one sole pipe (a Karl Erik freehand) as a remainder of a collection of over 20, lost them all in the mother of all divorces... all conveniently thrown out before I could get possession of them back.  Another useless belonging she "took care of" for me.

Count me in on this census!

Sounds like my great cigar massacre and I wasn't even divorcing.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

bnitch

Count me as a combo smoker, I love cigars but there is no real replacement for a pipe full of Southern Cream from a local B&M.

If I did this whats the worst that could happen?

hardeveningsuburb

I smoke a pipe in the fall and winter.  I've got many Missouri Meerschaum corncobs, three briars (a Savinelli, a Peterson and a Brad Pohlmann), and a CAO calabash (made of real gourd).
"After people get to know me, they all say I drink a lot of beer. I don't deny it either. Why should I? I'm not ashamed of beer." - Richard Brautigan

Mozwik

A Drew Estate rep was in my local B&M and gave out some Natural English cigars. He claimed they were like pipe tobacco in a cigar. They seem to have Perique and Latakia tobaccos, and other types. Has anyone had experience of these pipe tobacco cigars? I have laid it to rest for a while so have not tried it yet.

I enjoy an occasional corn cob with some nice burley based tobacco. Never really been a fan of the the sweet casing on some of the aromatics.

dddddmorgan

I hit another post but you can count me in on this too! Got my first pipe and some baccy and I'm in!

It will be nice for work and I can see that it's gonna be a cheap hobby, $6 for a Missouri Corncob and $10 for enough tobacco to stuff that little pipe a LOT of times!
Molon Labe!

87North

Quotedddddmorgan - 9/9/2011  12:56 PM

I hit another post but you can count me in on this too! Got my first pipe and some baccy and I'm in!

It will be nice for work and I can see that it's gonna be a cheap hobby, $6 for a Missouri Corncob and $10 for enough tobacco to stuff that little pipe a LOT of times!

It does have it's advantages...   :shades:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

jason_mazzy

I'm a long time pipe smoker. Love pipes and live cigars.
"While I won't say that I am God's gift to cigars, I will say Cigars are Gods gift to me".
"Avoiding risk at the cost of living is human. Living your life assuming the risk is heroic. I choose the latter."
US ARMY RANGER (RET)
Disabled Combat Veteran
Restore Liberty: Ron Paul 2012

toby2

metalhead y cigarguy

Wow... talk about re-visiting an old thread. :biggrin:  I've been enjoying a pipe since April of 2011.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

ROTHNH

I've been smoking pipes and cigars for more than 40 years.  In fact, there were still real Cubans cigars "under the counter" in tobacco shops while I was in college.

We joke about gas station and drug store cigars, so why buy pipes or pipe tobaccos from such vendors?  Sure, many will say "start with Prince Albert or Carter Hall, etc. (usually called "old codger" blends) and a cheap briar off a cardboard display, which is actually the way I started, but that's not the way I'd advise anyone interested in smoking a pipe.

Get a good Missouri Meerschaum (avoid the less expensive MMs and no-name look-alikes, one costs about $8) -- you can usually find a good MM your local B&M -- most B&Ms sell pipe tobacco as well as cigars and many sell a variety of pipes as well.

You can pick up a ton of help from a knowledgeable tobacconist.  Most sell a variety of "bulk blends," which are sold by the ounce, so once you learn the differences from you tobacconist, you can decide which variety of their bulk blends to try -- one ounce (about $2-$4) at a time. Most pipe n00bs start with a good aromatic, like Lane's "1Q," which is a bulk blend available at many, if not most decent tobacco shops. I smoke Virginias, Virginia and Perique (VA/Pers) and some English/Balkans.

Like cigars, your investments in time and effort learning about pipes, pipe tobacco and pipe smoking (all of which are at least as complicated as cigars if not more so) will repay many times over in satisfaction and enjoyment.

lubrix

Just started getting into it.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

jw-owl

Count me in. I've built a small collection of pipes over the past few months, my old estate pipes are my favs though. I really like G&H Balkin Mixture, an excellent full body blend, but some McClellands Wilderness or Legends is right at the top of my favorites list. I generally smoke a pipe daily, usually early morning and late night. I do love trying new tobacco, can't beat it!

jw-owl

Oh yeah, a new favorite of mine is H+H Cerberus, very nice blend there. The frog morton series is killer, but the Balkan Mixture is a solid go to tobacco for me, and Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake along with SG Squadron Leader, good stuff. just my tastes.

ROTHNH

Quotejw-owl - 7/2/2012  9:32 AM

Oh yeah, a new favorite of mine is H+H Cerberus, very nice blend there. The frog morton series is killer, but the Balkan Mixture is a solid go to tobacco for me, and Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake along with SG Squadron Leader, good stuff. just my tastes.

Jacob, since you enjoy Balkans and like Squadron Leader, you may enjoy SL's stable mate, Samuel Gawith's Skiff Mixture.  As close as I can tell, Skiff and SL are much alike but "swap" percentages of Orientals (> in Skiff) and Lakatia (> in Squadron Leader).  I actually enjoy Skiff better.   A big plus is that both are available in bulk so people can try those by trying an ounce or two at their B&M and/or have it thrown in to their next on line order.

Akkahuna

Akkahuna here, I have smoked my grandads that was given to me in the past, just bought an estate find off the internet so I'll be trying out when I get home, count me in as a former and now current Pipe Geek.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.