Arghhhh! Bugs!!!!!!!!!

Started by Vroomp, 11/22/2012 08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NES Tek

I believe I'll start this same practice. Would hate to lose any sticks to such freeloaders!
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

vw77guy

Looks like a coffee bean with legs.  Probably not as yummy.

mpurtle01

So I have a deep freezer and now I want to freeze about 200 cigars.  I'm doing some research, but I trust some of you more than random websites.  I have a few questions, and yes, I read Jackal's freezing tutorial.  

1. Does freezing effect flavor?
2. Do you need to vacuum seal cigars or just suck out the air from bags.
3. How many cigars per bag.
4. Deep freezer...   how cold do you go?  

I think I might start freezing too, but I'm really kinda anal about things and don't want to hurt any of my precious smokes.  So, want to make sure I do it right the first time.

mpurtle01

Geeks...  found this on Puff.com.  Not bad info.  I for one am able to keep my cigars at a solid 69-72 degrees daily, so not worried about hatching new eggs.  But I have read here and there about temperature acclimatized beetles...  that's a little concerning.  I really am mostly concerned about the effect on flavor that freezing has.  I feel like this is true GEEK material.  http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-questions/272095-science-behind-freezing.html

I may test drive this in my deep freezer on a few dog rockets before I freeze my more premium Padrons, Tatuajes, Illusiones, LPs 'n'stuff.

Brlesq

Quotempurtle01 - 11/25/2012  10:12 AM
2. Do you need to vacuum seal cigars or just suck out the air from bags.
3. How many cigars per bag.
4. Deep freezer...   how cold do you go?  

I think I might start freezing too, but I'm really kinda anal about things and don't want to hurt any of my precious smokes.  So, want to make sure I do it right the first time.

1.  No, unless you freeze too long (more than a few days) of have a stinky freezer to begin with (and even then, if they are sealed right, its probably not an issue.)  A stinky refrigerator is usually a more likely issue (garlic, strong cheese, etc.)

2.  Vacuum seal not necessary unless you have easy access to one (I never do).

3.  Doesn't matter, just so long as you don't crush them.  BTW, I usually tripple ziploc bag mine.  And use the freezer bags, not the thin cheap ones.

4. Whatever the freezer is set at is what I use.  There are some guides on how cold and how long (I recall Les (HotStuffx) giving a guide on this somewhere on the site).

I have done this with literally thousands of cigars over 20 years without any issues.  My method is pretty simple:  Triple bag, 1 day refrigerator, 3-4 days freezer, 1 day back to refrigerator, 1-2 days back in the house temp still in the bags, then put into humidors.  For me, its a 1 week process from receipt to humidor.  Time tables are estimates:  If you forget about them and they are at a step an extra day or two its not a problem (just don't shorten the time.)
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

nirab

I am gonna check all my cigars now. Thanks for all the insight my fellow geeks!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Ken Kelley

Lasioderma serricorne, commonly known as the cigarette beetle, cigar beetle, or tobacco beetle, (or, in Geek scientific terminology...them f**king bugs!) is very similar in appearance to the drugstore beetle (Stegobium paniceum) and the common furniture beetle (Anobium punctatum), and all three species belong to the family Anobiidae.  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

wescat

Quotempurtle01 - 11/25/2012  9:12 AM

So I have a deep freezer and now I want to freeze about 200 cigars.  I'm doing some research, but I trust some of you more than random websites.  I have a few questions, and yes, I read Jackal's freezing tutorial.  

Here is the thread that was used during the experimentation that Jackal did to write his article on freezing cigars:   http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=7059.0

I was one of the taste testers. I saw no change in flavor between the frozen and unfrozen cigar.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Ken Kelley

Quotewescat - 11/25/2012  4:48 PM

Quotempurtle01 - 11/25/2012  9:12 AM

Here is the thread that was used during the experimentation that Jackal did to write his article on freezing cigars:   http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=7059.0

I was one of the taste testers. I saw no change in flavor between the frozen and unfrozen cigar.

So what would happen if you plunged a perfectly aged premium stick into liquid nitrogen? I reckon that might kill just about any bug that lives in this universe.  Assuming you let the stick acclimate slowly to ambient temperature after the treatment, would it still retain the essential oils and essences? Surely this has been done so I would love to see the results.

If not, I would be willing to contribute some very well aged MOW robustos for a before and after exercise...if someone has the technology to dip perfectly good cigars into liquid nitrogen.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.