Cold and KL

Started by Alfred, 07/23/2012 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfred

For those of you in favor of the Cat litter. Does cold affect the RH controlled with KL. My questions is because I used beads that I bought from the internet and it worked right on, However when I tried to control the temperature with ice packs the RH came down really quick. I have my coolidor in the most efficient room for it to be in my Florida house and I still get big temperature changes going from 73 to 76 all day long some times I get up to 78. This is the best I can do location wise, so I definitely have to help the temperature with ice pack, but I am afraid to affect the RH. I hope this wording makes sense LOL

Alfredo

As always thank you guys so much

DonM

Temperature change will indeed change the RH, that is why you should try to keep temp swings to a minimun.  Being in Largo my home is usually at about 76* which might be warmer than most would like it and my RH stays at 66 or 67 %.  Indroducing ice packs will indeed lower the RH

"The Curmudgeon"

FNA

" I still get big temperature changes going from 73 to 76 all day long some times I get up to 78"

I don't see that 3-5 degrees F is a big temp change, especially if the normal swing is just 3 degrees.  Nor is a few points something to worry about in RH.  DonH says his stays at 66-67.  Others say they like their RH at 62-65.  As long as you're somewherer in there, your smokes will be fine.

RoscozRevenge

Relative humidity
n.
The ratio of the amount of water vapor in the air at a specific temperature to the maximum amount that the air could hold at that temperature and barometric pressure, expressed as a percentage.

Moisture content, pressure and temperature are basically joined at the hip. Keeping cigars cool to avoid mould growth is important but keeping the temperature steady is the only way to keep your RH consistent so that your cigars age properly. There has to be a way to keep them safe considering cigars have been produced and stored in your climate for hundreds of years. In my experience with storage, less is more. If you are really concerned buy a fridge or cooler which uses Thermoelectric refrigeration (Does not produce condensation). I have a regular wine fridge with 65% humidity beads that essentially self regulates. This may not work for you as I am in a semi arid climate where over humidifying is not a major concern.

Thermoelectric cooling uses the Peltier effect to create a heat flux between the junction of two different types of materials. This effect is commonly used in camping and portable coolers and for cooling electronic components and small instruments.

Good luck and God speed!

EDIT:

Ice packs will cool causing your RH to see-saw due to temperature fluctuation but ice packs could also cause condensation which may raise your RH.
"If anyone gets nosy, just...you know... shoot 'em. "
-Malcolm Reynolds

gitfiddl

QuoteDonM - 7/23/2012  4:47 PM

Temperature change will indeed change the RH, that is why you should try to keep temp swings to a minimun.  Being in Largo my home is usually at about 76* which might be warmer than most would like it and my RH stays at 66 or 67 %.  Indroducing ice packs will indeed lower the RH

I'd hate to see your electric bill, Don!  Mine would be close to a grand.  Our thermostat is set at 80F and last month's bill was $400+.

But back to the initial question, I wouldn't worry too much about the temps if we're talking the range you spoke of, Alfred.  You didn't mention what the RH differences were, and that would be more of my concern.  That's the major reason I'm making the switch to the Boveda packs.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Alfred

QuoteAlfred.  You didn't mention what the RH differences were, and that would be more of my concern.  That's the major reason I'm making the switch to the Boveda packs.

The RH is around 68%

horrido

Yup I use boveda in some of the smaller humi's and also KL they work well no issues so far.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Alfred

i forgot to say that this a 52 qts coolidor

Quotehorrido - 7/23/2012  9:23 AM  Yup I use boveda in some of the smaller humi's and also KL they work well no issues so far.

vw77guy

sounds a little warm but nothing I would worry about.  and the Rh is right where I have mine.  Are you looking for a perfect 70/70?

ROTHNH

QuoteAlfred - 7/23/2012  9:15 PM

QuoteAlfred.  You didn't mention what the RH differences were, and that would be more of my concern.  That's the major reason I'm making the switch to the Boveda packs.

The RH is around 68%

I live in Maine, without temp or RH issues and your stated 68% RH would be a bit too high for my liking -- a bit too moist.  I prefer 64-66%.  But to each his or her own.

Anyway, as others here state, fluctuations in your RH of a few percent either way is NOT a problem.

Also, you stated your coolidor's ambient temperatures are varying from 73 F. to 76 F ... IMHO, you have nothing to worry about in that regard, either.

It seems you are making a conscientious effort to properly take care of you cigar investment.  WTG!

Cigary

Temperature swings of more than 10 degrees are dangerous unless one has frozen their cigars first.  80 degrees is not suitable for a cigar environment but having it at 77 has not caused adverse conditions to mine...I keep the RH around 65% at all times for most of my cigars and have never had any issue whatsoever.  KL is a very suitable media to which I have converted to for the last two years...it's as stable as anything I've used and I've used them all...but it's better than anything I've used.  Beads can be very tricky and ornery in temperature extremes..KL adjusts quickly and with long lasting results.  As many others are saying with your current RH and temps...you're fine.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.