Martinis

Started by FNA, 07/25/2012 01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FNA

I noted in the thread about new candela cigars on the market that I find a candela wrapper a good match to a real Martini, that is to say gin and vermouth.  This leads to a few questions for you.

First, anybody enjoy candelas with Martinis?

Next, when you think Martini, do you think gin and vermouth?  To me, that's a martini.  Made with vodka, that's a vodka martini.  When I order a Martini, I don't want the bartender to ask me "What type of vodka?" which has happened.  What do you think of as a Martini - gin or vodka (or some weirdo booze)?

Finally, if you drink them, how do you like them?  Traditionally served (up) in a martini glass, on the rocks, dirty, olive or lemon twist or onion (a Gibson), made with some different digestif like Lillet, or again some new age abomination like the appletini or something?

Oh, as long as we're here, do you have a preferred brand of booze?

I like regular Bombay gin,  Noilly Prat vermouth (but will use others),  I like it rocks with three olives, and will have the occasional dirty mix on a hot day (need the salt).

adriedel

I like Boodles gin which is english very dry any kind of vermouth.  With 3 blue cheese olives, up in a martini glass

FNA

I've done blue cheese olives - didn't work for me - not even out of the drink, which is funny since I like both bliue cheese and olives.

I normally use pimento stuffed, keep meaning to try anchovey stuffed, but I'll have to make them myself, because I'm not paying $6 for a small jar of olives.

Brlesq

I agree.  A Martini is made with Gin.  I like them chilled (stirred, not shaken) and only a little dirty (maybe a teaspoon of olive juice.)  Three or four large olives, stuffed with garlic, bleu cheese or jalapenos depending on my mood.  Tanqueray Ten or Bombay Blue Sapphire is my choice of gin, although I also really like the Junipero that Nick (NES-Tek) suggested to me last year.  the vermouth is only going to be a thimble full, so brand is unimportant.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

lubrix

Used to enjoy them back in the day with Bombay Blue Sapphire gin with a couple of olives,only shaken.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

pferg

a real martini is with gin. althou i dont mind vodka martini's once in a while. I prefer shaken with 2 olives stuffed with pimento.

Rebecca Silverwolf

While I don't actually drink them, a real Martini is made with London Dry Gin and Dry Vermouth. With vodka is an acceptable cocktail, but should be called a Vodka Martini. Anything else really shouldn't be using the name Martini in the title at all. Typically what I recommend to people is Bombay Sapphire for the gin, and whatever dry vermouth they like. I know some guys who prefer Tanqueray.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

FNA

Glad to see "real" martinis leading the way!

I'm not surprised that several suggest Sapphire as it has the rep, but it seems less aromatic to me than regular Bombay.  To me, not worht the 33% higher price.

A cautionary word - if you see Burnett's  Gin, leave it behind.  This "London Dry" (right on the label) is produced in Kentucky and might be the worst I have had.

Jackal

I am another fan of Sapphire with Martini and Rossi dry vermouth.  Shaken, served up, with 3 olives.

However, the occasional negroni (I would never actually call it a martini, even though it is in the family) can be refreshing.   :martini:

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

akira

I cannot drink Gin anymore so I always go with Vodka and I'm not drinking martinis anymore since a waitress game me a heads up and suggested I just order my vodka up instead of calling it a martini because most restaurants upcharge once you call it a martini.  On that note, I drink Gray Goose up with a twist or blue cheese or jalapeno olives or the onions.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

Clavius

I loooove a good martini.  My favorite recipe right now is a vodka martini with Luksusowa vodka.  First, chill down your martini glass thoroughly.  When it's cold pour in a half-ounce of dry vermouth and swirl it around in the glass then dump.  Then add 3oz vodka (presuming you keep it in the freezer as I do).  Now here's the secret ingredient... Mezzetta Jalapeno & Garlic olives.  Get about 4-5 of them on a big plastic toothpick and throw them in the martini glass with the vodka.  The small amount of brine added to the martini from the olives gives the martini a little heat, which I love.

87North

I love a good martini... And yes, a martini is made with Gin.  I like them filthy.  Not just dirty, but Filthy.  With just about any olive except garlic stuffed.  I've also been known to indulge in an Okratini with pickled okra instead of olives.  As far as gin is concerned, I tend to prefer Bombay Sapphire, but I agree that it isn't quite as aromatic as regular Bombay.  By that I mean that I find the flavors to be more subtle in the Sapphire.  I've a couple of friends that prefer Tanqueray, as they enjoy the more assertive flavor that it offers.  For me by way of substitute for Bombay Sapphire, I like Bombay regular, Beefeater, or Plymouth Gin.   :confused:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

FNA

Clavius says: "I loooove a good martini."   Then you ought to try one some time.

What you describe drinking is vodka, not a martini, not even a vodka martini.  A drop of bitters will affect a drink.  A drop of Vermouth, not so much, especially not when countered with 5 Jalapeno/garlic olives.

Rebecca Silverwolf

QuoteFNA - 8/1/2012  11:29 AM

Clavius says: "I loooove a good martini."   Then you ought to try one some time.

What you describe drinking is vodka, not a martini, not even a vodka martini.  A drop of bitters will affect a drink.  A drop of Vermouth, not so much, especially not when countered with 5 Jalapeno/garlic olives.

I'm positive there's a way that whole comment could have been made without sounding like a condescending a-hole.

"Can you really taste the vermouth with that much vodka and the jalapeno/garlic olives?"
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

Clavius

QuoteFNA - 8/1/2012  2:29 PM

Hey, it's what I've found that I like.  If you don't like it, too bad!  But you don't have to sound like that snobby bartender that nobody likes.  ;)

Cfickter

QuoteBrlesq - 7/25/2012  2:26 PM  I agree.  A Martini is made with Gin.  I like them chilled (stirred, not shaken) and only a little dirty (maybe a teaspoon of olive juice.)  Three or four large olives, stuffed with garlic, bleu cheese or jalapenos depending on my mood.  Tanqueray Ten or Bombay Blue Sapphire is my choice of gin, although I also really like the Junipero that Nick (NES-Tek) suggested to me last year.  the vermouth is only going to be a thimble full, so brand is unimportant.

X2 on the Bombay Sapphire. Just pass the vermouth over the glass add a twist. 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

rumrunner88

To get Snockered? Vodka Martini Bone Dry, Two Olives. To enjoy, I prefer Gordons and Lillet with a twist of lime rind. It is really hard to beat a really dirty martini served with garlic stuffed olives, as long as you don't have a date.

Cigary

QuoteRebecca Silverwolf - 8/1/2012  12:06 PM  
QuoteFNA - 8/1/2012  11:29 AM  Clavius says: "I loooove a good martini."   Then you ought to try one some time.   What you describe drinking is vodka, not a martini, not even a vodka martini.  A drop of bitters will affect a drink.  A drop of Vermouth, not so much, especially not when countered with 5 Jalapeno/garlic olives.
I'm positive there's a way that whole comment could have been made without sounding like a condescending a-hole.  "Can you really taste the vermouth with that much vodka and the jalapeno/garlic olives?"

Lol....I love your responses!  They remind me of...well...me.

Beegerply

I don't like Gin, so I use Vodka, don't care what brand, and its always a Gibson for me, not much of a olive fan. :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

lowpro75

I love martini discussions.  I remember the old joke about what do you do if your lost in the woods with no one around for miles?  Start to make a dry martini and someone instantly will show up and tell you "That's not how you make a dry martini."
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Brlesq

Quotelowpro75 - 8/2/2012  3:03 PM

I love martini discussions.  I remember the old joke about what do you do if your lost in the woods with no one around for miles?  Start to make a dry martini and someone instantly will show up and tell you "That's not how you make a dry martini."

Yeah, but do YOU want FNA to come out into the woods to spend time with you?  :biggrin:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

lowpro75

QuoteBrlesq - 8/2/2012  3:36 PM

Yeah, but do YOU want FNA to come out into the woods to spend time with you?  :biggrin:

Good point.  Keep it up and you might move up to #2.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Rebecca Silverwolf

QuoteCigary - 8/2/2012  9:13 AM

QuoteRebecca Silverwolf - 8/1/2012  12:06 PM  
QuoteFNA - 8/1/2012  11:29 AM  Clavius says: "I loooove a good martini."   Then you ought to try one some time.   What you describe drinking is vodka, not a martini, not even a vodka martini.  A drop of bitters will affect a drink.  A drop of Vermouth, not so much, especially not when countered with 5 Jalapeno/garlic olives.
I'm positive there's a way that whole comment could have been made without sounding like a condescending a-hole.  "Can you really taste the vermouth with that much vodka and the jalapeno/garlic olives?"

Lol....I love your responses!  They remind me of...well...me.

Why, thank you, sir.  :biggrin:  ;-)

Brlesq

Quotelowpro75 - 8/2/2012  4:33 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 8/2/2012  3:36 PM

Good point.  Keep it up and you might move up to #2.

:lmao:  :lmao:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Ken Kelley

Frank is still around? Guess I haven't been gone long enough!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.