Crap Network Grow Log 2012

Started by long_ashes, 07/29/2012 02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntanner

very cool, thanx for keeping us posted. im sure you are going to end up with some outstanding tobacco.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Hapcigar

This whole grow long reminds me of this :

http://www.cigargeeks.com/gallery/" /img>
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

long_ashes

Things have gone well since my last post.  We are now rolling cigars and I have tried a couple of them.  The darker wrappers are the best.  They have a sweet smokey/campfire type taste with some pepper notes.  We have rolled some pretty crappy looking ones, and some good ones.  We've rolled big ones and small ones.  Some are long filler, and some are mixes/short filler.  

We have tried to stick with mostly darker leaves for the wrapper, as we are maduro guys anyways.  We haven't gotten to the ligero tobacco yet (that will be ready by next week) so right now the blends are mixtures of seco/volado.  So far the cigars have been Havana 263/Dixie Shade/Penn. Red filler, mostly havana 263/Penn. Red binder, and Dixie Shade wrapper (some being Penn. Red wrappers).  We've rolled them with, and without the cigar press.  With a bag and a half of tobacco, we have rolled over 40 cigars and I still have about 9 bags left.  Needless to say, a lot of cigars!  Here are some pics:

As we let the rolled cigars sit, we will be sampling them, and may even send some out to some folks to try out.  I will report back again soon!
http://crapnetwork.com
Home of Crap Cigar, Crap Sauce, and Crap Beer
A streaming pile of crap entertainment.

Hapcigar

Very cool.  Thanks for the update.  Looking forward to the Crap Review.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

SenorPablo

Pretty cool Justin.  Looks like a lot of fun and a good payout for all the hard work.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

pferg

very cool. let us know how they taste after all your hardwork

grabow66

I like this whole project. How many folks out there can sau that they actually got to do this? :}
If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

long_ashes

I'm smoking another one of my handmade cigars.  I have smoked several now.  Some have burned very well and had a good taste, and others have not burned at all and/or had a very bad taste.

This one tastes pretty decent.  It has a sweet oaky taste with almost a hint of maple syrup.  It's not blowing me away, but it's still pretty cool to sit down and smoke something that you created.  Six-seven months in the making.  From babying the seeds to seedlings, to tilling the ground and getting them ready for planting, to watering and fertilizing them, to picking the ripe leaves, washing them, hanging them up to color cure, organizing/filing them in the kiln to super ferment, and pulling stems/rolling the cigars.  

It's hard work and I had a lot of help from my friends, but all in all I think of this project as successful.  Will I do it again?  I'm not sure, but if I do, it will be in less amounts of tobacco next year.  We have rolled almost 60 cigars and still have another 150 at least to roll (I'm guess more).  I WILL be giving some out to friends, and also in a contest through http://crapnetwork.com.  Stay tuned for that.

CrazyK

Very very cool. That one looks pretty nicely rolled too! Congrats on a job well done!
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

Greenfairypipe

I am way beyond impressed.  I want to do that so bad, but don't have the time, space, or skills for such endeavors.

wolfeman
Wolfeman

"After the first glass of absinthe you see things as you wish they were. After the second you see them as they are not. Finally you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world."
- Oscar Wilde

long_ashes

Rolled another 30 cigars in this last batch, only a couple more batches left and we'll have gone through all of the leaves. Only problem is it's mostly seco left and some ligero that needs more fermenting. I need to do a count but I know we are definitely over 200 cigars.

Beegerply

Hats off to you guys well done  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Longhorn

Your whole "project" is just too cool!  "From Seed to Smoke" - a suggested title for your new book!

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

87North

Quotelong_ashes - 1/20/2013  9:57 AM

Rolled another 30 cigars in this last batch, only a couple more batches left and we'll have gone through all of the leaves. Only problem is it's mostly seco left and some ligero that needs more fermenting. I need to do a count but I know we are definitely over 200 cigars.

Just guessing, but I'll bet Jackal would give his left arm for the Culebra in that photo...
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

toby2

billy82

But I really liked the name "Wish Stealer". It had a Native American ring to it. -Brlesq

A wise geek once told me that moving up from a daily smoke to a weekly or even bi-monthly smoke would be worth it, if I could learn how to appreciate a really really good cigar. -southernrun
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=billy82

Vroomp

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

long_ashes

Decided to count them all up.  203 cigars rolled so far, not counting the 30 or so that I have given out/smoked.  So around 230 cigars rolled and it looks like we can easily roll another 50 with what is left in the kiln.  Pretty good haul overall.  Soon the smoking and gifting will begin (and a contest for Crap Network).

metalhead y cigarguy

Very cool! Nicely done guys!
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

CrazyK

CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

Greenfairypipe

Quotelong_ashes - 1/20/2013  7:57 AM

Very cool that you did the culebra.  What is that double barreled thing off to the right.  That one looks crazy :biggrin:
Wolfeman

"After the first glass of absinthe you see things as you wish they were. After the second you see them as they are not. Finally you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world."
- Oscar Wilde

long_ashes

I actually call it the double barrel. :biggrin:   I have a mini one of them too.  It was inspired by a Felipe Gregorio cigar that was wrapped like that.  The one I smoked from them didn't burn so well though, so not sure how this is going to pan out just yet.  I rolled a VERY long cigar, bent it, then wrapped a premium wrapper around it, and clipped the end to make it.

Greenfairypipe

Quotelong_ashes - 1/21/2013  6:54 AM

I actually call it the double barrel. :biggrin:   I have a mini one of them too.  It was inspired by a Felipe Gregorio cigar that was wrapped like that.  The one I smoked from them didn't burn so well though, so not sure how this is going to pan out just yet.  I rolled a VERY long cigar, bent it, then wrapped a premium wrapper around it, and clipped the end to make it.

It looks awesome.  Very creative
Wolfeman

- Oscar Wilde

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.