Humidor Recommendation

Started by DanWGross, 08/15/2012 08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1029henry

QuoteCigary - 8/15/2012  10:56 AM

I love humidors but after buying about 12 of them over the years I would suggest buying one or two very nice ones that hold around 200 cigars....as you continue buying ( and you will ) start thinking of storage in other ways...Cooleradors, Tupperadors...which are great as your stock expands.  I keep around 10 tupperadors and 2 cooleradors and the money you will save by not buying more wood humis is enough for you to buy a lot of boxes of your favorite cigars.

I completely agree with this statement. This is exactly how I store my cigars.

"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

PuffinDaPuros

http://www.cigarhumidors-online.com/cigar-humidors/enlarged/oxfordenlarge.htm?=shoppingcom

Anyone ever deal with this company?  Considering the bent I seem to be on, I figure I better get a bigger home for the cigars :biggrin: I have a Napoleon II which holds close to the stated 150 cigars, actually. But with over 300 cigars with more coming, I was thinking I might add a new wing to the Aging Cigars Rest Home. I like the fact that it has a drawer for the 3 humidifiers.

I just don't know about this company and want to make sure no one has any horror stories about them first.
Watching the sun set over the trees in the back yard with my wife/best friend, wreathed in cigar smoke, drink in one hand and cigar in the other - isn't that the life?

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=PuffinDaPuros

"Is it true that you smoke eight to ten cigars a day?"
"That's true."
"Is it true that you drink five martinis a day?"
"That's true."
"Is it true that you still surround yourself with beautiful young women?"
"That's true."
"What does your doctor say about all of this?"
"My doctor is dead."

George Burns (1896 - 1996)

ROTHNH

No, but I have been getting their Emails for years.  Have you considered a Coolidor?

You can save a ton of money and probably protect your cigars better than a nice, but rather large piece of furniture that your wife has to look at (and can check out).  Plus, if you don't have A/C or don't like keeping the room your cigars are in under 75 F. in the warmer months, you can control the temperature easily with some blue ice in the summer months.

And the best part is you can use the savings for more cigars.

Brlesq

QuotePuffinDaPuros - 9/24/2012  11:55 AM

http://www.cigarhumidors-online.com/cigar-humidors/enlarged/oxfordenlarge.htm?=shoppingcom

Anyone ever deal with this company?  Considering the bent I seem to be on, I figure I better get a bigger home for the cigars :biggrin: I have a Napoleon II which holds close to the stated 150 cigars, actually. But with over 300 cigars with more coming, I was thinking I might add a new wing to the Aging Cigars Rest Home. I like the fact that it has a drawer for the 3 humidifiers.

I just don't know about this company and want to make sure no one has any horror stories about them first.

Never dealt with them, but there is no way that holds 500 cigars unless they are really small cigars.  The stated dimensions are outside dimensions and include the legs and the utility drawer inside.  My guess is that the interior cigar storage dimensions are more like 15.5"x10.5"x22".  That is probably good for 300 cigars.    

I find that humidor claims are almost always overstated for regular sized cigars.  For example, the end table humidor I have is supposed to hold 1,500 cigars, but I have it packed tight and its around 1,000.  And packed tight means it is a pain -in-the-butt to get to cigars sometimes, too.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Cigary

QuotePuffinDaPuros - 9/24/2012 8:55 AM http://www.cigarhumidors-online.com/cigar-humidors/enlarged/oxfordenlarge.htm?=shoppingcom Anyone ever deal with this company? Considering the bent I seem to be on, I figure I better get a bigger home for the cigars :biggrin: I have a Napoleon II which holds close to the stated 150 cigars, actually. But with over 300 cigars with more coming, I was thinking I might add a new wing to the Aging Cigars Rest Home. I like the fact that it has a drawer for the 3 humidifiers. I just don't know about this company and want to make sure no one has any horror stories about them first.

I've had friends deal with them and some have had horrible experiences because the product that was sent to them had "issues" and when they tried to contact them to send the unit back while it was under warranty they tried to charge them misc. charges for the return.  They also tried to get that company to reimburse them the original charge on their card to which they wouldn't do anything to resolve the issue but rather drew the process out with emails anc phone calls until the warranty lapsed...and then they said they couldn't do anything for them as the warranty was not lost.  This may not be how everybody has been treated by I no longer do business with them.  They have changed their way of doing business recently by what others have told me but not enough to where I would buy anything unless one were to use a credit card that protects you in case they pull this kind of action.  A credit card dispute is a great way to deal with bad businesses that tend to do what they did.  Just keep all of your emails for proof of trying to resolve issues.

ROTHNH

If bound and determined to get a cabinet humidor, check out Tampa Humidor and Cuban Crafters.  More expensive, sure.  But you get what you pay for which I think is even more important when there's no touchy-feely.  Shipping can be pricey, but Cuban Crafters offers free shipping (which can run into the hundreds of dollars for cabinets sold by most vendors).

http://www.cubancrafters.com/categories/HUMIDOR/CABINET-HUMIDOR/

http://www.tampahumidor.com/humidors/aging-vault-humidor.php

BigTA

QuoteJackal - 8/15/2012 8:29 AM I swear by the treasure dome. It has a lot of capacity and has been very dependable. http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=M-TDH250&cat=10[/QUOTE]

X 2  , My buddy on here is selling his 100 count Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 branded humi for 40 dollars plus shipping, I can get pics from him, Can vouch that it is in good shape.

Cheap sex, Cheap booze, Cheap cigars, Everybody loves a bargain.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=BigTA

Brlesq

QuoteROTHNH - 9/24/2012  5:42 PM

If bound and determined to get a cabinet humidor, check out Tampa Humidor and Cuban Crafters.  More expensive, sure.  But you get what you pay for which I think is even more important when there's no touchy-feely.  Shipping can be pricey, but Cuban Crafters offers free shipping (which can run into the hundreds of dollars for cabinets sold by most vendors).

http://www.cubancrafters.com/categories/HUMIDOR/CABINET-HUMIDOR/

http://www.tampahumidor.com/humidors/aging-vault-humidor.php

Rich is right. And these places both have bargains to be found as well. I have bought 2 from TampaHumidor.  Sign up for their email and they run a 10% off sale about every 4 weeks.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

timetorelax

at the risk of saying a bad word, but a decent product that may do the trick....thompson - lucky 7 humidor - a tad less then $100.

ROTHNH

Quotetimetorelax - 9/24/2012  8:22 PM

at the risk of saying a bad word, but a decent product that may do the trick....thompson - lucky 7 humidor - a tad less then $100.

Bernie, you're right -- sort of.

The Op is looking for a larger capacity cabinet furniture humidor.  While Thompson does sell some pretty nice desktop humidors for the money (hell, I have one I've had for years and I am still using it --- it's great), they do not sell cabinet humidors (that I'm aware of anyway).

ROTHNH

QuoteROTHNH - 9/24/2012  11:41 PM

The Op is looking for a larger capacity cabinet furniture humidor.  While Thompson does sell some pretty nice desktop humidors for the money (hell, I have one I've had for years and I am still using it --- it's great), they do not sell cabinet humidors (that I'm aware of anyway).

Ooops, my bad -- correction, not the OP, but the guy who resurrected this thread, Rich,  I mean David.

PuffinDaPuros

QuoteROTHNH - 9/24/2012  11:42 PM

QuoteROTHNH - 9/24/2012  11:41 PM

Ooops, my bad -- correction, not the OP, but the guy who resurrected this thread, Rich,  I mean David.

Thanks for the promotion Eddie :-)
Watching the sun set over the trees in the back yard with my wife/best friend, wreathed in cigar smoke, drink in one hand and cigar in the other - isn't that the life?

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=PuffinDaPuros

"That's true."
"That's true."
"That's true."
"My doctor is dead."

cmmayo

QuoteGarCar - 8/18/2012  1:49 PM

QuoteJackal - 8/15/2012  3:56 PM  
QuoteGarCar - 8/15/2012  12:46 PM  Welcome, Dan-O, from the Bluegrass. On the devil site recommendations, I recently picked up both the 5 Vegas and Man O' War 100 counts for 93 smackers total plus the 8.95 shipping on the first unit. Very nice humidors that are quick and simple to get going. Impressive art work too if you're into that. If you go that route, just be patient and remember if they are going high one cycle, they'll eventually come around to your price.
If you are going to go that route, I would really suggest the Rocky Patel Humidor.  It the same style but just slightly larger.  5 Vegas/ Man O War: 13.5x 9.5x 6.25 Rocky Patel: 15.5 x 10.5 x 7  That slight increase in all three dimensions doesn't sound like much, but it changes the volume from 801.5 in3 to 1139.25 in3.  That is a lot of extra capacity with a very small change in footprint.  It sells for $75 at CI  http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=M-RZHUM2&cat=10  The only downside is that you have a Rocky Patel Emblem on it.

Those are typos on the dimensions, Jackal...all 3 are the exact same size humidor. Both the 5 Vegas and the Man O War are 15.5 wide x 10.5 x 7.

According to Gotham Cigars and Cigar Place, the Rocky is 13.5"W x 9.5"D x 6.25"H:

http://www.gothamcigars.com/humidor-rocky-patel-deluxe.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=nextag

http://www.cigarplace.biz/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/38670

That probably means all three are that size.

I have the 5 Vegas and in a room with several other humidors, it stands out. I also agree with Bruce and Jackal earlier that the Treasure Dome is a great choice. It holds humidity better than any of my big humis and the split top tray works well. Plus you can stack cigars 3 deep on those top trays.
I also agree with the tuppedor idea. I have 4 large plasticware containers that I stole from the kitchen, lined/stuffed with cedar, and they hold humidity better than any wood humidor.

I'm trying to convince my brother in Houston to get off his butt and go back into his shop and build me one about 3' x 5' but I suspect he's not good enough to get it right the first time--which would cost us both a lot.
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

Brlesq

Just FYI - The drawers in the "T"-word Lucky Seven are NOT made with spanish cedar.  They are some sort of compressed paperboard with a very thin spanish cedar veneer.  (Just look at the bottoms from underneath and you can see it.)  Because of their cheap construction (thats why its less than $100) they tend to hold odors and moisture.

How do I know?  Last year I bought one for $30 from a local serviceman being shipped out, and he had stored aromatic pipe tobacco and some Black & Mild cigars in it.  A pleasant smell, but not one I wanted infusing my cigars.  Could not get the odor or stains out despite lots of patience and all the combined wisdom and techniques of other veteran Geeks here.  

So I replaced the drawers with 1/4" cedar planks to use it to store boxes.  I kept the top drawer only and replaced the bottom of it with spanish cedar so that I could store small cigars in it. KL is used as the passive humidity control.

All of that said, this humidor holds humidity better and longer than any of my other humidors.  I can store about 200 cigars in it.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

DonM

Everyone seems to gravitate to coolidors at some point, but I have been reluctant to date.  I did pick this humidor up a couple of years ago from Tampa Humidor and have really liked it.  The bottom drawer is Spanish cedar lined with dividers and I have had a very full 500 in it on occasion.  I was able to do in store pick up, because I am local  :biggrin: I would give this one consideration, it has been good to me and I believe another Geek out there has one too

"The Curmudgeon"

PuffinDaPuros

QuoteDonM - 9/25/2012  7:57 AM

Everyone seems to gravitate to coolidors at some point, but I have been reluctant to date.  I did pick this humidor up a couple of years ago from Tampa Humidor and have really liked it.  The bottom drawer is Spanish cedar lined with dividers and I have had a very full 500 in it on occasion.  I was able to do in store pick up, because I am local  :biggrin: I would give this one consideration, it has been good to me and I believe another Geek out there has one too

Which humi is that Don?  The one I linked to, or another? I'd be interested in it - I have bid on one on Cbid, but I am not sure whether I'll win it and I can adjust my max bid to make sure I will if the one you are talking about is better :-)

I ended up not going with the one I linked to since one person related that there were folks with issues and also because the one I bid on seems to be larger and not have the wasted space above the top shelf - and if I win it, it will be for considerably less money.

Thanks for all the information folks!

"That's true."
"That's true."
"That's true."
"My doctor is dead."

ROTHNH

QuoteDonM - 9/25/2012  7:57 AM

A Geek cannot gravitate to a coolidor, especially the very appropriate, very large Colemans, until he or she has at least 8 desktop humidors.  To move up to a 100 quart Coleman coolider , you have to have ten desktop humidors stacked in a corner of your bedroom.

tvolball

I have a Sao Palo humi. I'm new to this and it looked good. Anybody know anything about them?
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

wescat

QuoteBrlesq - 9/25/2012  6:36 AM

Just FYI - The drawers in the "T"-word Lucky Seven are NOT made with spanish cedar.  They are some sort of compressed paperboard with a very thin spanish cedar veneer.  (Just look at the bottoms from underneath and you can see it.)  Because of their cheap construction (thats why its less than $100) they tend to hold odors and moisture.

:word:     very true point.

AND, if you get a high %RH spike, the underside of those drawers will grow copius amounts of mold.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

junglepete

old thread...spammer deleted
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

Silverstix

Bringing this one back to life......was thinking of telling the Mrs. to buy me a nice humidor for Father's Day to put on my desk at work.  I like to keep my special smokes (ISOM's and cigars that I want to age) here at the office because the temperature is almost always 68-70.  I am also eyeing up the 300ct "El Diablo" or the Windsor or the Landmark whatever you want to call it depending on where you buy it from.  Does anyone have this humidor that can give me some input on how it's made/how it's holding humidity for you?  I'm also open to other humidors that are of this size, I think I've researched them all but would love to hear what your experiences are.  

Thanks in advance!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.