Rum and Cigars

Started by PuffinDaPuros, 09/11/2012 11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feldenak

QuoteBrlesq - 5/22/2014  1:07 PM

REMEMBER GEEKS:  Don't drink rum and bid on the devil site.

I try to stay away from the devil site...well, I'll check out Free Fall every now and again    :shamebag:
https://www.facebook.com/CigarsForTroops

Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football. ~ John Heisman

frankj1

for around $30, El Dorado 12 yr (Guyana) is excellent. Just a bit less sweet than Zaya and Zacapa 23 which sometimes dominate cigars so I find it goes better with cigars, particularly maddies.

There are quite a few surprisingly fine rums for sipping available for short money. I am a true bourbon man, enjoy a few scotches (not peated), but it is hard to beat the value that rum offers for non-mixing drinkers.

Check out www.rumgallery.com for some good info.

nwb

Quotefrankj1 - 5/22/2014  10:28 PM
There are quite a few surprisingly fine rums for sipping available for short money.

Yes, there are, and that is one reason I tend to gravitate toward rum.  It leaves more money for cigars. :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

Feldenak

Quotenwb - 5/23/2014  8:56 AM

There are quite a few surprisingly fine rums for sipping available for short money.

Yes, there are, and that is one reason I tend to gravitate toward rum.  It leaves more money for cigars. :biggrin:

Yes, that is one of my considerations as well. I also tend to make a move towards rum as the weather warms up.
https://www.facebook.com/CigarsForTroops

Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football. ~ John Heisman

frankj1

Quotenwb - 5/23/2014  5:56 AM

but there are also some great ones for more $$$!
after a long search, found a bottle of Dos Maderas 5 + 5, $40. Was looking for 5 + 3 (heard it's about $30) but seems to be unavailable near Boston...so far.

The 5 + 5 goes straight to the top of my favorites...

see the review at www.rumgallery.com and look under whatever column shows aged 10 years. For 5 + 3 look under the list that includes aged 8 years (duh!). Very intesting story of these Spanish/Carribbean rums, part of the process involves Spanish Jerez/sherry barrels. also a great site to learn about many others.

Frank

ItalianGuido

Myers rum... Dark and tasty. Pina coladas made with white rum and then put a Myers shooter on top. Myers and Squirt.
"Cigars!"  - Gene Hackman from "Young Frankenstein"

metalhead y cigarguy

I haven't had it in a while but Appleton Estate is a nice rum.  Its not as expensive as the 21 yr that Jackal referenced but its still a very enjoyable rum.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

nwb

Quotefrankj1 - 10/15/2014  11:12 PM
after a long search, found a bottle of Dos Maderas 5 + 5, $40. Was looking for 5 + 3 (heard it's about $30) but seems to be unavailable near Boston...so far.

The 5 + 5 goes straight to the top of my favorites...

I'll add it to the list.  Thanks for the recommendation!
Chief of Shaft

Jackal

For a relatively inexpensive dark, it is hard to go wrong with the Kraken.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

mpurtle01

Don Q Anejo is an excellent rum for the price.  But I've said before and still say Don Q Gran Anejo is the best sipping rum I have ever had.  If you can find it, try it at least once.  It's amazing, and great with cigars.

DonM

I love my spiced rum, Cpt Morgan, Kracken, Sailor Jerry all are my everyday rums

"The Curmudgeon"

frankj1

Quotempurtle01 - 10/16/2014  2:39 PM

Don Q Anejo is an excellent rum for the price.  But I've said before and still say Don Q Gran Anejo is the best sipping rum I have ever had.  If you can find it, try it at least once.  It's amazing, and great with cigars.
ah, a new challenge...!

Brlesq

Reading this old thread all day and all I had on my mind was rum!

Having some Zaya with a 2007 BBF tonight.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

PETE314

Ahhhhhhhh Bruce, That sounds like a good night to me....Love the Zaya as well as the Pyrat....
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

frankj1

QuoteBrlesq - 10/16/2014  4:00 PM

Reading this old thread all day and all I had on my mind was rum!

Having some Zaya with a 2007 BBF tonight.
nice combo.
I just finished a VR Unico Nov 08 and a Dos Maderas.

RDF

10 Cane is also a good clear rum, especially with a cigar.  On the spiced end, got a buddy who swears by Admiral Nelsons and Root Beer. Sounds bad, but actually tastes good (and AN is cheap). Not so sure whether an Admiral trumps a Cappy in this case though.
HokieSmokes!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." H. Jackson Brown

mpurtle01

Matter of fact, I'm having an LP #9 Belicioso with some Don Q Gran Anejo right now...   the best pairing I've ever had.

s+j

Quotefrankj1 - 5/22/2014  7:28 PM

for around $30, El Dorado 12 yr (Guyana) is excellent. Just a bit less sweet than Zaya and Zacapa 23 which sometimes dominate cigars so I find it goes better with cigars, particularly maddies.

There are quite a few surprisingly fine rums for sipping available for short money. I am a true bourbon man, enjoy a few scotches (not peated), but it is hard to beat the value that rum offers for non-mixing drinkers.

The El Dorado sounds worth checking out. Have you tried the Zafra 21 YO from Panama? It came highly recommended by smokers at the IPCPR.

frankj1

Quotes+j - 12/5/2014  11:32 PM

The El Dorado sounds worth checking out. Have you tried the Zafra 21 YO from Panama? It came highly recommended by smokers at the IPCPR.
I have not! Will look into it, thank you.
Just finished a dos maderas 5 + 5 with a RASCC...beautiful.

frankj1

Quotes+j - 12/5/2014  11:32 PM

wow! check out this review from the guru...http://www.rumgallery.com/zafra-master-reserve.html
a perfect 10!

The Burn Ward

I haven't tried most of the rums mentioned but I love Pyrat and Rhum Barbancourt 4,8 & 15. I've had Zaya and wasn't impressed though I did get a 1L for $25.

Jackal

Appleton Estate Reserve is an another excellent, fairly inexpensive rum.  It is a blend of 20 different rums, with the youngest being an 8 year.  Nice complexity and very smooth.

Hot Stuff x

We finally are getting The Kracken here in The Land of Morning Calm and Limited Selection of Spirits -- I need to give that one a try.  I also noticed they have about 4 varieties of Capt. Morgan now -- Original, Black, White, and one other one, maybe Private Stock.   Only rarely do we get any rums that are near the top shelf.   Anyone tried that Capt. Morgan White Rum?
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

kuke

Had Bacardi 8 with an Ashton VSG Sorcerer last night.  Very good pairing.  Bacardi 8 is a very good rum for the price.

Jackal

QuoteHot Stuff x - 12/8/2014  12:40 AM

We finally are getting The Kracken here in The Land of Morning Calm and Limited Selection of Spirits -- I need to give that one a try.  I also noticed they have about 4 varieties of Capt. Morgan now -- Original, Black, White, and one other one, maybe Private Stock.   Only rarely do we get any rums that are near the top shelf.   Anyone tried that Capt. Morgan White Rum?

I used to drink the white/ silver with coke.  It is an ok white, nothing special (about equal with Don Q and a lot smoother than Bacardi white) .  The Private Reserve is a decent sipping rum.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.