Rum and Cigars

Started by PuffinDaPuros, 09/11/2012 11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankj1

I also chose a Partagas. But knowing I wouldn't last too long even at the end of my heated garage with the door open I went with a Party Short. Needless to say, great combo.
Thanks again.

Frank

frankj1

too lazy to reread the thread, hoping I never mentioned...

Lost Spirits Distillery (Monterrey County) Navy Style Rum, cask strength 68% abv!!!
Buckle up, this stuff is lethal. Also, do not exhale near an open flame. you've been warned.

worth reading about the distillery, amazing rum, most will likely want to add water to proof it down.

whoa!!

frankj1

and from the same distillery, Lost Spirits, had their Cuban Inspired 151 proof...WOW! This should not be the first rum you try.
Very interesting story going on there, just learned they make a single malt American Whisky (whiskey?)

Frank

frankj1

Plantation 2001 (Jamaica) Old Reserve w/HDM Epi #2

Dave S.

Mount Gay Black Barrel, $24.99, & Mount Gay XO, $39.99, at Bevmo; not cheap, but excellent with a variety of cigars.
"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

appollo

My first experience with aged rum and cigars.I tried an Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva Churchill Maduro with an El Dorado 12yr. It was good.Will visit it again. :-)

Jackal

Enjoying some Havana Club 7 years Anejo with a Cohiba Behike right now.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

appollo

QuoteJackal - 12/8/2014  1:25 PM

QuoteHot Stuff x - 12/8/2014  12:40 AM

We finally are getting The Kracken here in The Land of Morning Calm and Limited Selection of Spirits -- I need to give that one a try.  I also noticed they have about 4 varieties of Capt. Morgan now -- Original, Black, White, and one other one, maybe Private Stock.   Only rarely do we get any rums that are near the top shelf.   Anyone tried that Capt. Morgan White Rum?

I used to drink the white/ silver with coke.  It is an ok white, nothing special (about equal with Don Q and a lot smoother than Bacardi white) .  The Private Reserve is a decent sipping rum.
We drink it all the time up here in The GWN.Usually mix it with Coke.I have never tried it neat.

Cap10_Morgan

Newbie here, resurrecting an old thread... I just found this and was looking for a good rum to pair with a cigar.  I'm pretty cheap with my alcohol since I tend to drink it all very quickly and I save the money for cigars.  So based on re-reading this thread, it sounded like Zaya Gran Reserva was the winner.  So I was checking Total Wine website from work before taking my lunch to pick up a bottle and read the following review.  Can anyone that recommended it so strongly years ago confirm if it is still a good recommendation?  I think I will pick something else for today, but will come back to this later if so.

On the Total Wine website, I read this review for it:
Not what it used to be
Sometime in 2016, possibly late 2015, Zaya changed the quality of this Rum. The old type of bottle said "Aged 12 Years" on the bottle's medallion and "12 Year Old" on the main label. Newer bottles just say "Blend of 12 Aged Rums" on the main label.
The old version was a five star value for its price. Not only is the newer version not even close, but the price increased around the same time. Shame.
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

junglepete

I like El Dorado 12 yr and 15 yr...but they are different animals against each other. The Havana Club Anejo
7year is okay, but I prefer others. Botran and Diplimatico are both good as well.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Cap10_Morgan

El Dorado 12 is actually what I picked up.  I'm new to sipping rum, which is a same since my nickname since the Army is Captain Morgan (last name is Morgan, and I drank a lot while in the Army).  Or maybe thats WHY I have only really drank Captain or the like.  I have always been a scotch or bourbon man.  But when I found this thread, it kind of made a good point... rum and cigars.  I need to try it, lol.  I'm looking forward to trying it and will report back here.  Thanks for the feedback.
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

klamm143

........just sippin' on Captain Morgan........and enjoying another Flathead......
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

tgs679

Lemon Hart 151 is the only rum I drink. neat or with Coca Cola

Jackal

If you want a decent sipping rum for a good price, give R.L. Seale a try.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cap10_Morgan

Quoteklamm143 - 5/2/2017  6:47 PM

........just sippin' on Captain Morgan........and enjoying another Flathead......

Get your dirty lips off me!  And I can't wait to try a flathead.  Just got one, but usually let mail order sticks rest, especially the ones I'm excited about. (Just came in this weekend).  I love CAO Gold Maduro and CAO Sopranos.  Also cant wait to try Consigliere. Hope its as good as i remember,  cause i MIGHT have been a little drinky when I had the Sopranos.

Cap10_Morgan

Quotetgs679 - 5/2/2017  6:57 PM

Lemon Hart 151 is the only rum I drink. neat or with Coca Cola

I'll have to check that out, but not for smoking.  I try to stay away from mixers while smoking and 151 is probably a little too much for me to sip, lol.

Cap10_Morgan

QuoteJackal - 5/2/2017  7:02 PM

If you want a decent sipping rum for a good price, give R.L. Seale a try.

Will add this one also, lol.  Because ok...HOW ON EARTH have I been missing out on this?  I guess I dismissed rum after my younger days of drinking cheap stuff.  Never got into fine spirits until I discovered scotch, then dabbled a little in bourbon. (But not nearly as much)  This El Dorado 12 yo is outstanding!  Paired it with a RyJ Vintage tonight and the rum is the main event, lol.  I will admit it is getting a little sweet though.  I think it is great, but I might have poured a bit much.  Anyone ever switch in mid cigar for 2 different experiences?  Think I'll see how 1st half is with rum and 2nd half with scotch...

Cap10_Morgan

Drank some El Dorado 12 again last night and this time it seemed even sweeter, straight from the start.  I liked the "character" or "complexity" (big words for me), but not how sweet it was, especially after a few sips.  So, out of all these great suggestions, which one still has the flavors, but not the syruppy sweetness?  Kind of like a scotch or bourbon I guess? Still has flavor, but isn't like a cordial.  Not that I expect it to TASTE like scotch or bourbon... I hope I'm getting my point across.

Silverstix

Wow almost a year to the day....

This Diplomatico has piqued my curiosity, it sounds like a nice sipper.  Anyone drinking it on a regular basis?

Savonian

QuoteSilverstix - 5/4/2018  5:17 PM

Wow almost a year to the day....

This Diplomatico has piqued my curiosity, it sounds like a nice sipper.  Anyone drinking it on a regular basis?

I am! A bit sweeter than how I usually like my rum, but still one of my absolute favourites. Definitely a sipper, and great with almost any medium to full cigars, too.

Silverstix

QuoteSavonian - 5/4/2018  12:14 PM  
QuoteSilverstix - 5/4/2018  5:17 PM  Wow almost a year to the day....  This Diplomatico has piqued my curiosity, it sounds like a nice sipper.  Anyone drinking it on a regular basis?
I am! A bit sweeter than how I usually like my rum, but still one of my absolute favourites. Definitely a sipper, and great with almost any medium to full cigars, too.

So tempted to go buy a bottle tonight after work....I've really tried giving scotch and bourbon a chance but it just does not agree with me 

Cap10_Morgan

I just tried the diplomatico last week and really liked it.  I actually found it less sweet than a few others (El Dorado, Zacapa) and a little "spicier".  Still on the sweeter side as it is rum and not scotch or bourbon, but really enjoyed the flavor.  Haven't had a chance to try it with a cigar yet though.

Silverstix

Went to my local liquor store but they didn't have it.  Picked up a little sample bottle of the Sailor Jerry, poured it with an ice cube.  Was not terrible by any means, but I'm still on the hunt for diplomatico

DonM

My go to is Cpt Morgan Private Stock.  Great stuff, by blood pressure don't like it so I take it in small doses  :biggrin:

"The Curmudgeon"

appollo

If you get a chance try Zaya rum.I have drank the El Dorado Rum in the 12,15 and 20 and I find This better.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.