Lighter Recommendations...

Started by JKG, 09/03/2008 03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JKG

Okay, my Colibri butane lighters crapped out and I'm looking for recommendations from the experts.  I had the Colibri CI Syncro lighters (the cheap ones, $14.99 each or, 2-fer $19.99) and they worked fine for almost a year then started sputtering and the flame goes out a second after it ignites.  I've tried draining and refilling, and cleaning the jet openings but it isn't working.  CI will credit my account once I return them which in itself is a pain in the a :censored: s.  

I prefer a good butane to using matches since I'm always outside (arghhh... no inside smoking clubs by me... ) :banghead: and the cheapy bic and bic clones from the quickie mart don't do well in the wind.  I'm looking at buying either a Xikar or a Zippo butane, or possibly one of those big, honkin, Vector Thundra Table Torches.

Any suggestions, comments good or bad?

SenorPablo

I have a Xikar and its worked great for years.  If I did a new one, I would probably go with a dual-flame.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

junglepete

I use a Brunton Storm. It is a waterproof and windproof outdoor adventure kind of lighter. It has butane fuel and boasts that it will provide up to 30,000 lights? Price range can be 45-65 dollars, here is a link for a 45.00 one. Most decent outdoors stores carry them. I love it and it works primo for me. Toasts the foot real nice.

http://www.campingcomfortably.com/brunton-storm-lighter.html
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

DePixeler

Easy,  Ronson jetlight.  3 bucks from walmart.  Works great, lasts a long time, and if you lose it, it won't but you.  Nice torch flame too.

podman28

I like Colibri actually. Both were freebies with box deals and work great. I have had them for a few years now. I would recommend finding a deal a get a free one.

Duker511

I agree with the Ronson Jetlight, under $3 and I have NEVER had the problems I hear from so many people with $40-$80 lighters. It lasts for a long time, never spits and sputters, and ALWAYS lights. If you look around the web youll find posts just like this one when this topic comes up. Dont be surprised if Walmart is out of them, people are catching on. Also, it is super easy to refill, every time! I used to use mine only outside and used a bic inside. Now, I seem to be using the Ronson all the time, I love it.
Tim

Turboknat

I have a Xikar dual torch now, and I love it.  Plus, it has a lifetime warrenty, and if something ever goes wrong with it, I can take it to my local B & M and they will swap it out right there.  I don't have to wait until it comes back from a few weeks repair.  The downside is that it does suck alot of fuel.  Must be the dual torch.  I bet a three burning is really bad on fuel.

Duker511

Thats another thing about the Ronson, it has a lifetime guarantee. It only has one burner, but it toastes and lights a cigar quickly. Here it is:

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=ronson+lighters&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ronsoncorp.com%2F

I have the Jetlite.
Tim

podman28

Unfortunately the link didn't work but for that money I will have to go over to Walmart and check it out. I like to leave a lighter at different strategic locations.

stogie_foggie

Try this link:
http://www.ronsoncorp.com/jetlite.htm

BTW, I have a Solo Trek lighter - double flame, windproof but sucks the fuel.  Think I paid $10 on sale.
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

Duker511

Thats funny, my link works for me, foggies doesnt, go figure. Anyways, I bought a Colibri lighter a couple years ago because it was $40, so it had to be good. After filling it a few times in the first 2 weeks I called the company and was told a secret,shhhh. I have sinse heard it a few times while surfing the internet. I was told to not fill the lighter all the way, just put a little fuel in the lighter, about half. I dont know why, or how, but it worked. The lighter lasted much longer. It may have something to do with the pressure, Im not sure but it worked for me. My Ronson I fill all the way and it lasts months. :biggrin:
Tim

cpfrombv

From my usage, Colibri is junk. I have one lighter from them that works good,the other that were given as gift "conked out". I suggest a Xikar or a vector. I have 2 Vector Deltas and they work great. I have had one for about 8 years and have had no problems out of it. They say they give a 5 year warranty but, I have heard guys sending them back that were way older than that. If you get any kind, get one that uses the "pieza"(?) spark ignition. The ones with the coil can break after over heating.
I work at a cigar store. You still think you have a better job?

texlewee

I have 2 Xikar's. One broke.  I ran over it with a golf cart. My B & M exchanged it on the spot.

They are dependable and always light. Unless you run over them.

CBID is a great place to get a xikar lighter cheap !!
" The only thing better than a good cigar is ANOTHER good cigar. "

" What a pleasant stain comes from an enemy's blood.  "

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=texlewee

JKG

I've been meaning to thank everyone for thier suggestions.  I ordered a couple of the Ronson Jetlite butane torches ($5 each) but they were backordered and after 3-4 weeks I'm still waiting for them to ship.  While waiting I ordered a Brunton Helios and I have to say, this is one d :censored: n fine lighter.  This thing holds a ton of fuel and has a site glass to let you know when it's running low. The flame can be easily adjusted without using a screwdriver (unscrew the bottom cap and move the lever) and it adjusts from a very low glow to a flame you could weld with.  It's great in the wind which is important to me because I smoke on my patio.  The only downside is that the igniting lever gets a little hot if you run it to high for too long (duh!) :nono:   It's weatherproof and appears to be built to withstand the blast at ground zero of a nuclear explosion. :-0

Christopher62

I'll put in my vote for the Xikar dual flame lighter. I also own one of their cutters and I could not be more pleased. They make an affordable, quality product and back it with a no-questions-asked lifetime guarantee. And the B & M from which I purchased it will back the warranty on their behalf.

I know I could probably get a cheapie lighter that would cost only a few bucks and work for a month or so and then I'd toss it. Still, for me one of the joys of cigar smoking, or any hobby for that matter, are all the other accoutrements that go along with it. I have a sentimental place in my heart for my blue Xikar dual flame lighter (a gift from the missus) and all the great cigars it has lit for me over the years. I'm nostalgic like that...
~Christopher

Duker511

I have to admit, I recently heard from one guy that his Ronson stopped working....after 2.5 years, he paid $1.99 and smoked 2 packs of  cigarettes and a couple cigars daily. Now the price is $2.85 at Walmart with a lifetime warranty. They are now used by military personel in Iraq and Afganistan, even the USA military cant find a more reliable lighter.

Photobucket

Its a tough lighter to kill!!! This one is still working. They start out shiney silver.
Tim

jmagg

QuoteDuker511 - 9/4/2008  7:05 AM

I agree with the Ronson Jetlight, under $3 and I have NEVER had the problems I hear from so many people with $40-$80 lighters. It lasts for a long time, never spits and sputters, and ALWAYS lights. If you look around the web youll find posts just like this one when this topic comes up. Dont be surprised if Walmart is out of them, people are catching on. Also, it is super easy to refill, every time! I used to use mine only outside and used a bic inside. Now, I seem to be using the Ronson all the time, I love it.

Does anyone know if Walmart still carries these lighters?  I looked at the local Super Walmart and didn't see them, asked at the tobacco register and they just gave me that blank stare that most walmart employees have mastered.

No standard, other than a man's own judgment, can be used to measure the greatness of a cigar; to each his own, own opinion and own cigar.-Mark Twain

Duker511

Ours still does. Although Ive had the same one for a couple years, I have bought a few for other people. Ill pick up a few next time Im there and Ill send you one if you want jmagg. Ill probably stop there friday or saturday. PM me your address jmagg.
Tim

jmagg

Thanks Duker......... PM sent.
No standard, other than a man's own judgment, can be used to measure the greatness of a cigar; to each his own, own opinion and own cigar.-Mark Twain

shawneous

My local cigar shop has the large Perdomo table lighter and that is super nice to light with

podman28

I got a Ronson from Duker and it does work pretty well. When at the club though I use a couple of pretty cool Vector lighters. One is the Burner but the one I really like is the Megapump. I would never buy one for home at $130 and sucking butane like crazy but when I can use it there........... Here is the link for Vector. http://www.vectorkgm.com/ :smoker:

stogie_foggie

I use the Vector butane - probably the best out there.  

My lighter never clogs or doesn't light - except when I'm freezing my butt off outside in 30 degree weather trying to enjoy a cigar....  ah, winter.
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

Duker511

For $3 the Ronson is a great lighter, even in sub-zero temps!! As long as you remember to purge all the fluid before re-filling, no problem.

Ive heard alot of people saying they need to buy 3, 4, even 5 times refined fluid so their lighters dont clog. With the Ronson Ive never had a problem with the 89 cent Ronson fuel, works like a dream. Ive seen bottles of fancy fluid for $6-$8 a bottle. If you need to buy that stuff every other month, with the shipping charge, thats over $100 a year for fluid, you might as well use matches. :crazy:
Tim

lowpro75

I picked up a Ronson Jetlite at CVS on your recommendation.  I figure that I can always use a quality lighter plus I have some cheaper butane that I bought a while ago that never worked with my other lighters.  It was a little under 5 bucks.  It was behind the counter with the cigarettes and other tobacco stuff, in case anyone is looking for one.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Twinky

Ive got a $3 lighter from Walgreens but its out of butane. I think its cheaper to just get the realy long fire place matchs.
"Smoking cigars don't make you cool. Being cool makes you smoke cigars" -Me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.