What's your preferred type of cutter?

Started by ab4ka, 11/01/2012 08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab4ka

When I say type I don't mean brand, but what type such as a guillotine, V-cut, punch, scissors, etc.

I've always thought I had to use a guillotine cutter, although with two years of practice behind me I still don't feel like I'm very good at it, which is one reason I prefer torpedo cigars...easier to cut  :biggrin:   I've had the best luck with a little Credo cutter I picked up, it's a guillotine but works kind of like scissors.  It's done me pretty well.

But recently just for kicks and giggles I picked up an inexpensive V-cutter at my local bodega and the more I use it, the more I like it.  I get much more consistent cuts and haven't noticed anything as far as buildup or changes in the flavors.  After reading the review here on the Xikar I'd like to get one.  

That being said, I'm curious as to what your experiences have been with different types of cutters and if you have a preference.
a genuine cigar smoking bourbon drinking Florida cracker

MT21

I have a Palio guillotine which I really like.  Neil always uses a V-cut and since Ken has given his such rave reviews I just might have to pick one up somewhere down the road.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

lubrix

I use a Palio guillotine also and a v-cutter but it depends on the vitola on which one I use.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Hapcigar

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Ken Kelley

QuoteMT21 - 11/1/2012  9:32 AM

I have a Palio guillotine which I really like.  Neil always uses a V-cut and since Ken has given his such rave reviews I just might have to pick one up somewhere down the road.

I've got to admit I have become a convert to the V-cut. However, it's not the end all, be all cutter for every need. I still intend to use a 007 punch on short filler cigars, my Xikar MTX multitool scissors will still be indispensable for trimming heads, cutting the ends off cigars I intend to continue smoking later, and my rarely used Xi will still see some use for other cutting chores. I am still in the early stages of using the v-cutter but I already see it will likely be the first one I pick up in the future.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Jackal

I switch back and forth between V-cutting, normal guillotine (XiKar) and "scalloped" (desktop cutter)

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cigary

QuoteJackal - 11/1/2012  8:09 AM  I switch back and forth between V-cutting, normal guillotine (XiKar) and "scalloped" (desktop cutter)

Have always loved a V Cut and I do most of my cuts with this...the desktop SS cutter that has the scalloped cut has been doing great...best deal I've had in a long time ( great for cutting finger/toe nails ) and I still use a straight cut as well.  I think we all go thru periods and change things up and I keep a punch on my key chain just in case I'm out...

nwb

For large RG, I use my Palio guillotine. For small RG and belicosos/torpedoes, I use my Xikar V-cut.
Chief of Shaft

irratebass

I use a punch 90% of the time, I prefer V-cut on torpedos and rarely do a straight cut.
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=irratebass

Beegerply

I use a Xikar2 cutter all the time, someday I mite try the v-cut,  :confused:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

nirab

V cut almost all of my cigars. It's clean, easy and works great. There are times that I go with a straight cut, but very rarely. I have never used a punch, so I can't say anything about that type of cut. V for Victory and V for V cut!  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

bmac7754

I always use my Xikar V1 cutter, but due to rave reviews here on CG I have purchased a Xikar V-cutter. It's in the mail and looking foward to using it soon. 
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

mpurtle01

Quotebmac7754 - 11/1/2012  6:01 PM

I always use my Xikar V1 cutter, but due to rave reviews here on CG I have purchased a Xikar V-cutter. It's in the mail and looking foward to using it soon. 

Me too, except I haven't ordered the v cutter yet.  I REALLY want one.

Robert LG

V Cut 95% of the time.  Occasionally I'll pull out the Palio but it's getting more and more rare.  I use the Xikar V cutter on the road and the SS tabletop cutter at home.  I like it's scalloped cut better than a straight cut but the V wins almost all of the time for me.  I agree with Gary(Cigary) that the tabletop cutter is a superb value and actually does a better job than the Xikar V.
Rob

chief791

I bounce back and forth between a v cut and a straight cut. i have been using the v cut more and more lately. i"m going to have to spring for a Xicar when i catch it on sale one of these days.
"Well now I'm no hero, That's understood
All the redemption I can offer, girl, Is beneath this dirty hood"
From Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen

"Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry."

Buford T. Justice

Shukpaw

I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

billy82

love my guillotine (XiKar)  Xi Blue. want to get the V-cutter from XiKar badly.
But I really liked the name "Wish Stealer". It had a Native American ring to it. -Brlesq

A wise geek once told me that moving up from a daily smoke to a weekly or even bi-monthly smoke would be worth it, if I could learn how to appreciate a really really good cigar. -southernrun
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=billy82

lowpro75

I used Xikar scissors almost all of the time.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Rebecca Silverwolf

I have a Palio guillotine, though I will sometimes also use a v-cut.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

toby2

i use the tabletop four way cutter at home and a Xi2 away.

1sgjeffward

QuoteCigary - 11/1/2012  9:16 AM

Have always loved a V Cut and I do most of my cuts with this...the desktop SS cutter that has the scalloped cut has been doing great...best deal I've had in a long time.

I use the V's on my 4 way SS Tabletop for almost everything as well. Best $35 I have ever spent on a cigar accessory! When on the road or otherwise out and about I use a Xikar Xi2 but looking for a Xikar VX V-cut in the stocking this year from Santa :biggrin:
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

sjn1117

i have always used a guillotine straight cut cause that was what i was used to. every so often ill use a punch if im driving and dont want to "dick" cut on accident. but i just purchased about 3 hrs ago my first v cutter after all the hype here at cg and im damned impressed. why didnt i try this sooner?! walked into serious cigars in houston and there it was, calling me, beckoning my purchase, a xikar xv, eewwwww, they had one and its mine! im now convinced, v all the way baby!
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

ROTHNH

Xikar STK.  Cuban Crafters Double Guillotine as a back-up.

Not a fan of anything else, TBH.

grabow66

I have 2 xi 2s.and a xi3 and a xikar x8.but I am now finding myself using my xikar v cutter more.
If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

nkowal

Mostly Xikar v-cutter now, but otherwise Palio guillotine.

Only recently switched to v-cut, but really enjoying it.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.