Fresh Cider Fermenting Away

Started by NES Tek, 11/03/2012 10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NES Tek

I've been wanting to make hard cider for the past few years and finally had to go for it. A couple weeks ago I had akira pick me up 5 gallons of fresh pressed cider from an orchard he visited. I now have my 6 gallon carboy full of happily bubbling cider. I'm shooting for a mostly dry cider with good fruit character. Coming in around 6%.

Damn...I can't wait!!!   :dancing:  :dancing:

Any other geeks ever make hard cider? I know we have some homebrewers here.

"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

gitfiddl

I never have, but I got some kin what has.   :biggrin:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

toby2

looks good! it will give you a bang of a head ache if you overindulge.

Ken Kelley

Looks good! Hard cider has quite a history in the US. From what I can gather, our forefathers were a drunken crowd...all the way down to the kids!

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2009/09/what_would_john_adams_drink.html
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

NES Tek

Thank for sharing the article Ken!!! Very cool!
I pretty damn patriotic now!
:usa:

:cheers:   to cider...what America was built on!
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

ntanner

i havn't done cider? not hi on my chart but a lot of people like it. ive heard a cinamon stick in the secondary ferment really adds a nice flavor to the cider. i have a batch of mead fermenting right now, hopeing to have a glass for the holidays. what yeast did you use?
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

NES Tek

I'd really like to try mead some day. I've studies a bit on how to, but have never actually drank any. I'll probably get a bourbon Barrel Porter going here soon so it's in prime condition for next holiday season.

ntanner

nothing better then a fine stick and a good porter.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

lubrix

Wow! That will make one great cider bash.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Jackal

If you want to send a growler down south, I can taste test the final product or you  :cheers:

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

NES Tek

We'll see how it comes out. I can't wait! IF this goes well, I'll sart making cider a lot more! I'll have some good stuff to send around. :-)

NES Tek

Just took a hydrometer reading yesterday. Came in below 1.000, crazy! First time I've seen that. This should come in about 6.3% ABV. I'll take it! Still needs time to clarify and age a bit.

Everyone should try this. Super easy to do and you could find a new beverage to keep around the house!

scorwen

Did you add it to the carboy right from the containers and then pitch it? Or did you boil it?

BXgreenhorn

QuoteJackal - 11/3/2012  5:46 PM

If you want to send a growler down south, I can taste test the final product or you  :cheers:

:word: but send it east for me  :biggrin:

1sgjeffward

Looks good! gonna have to let us know how it turned out.
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

Brentcally

I really want to try some home brewin! Can't wait to see how yours turns out.
-Brent-

-Don't go away mad, just go away.

billy82

Looks nice.  I have apple butter cooking right now.  I bet they would go giod together
But I really liked the name "Wish Stealer". It had a Native American ring to it. -Brlesq

A wise geek once told me that moving up from a daily smoke to a weekly or even bi-monthly smoke would be worth it, if I could learn how to appreciate a really really good cigar. -southernrun
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=billy82

NES Tek

Quotescorwen - 11/10/2012  12:52 PM

Did you add it to the carboy right from the containers and then pitch it? Or did you boil it?

I added it straight to the carboy with some campden tablets. Then some pectin enzyme, which now has no effect after the fermentation. And then a packet of Wyeast 4766 Cider.

Thinking of backsweeting part with brown sugar and (very little) spices, and the other half just with wine conditioner.

scorwen

QuoteNES Tek - 11/11/2012  10:24 AM

Quotescorwen - 11/10/2012  12:52 PM

I added it straight to the carboy with some campden tablets. Then some pectin enzyme, which now has no effect after the fermentation. And then a packet of Wyeast 4766 Cider.

Thinking of backsweeting part with brown sugar and (very little) spices, and the other half just with wine conditioner.

Nice! Just bottled some pumpkin ale for the holidays and I used brown sugar, but it was boiled in the wort.  Added some really nice color and complexity, I'm sure it would do the same as a back-sweetener.

jrrose

Seems that the fermenting is on progress due to the formation of bubbles. Does that tastes like vinegar when the full age had been reached?

jdwaynes1980

Well... considering this post was already resurrected from several months ago... how did it turn out?
Roll Tide!

c.petree.1

How did it turn out? I made one around the same time and it was great. I put in a few cans of frozen apple concentrate that I boiled with cinnamon and it came through with a crisp apple taste. It was apple pie in a bottle.

BXgreenhorn

Quotec.petree.1 - 4/28/2013  10:56 PM

How did it turn out? I made one around the same time and it was great. I put in a few cans of frozen apple concentrate that I boiled with cinnamon and it came through with a crisp apple taste. It was apple pie in a bottle.

Sounds tasty.

Smurf

orbis non sufficit

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.