Happy Newbie Year Pass!

Started by Brlesq, 12/24/2012 09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brlesq

QuoteGreenfairypipe - 1/3/2013  11:41 PM

Are we supposed to send it back to bruce after each individual? :?:  :confused:

NOooo!!  I would go broke on postage!   :rolleyes: You will transition and send the Pass to the next guy in line.  But good question!

What you see happening is that Smurf and Mpurtle01 are both outside of the US, so they are playing the Pass 'virtually', which means they don't actually receive the box.  (I put Smurf at the front and Mpurtle01 at the end.)  Virtual players post their puts and takes on-line and then send me their puts. Once I receive their puts (+$5 for return postage), I add their puts to the Pass, mail them their takes and then mail the entire box pass to the next person in line. Smurf sent his cigars from Canada, so once I receive them I will put them in the Pass and mail it off to Cigarzinn, and he will send it to the next player in line.  I will be the only one that has to worry about handling the 'virtual' puts and takes.

Once Eric's cigars arrive here this thing will start rolling along.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Greenfairypipe

Thanks for the clarification.   :shamebag:  :shamebag:  :shamebag:
Wolfeman

"After the first glass of absinthe you see things as you wish they were. After the second you see them as they are not. Finally you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world."
- Oscar Wilde

bmac7754

Excellent question. I was wondering why they went to you and not cigarzinn myself. All makes sense now. Roll on.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Brlesq

QuoteGreenfairypipe - 1/4/2013  1:32 PM

Thanks for the clarification.   :shamebag:  :shamebag:  :shamebag:

No shamebags for that, Mike. It was a good question!

Newbie Passes are all about learning, so questions are encouraged, either in the forum or in a PM. Assuming that you know an answer and then making mistakes is highly discouraged.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

cigarzinn

I await eagerly for the pass when it gets to me!

Brlesq

Quotecigarzinn - 1/4/2013  2:19 PM

When I am up next in a Pass and before it gets to me, I usually start looking through the cigars listed in the Pass and deciding on which ones I might Take.  Then I price them and look through my personal stash to see what cigars I might want to Put (and make sure these comply with the Pass rules) and price those as well.  It takes a bit of research sometimes, but that is part of the fun.  That way I don't hold up the Pass too long once it gets to me.

Of course, once I open the actual box, I change my mind on one or two because they are just calling out to me.       :rolleyes:   But at least the majority of my research is done.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Smurf

Ah home work!  i like this kind of "work"  LOL
orbis non sufficit

cigarzinn

QuoteBrlesq - 1/4/2013  3:18 PM

Quotecigarzinn - 1/4/2013  2:19 PM

When I am up next in a Pass and before it gets to me, I usually start looking through the cigars listed in the Pass and deciding on which ones I might Take.  Then I price them and look through my personal stash to see what cigars I might want to Put (and make sure these comply with the Pass rules) and price those as well.  It takes a bit of research sometimes, but that is part of the fun.  That way I don't hold up the Pass too long once it gets to me.

Of course, once I open the actual box, I change my mind on one or two because they are just calling out to me.       :rolleyes:   But at least the majority of my research is done.

I already have some in mind  :biggrin: but will probably change my mind  :shy:

ewu

Is there a common way to designate cigars that are a tip for the pass organizer versus free-game for the other pass participants?
"Everything works, some things work better than others, and nothing works forever."

Brlesq

Quoteewu - 1/4/2013  6:31 PM

Is there a common way to designate cigars that are a tip for the pass organizer versus free-game for the other pass participants?

If its a special cigar that you only want the moderator to have, then folks put it into its own ziploc or finger bag and put the mod's name on it.  This doesn't count as a Put for the Pass, but should be listed as an additional Put with a note like "Name of Cigar (for Moderator)" so that we know its there and so that it doesn't disappear along the way.  

Others just add a tip by adding an extra qualifying cigar to their Puts.  These, of course, become up for grabs, but the Mod still ends up with more cigars then he sent out.

Which reminds me to mention a cardinal rule of any Pass:  When you get the Pass, the first thing you do is take an inventory against the cigar list. OK, maybe you gawk and drool a little first, do a happy dance, but THEN you count them and compare the names against the inventory. Look for damaged cigars. If there is a discrepency or damaged cigars, report it to the Mod via PM as soon as possible, and don't do your Puts and Takes. Sometimes the last guy forget to put all the cigars back in the box, other times a newb has misidentified a cigar.  These problems can usually be fixed via PMs or in the forum if necessary.  But on the rare occasion there is a thief, if you fail to take an inventory on your turn, then you will be suspect of the crime when missing/misidentified cigars are discovered by the next guy in line.  It's your own reputation that you are protecting by taking the time to do the inventory.   :thumbsup:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Brlesq

Eric's puts arrived today (along with a surprise bomb).  Good takes and puts, Eric, and thanks for getting the pass rolling so quickly as the first player.

Christian - I can mail this out Monday.  Are you ready to receive?
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Otter

I hope they survived that cold weather up in Canada :)
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

cigarzinn

Bruce, I am actually heading out of town from Wed to Sat.  I am ready if the pass arrives before tuesday.  if not, Can you push me down a spot?

Brlesq

Quotecigarzinn - 1/6/2013  4:29 PM

Bruce, I am actually heading out of town from Wed to Sat.  I am ready if the pass arrives before tuesday.  if not, Can you push me down a spot?

No problem.  This is exactly why we should always ask before sending.

I sent a PM to Brian  (bmac7754) to see if he is ready to take this.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

cigarzinn

Cool.  I will be ready after that.  Thanks!

Smurf

QuoteOtter - 1/5/2013  7:36 PM

I hope they survived that cold weather up in Canada :)

oh yea had them packed in special Canadain ice!!  LOL :biggrin:
orbis non sufficit

Smurf

QuoteBrlesq - 1/5/2013  7:30 PM

Eric's puts arrived today (along with a surprise bomb).  Good takes and puts, Eric, and thanks for getting the pass rolling so quickly as the first player.

Christian - I can mail this out Monday.  Are you ready to receive?

my pleasure thanks for organizing this pass. :smoker:
orbis non sufficit

Otter

QuoteSmurf - 1/6/2013  7:59 PM

oh yea had them packed in special Canadain ice!!  LOL :biggrin:

I am sure Bruce will have no problems getting them to catch on fire one by one  :smoker2:
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

bmac7754

QuoteBrlesq - 1/6/2013  5:24 PM  
Quotecigarzinn - 1/6/2013  4:29 PM  Bruce, I am actually heading out of town from Wed to Sat.  I am ready if the pass arrives before tuesday.  if not, Can you push me down a spot?
No problem.  This is exactly why we should always ask before sending.  I sent a PM to Brian  (bmac7754) to see if he is ready to take this.

Thanks Bruce got the PM.  No problem, sending to me is perfect.  I'm ready, got my eye on a few sticks, and will shoot off to Cigarzinn when finished.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

wescat

QuoteBrlesq - 1/4/2013  8:11 AM  
QuoteGreenfairypipe - 1/3/2013  11:41 PM  Are we supposed to send it back to bruce after each individual? :?:  :confused:
NOooo!!  I would go broke on postage!   :rolleyes: You will transition and send the Pass to the next guy in line.  But good question!  What you see happening is that Smurf and Mpurtle01 are both outside of the US, so they are playing the Pass 'virtually', which means they don't actually receive the box.  (I put Smurf at the front and Mpurtle01 at the end.)  Virtual players post their puts and takes on-line and then send me their puts. Once I receive their puts (+$5 for return postage), I add their puts to the Pass, mail them their takes and then mail the entire box pass to the next person in line. Smurf sent his cigars from Canada, so once I receive them I will put them in the Pass and mail it off to Cigarzinn, and he will send it to the next player in line.  I will be the only one that has to worry about handling the 'virtual' puts and takes.   Once Eric's cigars arrive here this thing will start rolling along.

x2 -- Damn good question, and solid moderation. Lead on Bruce !!

The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Brlesq

Took the Pass to the Post Office at lunch today.  On its way to you, Brian!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

bmac7754

QuoteBrlesq - 1/7/2013  1:36 PM  Took the Pass to the Post Office at lunch today.  On its way to you, Brian!

Cool, looks like delivery on Wed.  I'll make sure I get to the post office before they close.

bmac7754

Got the box today, did puts and takes.  Packed back up and will Drop off at the Post office this Friday, as cigarzinn will be returning this weekend to receive.

cigarzinn

Great.  Thanks!  Look forward to getting it.

Brlesq

Quotebmac7754 - 1/8/2013  7:01 PM

Got the box today, did puts and takes.  Packed back up and will Drop off at the Post office this Friday, as cigarzinn will be returning this weekend to receive.

Great Puts and Takes, Brian.  Thanks for checking with Christian up front and accomodating his schedule.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.