best bang for my buck scotch.

Started by grabow66, 12/31/2012 04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grabow66

OK I rarely drink and the only booze I have on the house is a pint of JW black label blended scotch. Its pretty good. I'm on a tight budget so in your opinion, what's the best scotch in the $40 range or below.
If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

Foe

My personal favorite is Glenfiddich 12 Year Single Malt...it's not peated either, so that's a plus for my palate...

tvolball

Never had Scotch. Really don't what to expect from it.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Longhorn

Highland or Speyside origins will have less smokiness to them.  If that floats your boat, Arbelour, Aberfeldy, Glenmorangie, Dalwhinnie, Glenlivet, Bowmore, and as mentioned Glenfiddich are all good.  Prices vary by state due to taxation, but you should be able to find any of these with 10 - 12 years of age in the $40 range.  Sounds like a nice time at your place today!

southernpacifico

My newest scotch I have found is Bowmore 15year. Well not the new, been through a few bottles....
Things I believe:
Life is too short not to pull the trigger!
The best cigar, I haven't smoked yet.
Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another Scotch (Beer, Rum, Bourbon..) and Cigar!! The choices are endless......
SMOKE ON BOTLs

MT21

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

Brlesq

Best bang for the buck?  McClelland's Single Malt from any of the 4 regions.  I prefer the Lowland.  $20
http://www.mcclellands.co.uk/product-range/
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

toby2

when Macallan went over $50 a bottle i switched over to rum. i still grab one every now and again. no help here....

grabow66

If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

ewu

Another vote for Glenmorangie...will be a nice step up from JW but similar profile
"Everything works, some things work better than others, and nothing works forever."

PETE314

For just a couple bucks more...I am a fan of the Balvenie Doublewood 12 year....
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Mautrak

If you have a Costco nearby, check their stock of single malt scotch.  I get Macallan's there, and the 12 year is in the $40 range, and Costco has it's own line (Kirkland) that, at least in years past, has been Macallan's 15 year scotch.  It is wonderful.

On the cheap side, Trader Joes has a single malt 12 year scotch, and it's only about $20 if I recall correctly.  But it tasted as though I had added water, but I had not.

jff11

Your Jwb is a blended whisky. If you want to step up to single malts you might want to try something with just a touch of smoke. Bruchladdich laddie 10, and Highland Park 12 are both very good choices and within a couple of bucks of your 40.00 target, depending on the tax structure of where you live.

Hope that helps.

cigarzinn

I am abig fan of Macallan's 12 year old and Oban 14 year old.  Glenmorangie 10 is also good for the price.

cmmayo

Quoteewu - 12/31/2012  11:49 AM

Another vote for Glenmorangie...will be a nice step up from JW but similar profile

Same here. And the Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or (which was on sale for $50 at my store of choice before Christmas) is really amazing.

For a stronger flavor, go Laphroaig (10 Year) and for a smoother flavor, Glenlivet 12 year old. Almost any Glenfiddich is also a good choice. Learning about Scotch is as much fun as learning about cigars. Plus, it'll get you sh!t-faced!
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

Jackal

I vote for the Glenlivet 15 Year Old.  $40 at BevMo

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

nirab

I got six rolls of 3M on sale at Walgreens for $3 bucks. That's .50 a roll....oh wait, wrong scotch, sorry. :-)
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

metalhead y cigarguy

I haven't had a lot of Scotch whiskey's, but I do like The Glenlivet 12 year which can be found for about $30-35 here in WA so probably cheaper else where.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

87North

I've been drinking a lot of Speyburn lately.  Perhaps not the most complex thing out there but I've found it to be a good value in a single malt.
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

southernrun

Glenmorangie Original for me

apostlegato

All I've had is speyside and it was very yummy I thought.
Mike Burns
"If I had taken my doctor's advice and quit smoking when he advised me to, I wouldn't have lived to go to his funeral." – George Burns

CrazyK

I recently tried Laphroaig Quarter Cask and was very pleasantly surprised. It has a nice balance of peat, smoke and caramel. It paired very well with the LFD DL Chisel I was smoking.
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

Smurf

QuoteMautrak - 12/31/2012  1:00 PM

If you have a Costco nearby, check their stock of single malt scotch.  I get Macallan's there, and the 12 year is in the $40 range, and Costco has it's own line (Kirkland) that, at least in years past, has been Macallan's 15 year scotch.  It is wonderful.

On the cheap side, Trader Joes has a single malt 12 year scotch, and it's only about $20 if I recall correctly.  But it tasted as though I had added water, but I had not.

I wish my Costco sold this kinda stuff!!
orbis non sufficit

junglepete

although I am a great fan of The Macallan 12yr....recently I have been drinking Pinch 15yr blended $25...pretty damn good IMO
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

uplander12ga

If you're not hung up on the single malt tag, give Famous Grouse a go. Very smooth, blended scotch. :thumbsup:
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it, everything fades away, your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. ~Raul Julia

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.