A new type of pass...Virtually!

Started by jharrisx5, 01/05/2013 07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jharrisx5

This is a thread generated automatically by the Cigar Pass system to discuss the Cigar Pass named ' A new type of pass...Virtually!'.

Use this link to return back to the Cigar Pass.
Puff Puff Give....

BXgreenhorn

So Jason, we send all the puts directly to u  along with the return postage?

Ken Kelley

I see this pass being able to eliminate a lot of the difficulties and risk associated with a normal pass.

I see this pass as being inordinately complicated to no good end. Good luck, if you decide to proceed.

Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

BXgreenhorn

I'm in. I think sending it to one person is a great idea.

jharrisx5

yes...the puts will come to me, along with return postage so I can send your cigars to you.

I think this form of pass should take much less time to complete...Or at least I hope so.
Puff Puff Give....

jharrisx5

QuoteAlphairon - 1/5/2013  5:34 PM

I see this pass being able to eliminate a lot of the difficulties and risk associated with a normal pass.

I see this pass as being inordinately complicated to no good end. Good luck, if you decide to proceed.

I'm not quite sure how this is more complicated.  Shipping should cost less than sending a heavy box, there are still normal puts and takes, and the box of cigars doesn't have to bounce all over the country for months on end.  Yes there is more to do for the moderator, but I also don't have to worry about somebody walking with the entire pass.
Puff Puff Give....

tvolball

Two problems I see here.
1. If someone doesn't send there puts to you it screws it up for everyone after that person that may have taken some of there puts.

2. Your paying double the postage. I've got to pay to send it to you plus I've got to pay to get mine sent back to me.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

BXgreenhorn

This is something new might be scary to some people. I don't see any more risk than any other pass. You're paying double postage for a small package that's still comes out less than shipping a large package. I trust Jason and am willing to give it a try.

chief791

I like the idea Jason. No need to worry about repackaging the pass box. Relabling too. I'm in. Why not give it a try?
"Well now I'm no hero, That's understood
All the redemption I can offer, girl, Is beneath this dirty hood"
From Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen

"Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry."

Buford T. Justice

jharrisx5

I know this is a new thing, and may not be for everyone.  In my experience, nearly every box pass I have done has cost $11-$13 to ship.  Shipping twice for a small flat-rate USPS priority with DC# is $10.70...not a lot of difference, but cheaper than almost every pass I have ever shipped.

My major concern is a member not sending what they identify as their PUTS...If that happens things get complicated.  I have confidence in my BOTL that this won't happen.  In fact, rarely is there ever a problem with the right cigars not being PUT in a normal pass...sometimes a cigar isn't sent by accident, and that could happen here.  I think the biggest issue would be if a member didn't send ANY of their PUTS...If there is a wrong put, it can be resolved with a PM and the member sending the cigar, or subbing with another cigar (if the next member in line who TOOK that cigar agrees).

I think this will work and I'm willing to be the lab rat...
Puff Puff Give....

Brlesq

Quotejharrisx5 - 1/5/2013  8:53 PM

QuoteAlphairon - 1/5/2013  5:34 PM

I'm not quite sure how this is more complicated.  Shipping should cost less than sending a heavy box, there are still normal puts and takes, and the box of cigars doesn't have to bounce all over the country for months on end.  Yes there is more to do for the moderator, but I also don't have to worry about somebody walking with the entire pass.

I've gotta agree with Ken on this as it is currently set up.  If only one guy fails to send his puts (changes his mind or doesn't show up here for 3 months due to life unexpectancies), especially someone near the front of the pass, it screws up the takes an puts for the rest of the pass.  As the moderator, you will need to cover those puts because the other pass members will have sent you their puts and will expect their takes.  The risk shouldn't be on them.  

The only way this will work without that problem is for you to have each member send their puts on their turn, and once you receive them THEN the next player lists his takes/puts, and you can send the takes to the last player while waiting for these next puts.  If the puts don't arrive in a stated time frame, you can eliminate that player and move onto the next one. Other than that wrinkle, its not a bad idea, but it will be a lot of work for the moderator.  Good luck!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Longhorn

Interesting process.

Perhaps each participant should also be required to post a picture of their puts via the pass forum - once you get a tracking confirmation, you can have a higher confidence level that the right puts are on their way... Good luck with the test group.

Smurf

Virtual pass is something us folks  north of the border are quite familar with. It makes sense for anyone not in the USA, but it sounds like a lot of work for the moderator and more money on postage.
That being said glad to see your willing to be the lab rat :) good luck with it all.
orbis non sufficit

cmmayo

--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

SenorPablo

It is an interesting idea.  I'm curious to watch this unfold.  It does seem like a lot of work for the mod, but if your cool with it go for it.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

cibolodave

interesting. never seen this before

jharrisx5

QuoteLonghorn - 1/5/2013  8:26 PM

Interesting process.

Perhaps each participant should also be required to post a picture of their puts via the pass forum - once you get a tracking confirmation, you can have a higher confidence level that the right puts are on their way... Good luck with the test group.

I like this idea...just helps to keep us all honest.

With this pass I'm basically just putting my $$ where my mouth is.  I had suggested this as a possible idea, so instead of complaining and stopping there, I'm going to offer a possible solution.  Hopefully I won't regret it...I don't think I will.
Puff Puff Give....

mpurtle01

tvolball

I guess the postage issue really isn't any different then the big box....all in all I would try it
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Beegerply

I like the idea, just like one giant trade, I'm in
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

wescat

Quotejharrisx5 - 1/6/2013  1:28 AM  
QuoteLonghorn - 1/5/2013  8:26 PM  Interesting process.  Perhaps each participant should also be required to post a picture of their puts via the pass forum - once you get a tracking confirmation, you can have a higher confidence level that the right puts are on their way... Good luck with the test group.
I like this idea...just helps to keep us all honest.  With this pass I'm basically just putting my $$ where my mouth is.  I had suggested this as a possible idea, so instead of complaining and stopping there, I'm going to offer a possible solution.  Hopefully I won't regret it...I don't think I will.

Huge kudos to you for pioneering this concept Jason   :bigthumbs:

The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

toby2

Quotetvolball - 1/6/2013  7:44 AM  I guess the postage issue really isn't any different then the big box....all in all I would try it

yeah small flat rate twice is more or equal to medium once. but i get the concept. good luck.

junglepete

Go for it! Have fun with it.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

87North

Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

cocon

Gonna give it a try, if you will let me.  I like it because if a geek is out traveling or something the box will not sit on the porch for week...
WOOOOO - Ric Flair

Train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins - Hulk Hogan

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.