Not sure how I feel about this...

Started by uplander12ga, 02/12/2013 03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uplander12ga

Being a Makers Mark 46 fan, I sure hope it doesn't change the taste. This is generally my pairing for my higher end, premium smokes...

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/02/12/maker-mark-reducing-alcohol-volume-to-stretch-supplies-its-bourbon-amid-strong/
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it, everything fades away, your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. ~Raul Julia

Mautrak

A story that I heard about this last night noted that their expert tasters couldn't even tell a difference.  I could understand the general public not noticing a difference between the two.  But their own experts?  I would hope they'd be able to tell the difference.  Either that, or I hope the news story I heard got it wrong.

CrazyK

I don't think that dropping the alcohol a couple of percent is going to make a big difference in the flavour. It might however make it smoother, or less "hot". I usually add a couple ml of water to my bourbon or scotch and it generally makes it better. I guess we'll  just have to see!
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

Ringadingh

Ive never tried Makers Mark as of yet. I think I will on my next trip south.

uplander12ga

QuoteRingadingh - 2/12/2013  5:13 PM

Ive never tried Makers Mark as of yet. I think I will on my next trip south.

There are two versions. Makers Mark and Makers Mark 46. I prefer the later, very smooth. Pairs nicely with medium/full smokes, especially maduro's. :thumbsup:
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it, everything fades away, your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. ~Raul Julia

BlackIrish

I think it's BS.  Call me a cynic but

1.  of course they're going to say it doesn't affect the taste;
2.  note that they frame it in terms of keeping up with demand;
3.  price won't drop -- which means profits increase by 3%.

BTW, Jack Daniels did the same thing a few years ago, reducing abv from 43% to 40%.    

(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

uplander12ga

QuoteBlackIrish - 2/12/2013  5:23 PM

BTW, Jack Daniels did the same thing a few years ago, reducing abv from 43% to 40%.    

All true points Eddie. But damn, I do love the taste. Think I might pick up 4-5 bottles before the change over just in case haha!

Bob Cordell

Seems to me you run the risk of losing the same amount of loyal customers?

Less is more only with drummers and lead guitar players generally!
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Jackal

Its not like there aren't lots of other excellent bourbons out there.  I have no particular brand loyalty to Makers.  I find it to be a good whiskey, but so are Bulliet, Buck, Eagle Rare, Dickel, Even Williams Single Barrel, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Michters, and many others.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

uplander12ga

QuoteJackal - 2/12/2013  6:31 PM

Its not like there aren't lots of other excellent bourbons out there.  I have no particular brand loyalty to Makers.  I find it to be a good whiskey, but so are Bulliet, Buck, Eagle Rare, Dickel, Even Williams Single Barrel, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Michters, and many others.

Very true. MM46 has just always been my go to brand.

Smurf

orbis non sufficit

1sgjeffward

I think it should retain it's flavor. Might loose just a touch of it's bite but don't think that will make too big of a change.
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

Mautrak

In reality, it should taste different.   But thinking about this a bit further brings about two likely truths of their decision.

First, they get publicity.  And any publicity is good publicity.  Everyone is talking about the taste of the product.  That's good.

Second, by next week everyone will have forgotten, they'll have more product, and they'll make more money.  A month from now (or later) no one will buy the new product and even think about this topic.

So the end result is they get free publicity and make more money.  The product may taste different (ever so slightly), but it sure is looking like a smart business move.

akira

QuoteBlackIrish - 2/12/2013  2:23 PM

I think Jack did it twice because I remember it being 90 proof when I was in college.  I didn't have any for a while and then when I did a few years ago, I noticed the difference immediately and now it isn't even something I would consider buying.  

I have a feeling Maker's is going to be on that same path for me and I'll have to find another option.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

1029henry

Why do these companies do this? On a side note, Budweiser changed their label, for no apparent reason....why? I'll never buy it again, I be resistant to change!!!!!!
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

vw77guy

With a a company that size, when they say they've done the testing and you can't taste a difference, I believe them.  I'm sure the few cents they save with the change has already been eaten up for the year in research.  Sux, but could be worse.

cavenbk

So a while back I became an Ambassador for Maker's Mark. Which basically doesn't mean a whole lot other than I like the bourbon and I tell people about it, and I get my name on a plaque on a barrel of aging bourbon. But today I received an email saying that due to the high volume of letters and emails against the decision, Maker's will NOT be lowering their ABV. It will continue to be 90 proof. So Jason you have nothing to worry about! Hope this makes your day!
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

uplander12ga

Quotecavenbk - 2/17/2013  6:08 PM

So a while back I became an Ambassador for Maker's Mark. Which basically doesn't mean a whole lot other than I like the bourbon and I tell people about it, and I get my name on a plaque on a barrel of aging bourbon. But today I received an email saying that due to the high volume of letters and emails against the decision, Maker's will NOT be lowering their ABV. It will continue to be 90 proof. So Jason you have nothing to worry about! Hope this makes your day!

Excellent!!! :dancing: I hate to see any change in one of my favorite bourbons! Thanks for the info Bradley!!!

cavenbk

Any time. I would feel the same way if Jameson (irish whiskey) was doing that as well.

ThinBlueLine

Just stocked up on two more bottles...love the 46. Also just ordered online four bottles of Huckleberry vodka from 44degrees north. Excellent vodka with a unique taste. Can't find it local around here to buy so I had to resort to online. Anyone else try the huckleberry?
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

Mautrak

Quotecavenbk - 2/17/2013  3:08 PM

That is cool.  Not necessarily that they aren't changing the ABV, because it's no skin off my teeth, but that you're an ambassador for them and get your name on a plaque on a barrel.  Cool!

So do you get at least a free bottle from "your" barrel?

cavenbk

QuoteMautrak - 2/17/2013  7:10 PM  
Quotecavenbk - 2/17/2013  3:08 PM  So a while back I became an Ambassador for Maker's Mark. Which basically doesn't mean a whole lot other than I like the bourbon and I tell people about it, and I get my name on a plaque on a barrel of aging bourbon. But today I received an email saying that due to the high volume of letters and emails against the decision, Maker's will NOT be lowering their ABV. It will continue to be 90 proof. So Jason you have nothing to worry about! Hope this makes your day!
That is cool.  Not necessarily that they aren't changing the ABV, because it's no skin off my teeth, but that you're an ambassador for them and get your name on a plaque on a barrel.  Cool!  So do you get at least a free bottle from "your" barrel?

Unfortunately I do not get a free bottle from "my" barrel. But once itis ready to be bottled and sold I do get the option to purchase some from "my" barrel. The plaque actually has more than just my name on it. But I like to think of it as my barrel! Makes me feel better at know :biggrin:

uplander12ga

QuoteThinBlueLine - 2/17/2013  6:41 PM

Just stocked up on two more bottles...love the 46. Also just ordered online four bottles of Huckleberry vodka from 44degrees north. Excellent vodka with a unique taste. Can't find it local around here to buy so I had to resort to online. Anyone else try the huckleberry?

Well done sir on the 46! Haven't had the huckleberry myself, but sounds good.

metalhead y cigarguy

I was disappointed when I saw this news last Monday, but I was glad to hear today that they're not going to make any changes.  :dancing:
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

samreddevilz

I have never taken Makers Mark 46 till now. Sorry Boss! I can't help you in this respect. Hope I can support you in future.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.