Wolf V-cutter

Started by ab4ka, 02/13/2013 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab4ka

I've been wanting a Xikar V-cutter but haven't had the bucks to spare.  I was in a local store over the weekend and picked up a Wolf V-cutter.  I liked the design, and the price was right.  Other than the plastic body it looks just like the Xikar, including the blade.  So far it's working nicely.  I still want the Xikar just due to the feel of it, but if you run across the Wolf I'd suggest picking it up  :thumbsup:
a genuine cigar smoking bourbon drinking Florida cracker

DonM

Sounds like a good alternative to the Xikar. I picked up a Craftmans Bench V cut at the local ABC liquor chain here in FL on a whim for $3 and it works well as an on the go cutter, I keep it in my truck.

When you do get the Xikar, I assure you that you won't be disappointed

"The Curmudgeon"

nwb

Isn't the Wolf made by Xikar?  IIRC, they are the same cutter, but the wolf comes in a plastic body and the Xikar is aluminum.
Chief of Shaft

1sgjeffward

Quotenwb - 2/13/2013  11:55 AM

Isn't the Wolf made by Xikar?  IIRC, they are the same cutter, but the wolf comes in a plastic body and the Xikar is aluminum.

I think you may be right on that one.
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

Smurf

Wolf is a great alternative but nothing beats a Xikar, ( IMHO)  I find they stay sharper much longer, and flip it over you can rest your cigar on it if your out and about without an ashtray.
orbis non sufficit

1sgjeffward

QuoteSmurf - 2/13/2013  2:42 PM

Wolf is a great alternative but nothing beats a Xikar, ( IMHO)  I find they stay sharper much longer, and flip it over you can rest your cigar on it if your out and about without an ashtray.

With you on that! Other than the quality of the product itself, one of the things that makes me a loyal customer is they stand behind their products as good or better than any company I have ever seen :thumbsup:
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

Robert LG

Quote1sgjeffward - 2/13/2013  2:35 PM

I have both and they have identical blades and make identical cuts.  However, I dropped the Wolf and found why the Xikar is worth it.  The body of the Wolf came apart and I could never get it to stay together for any length of time using several types of glue.  The Xikar seems nearly indestructible.
Rob

nwb

QuoteRobert LG - 2/23/2013  3:08 AM

I have both and they have identical blades and make identical cuts.  However, I dropped the Wolf and found why the Xikar is worth it.  The body of the Wolf came apart and I could never get it to stay together for any length of time using several types of glue.  The Xikar seems nearly indestructible.

That is exactly why I have the Xikar.  I tend to drop my lighters, cutters, etc.  Another reason I don't spend a fortune on cigar accessories. :shamebag:
Chief of Shaft

Ken Kelley

Quotenwb - 2/25/2013  10:20 PM

QuoteRobert LG - 2/23/2013  3:08 AM

That is exactly why I have the Xikar.  I tend to drop my lighters, cutters, etc.  Another reason I don't spend a fortune on cigar accessories. :shamebag:

Maybe you should invest the money you saved in a new set of fingers!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

nwb

QuoteAlphairon - 2/25/2013  10:24 PM
Maybe you should invest the money you saved in a new set of fingers!  :biggrin:

I have a finger for you....
Chief of Shaft

calvarez

I have two Xikar V cutters and the Wolf.  They are the same blade, and I found the Wolf on Amazon during a search for Xikar, $18.  There is no question the metal Xikars are nicer to use but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Wolf's cut quality.

And in fact I have taken the Xikars apart, polished them, and made them much smoother; they aren't perfect either.  Then custom painted them and my Enigma lighter to match.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

Longhorn

Quotecalvarez - 3/11/2013  7:37 PM

I have two Xikar V cutters and the Wolf.  They are the same blade, and I found the Wolf on Amazon during a search for Xikar, $18.  There is no question the metal Xikars are nicer to use but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Wolf's cut quality.

And in fact I have taken the Xikars apart, polished them, and made them much smoother; they aren't perfect either.  Then custom painted them and my Enigma lighter to match.

Wow! That's cool... can you a post a picture?

calvarez

Here they are during part of the process.  I did the copper paint, and it has multi-color metal flake in the clearcoat, which you can't see in a photo or without bright lighting.  The black ones also have the metal flake coating over the stock Xikar flat black.

http://imgur.com/0jpC0Ge

I polished the metal sliding surfaces, removed a set of washers they use to allow for more tolerance, and put Kapton tape on the most critical sliding surfaces.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.