Full humidor, now I am having problems

Started by Aequitas86, 11/02/2008 09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aequitas86

So, my humidor is finally at full capacity. I can't fit one more stick to save my life. Now that its full, my humidity dropped all the way down to 58% and is holding. I checked my humidification device and even went as far to fill it again anyway. It seems to be sealing as it always has (when I had it holding at 70/70) so I don't think its that. Could it be because I have more sticks in it? Any other ideas?

I was thinking about unloading it and trying the seasoning process again to raise the total humidity, stabilizing it, then refilling with cigars. But I dunno.  :confused:
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

lowpro75

Were the most recent cigar you put in there on the dry side?  Sometime when I put new stock in the humidity dips for a day or so.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Aequitas86

It was from a pass. Didn't seem so. And this has been going on and such for about 5 days now.

podman28

Yes it could take some time with the new sticks added. I would give it a few days and check again. You also may have overloaded your humidification device. Make sure you don't have more sticks in there than it can handle.

Bob Cordell

Tell my girlfriend to come over, she'll fix that problem of your humidor to full. She'll shotput it down the hall....
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Duker511

Ive noticed that sometimes when I fill my humi to the limit, the humitity will drop, up to 10%. Try taking the top row out and see if the extra air flow helps. I think sometimes if there isnt enough air flow around the hygrometer they read low.
Tim

Aequitas86

That was my thought. So I guess its time for another humidor. Originally I got this small acid humidor (cbid for 5 bucks) to keep just acid and other infused cigars. But then started filling it up with others, just so I didnt have to borrow space from friends. I just got my allstate safe driving bonus....and I think a humidor would be a good reward. I will try removing a few. Time to really start smokin  :biggrin:

mike46

Why not go to a plastic bin-type humidor?  My 100-cigar wooden humidor is pretty much full and I keep the better smokes in there, then I use my bin for all the others.  I line it a bit with some of the cedar sheets from cigar wrappers and cigar boxes, etc.  Put in a humi pack and away you go.  Don't need it on display, keep it in the closet, the wooden one is out to look at and drool over. :shades:

SenorPablo

That could work fine.  Of course, the cedar is always a nice addition.  You could just go with a coolidor too if you want to take the leap.  :biggrin:
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

podman28

QuoteSenorPablo - 11/2/2008  8:54 PM

That could work fine.  Of course, the cedar is always a nice addition.  You could just go with a coolidor too if you want to take the leap.  :biggrin:

The leap to the coolidor is a big investment but fun because you have to fill it then. C-Bid here he comes. :biggrin:  :dancing:  :dancing:

JKG

I've had the same problem.  When the humidor gets full you're trying to humidify a lot more cigars and they absorb the moisture.  After a week or so it should settle in.  If it doesn't, you may need to add another humidifier, humi-pack, or the gel type humidifier in a jar.  

However, there is a fullproof, always works solution to your problem... Select five fellow forum members, remove 20 of your best cigars and send 4 to each of the five you selected.  :confused: So, what's the problem?

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.