So I bought a new humidor...

Started by Aequitas86, 11/07/2008 12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aequitas86

:dancing: And its awesome.  :dancing:

I finally have room again for more cigars. So I opened it up and noticed a very small nick in the finish. I am just gonna leave it, its not worth going through customer service. But Now I have several questions.

First volley refers to seasoning the humidor. The instructions say put a shot glass of water in it until the humidity rises. another article I read states you should dampen the cedar with some distilled water. What is the safest, best way to season this thing? Should I use water or a 50/50 cigar juice? I just want this thing to protect my sticks.  :confused:

Second revolve around the hygrometer. I have never used an analog hygrometer...what is the best way to adjust it? I have read many different ways and was wondering if there was a preferred method. I wanna use this one till I can afford a digital one.

I am excited and dont want to mess this up...
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

stogie_foggie

What works for me is to take a spray bottle filled with distilled water and a sponge.  Put the hygrometer in there but not the humidifier.  
Spray the inside of the humi so its wet but not soaking wet, if you get me.  Wipe down the whole humi with the slightly damp sponge.  Wet the sponge so it is wet but not soaking, put it in the humidor, suspending it above the bottom with say, popsicle sticks or something.  Close the humidor and don't open for 24 hours.  
After 24 hours, look at the humidity level.  It should be high, say 80%.  Spray the inside again, wipe down and this time don't leave the sponge in there.  Wait another 24 hours.  
Then put the humidifer and if it stays constant around 70%, you're golden.

I use the spray bottle so it doesn't get too wet.  I'm sure other people here have some ideas.
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

lowpro75

If you have the time/patience you should probably let it sit with the distilled water.  This is what is recommended by Steve Saka at cigar nexus.  Otherwise you can wipe it down with a sponge and then dry off any surface liquid.  I have always wiped mine down with a wet cloth, then let them sit with distilled water for 36 hours or so.  This has been effective for me.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

SenorPablo

Congrats on your new purchase.  I usually take a damp cloth and wipe down the insides with distilled water, let it sit for 24 hours, and then repeat again.  Sometimes I might do a 3rd time depending on how dry it is.  I keep the humidifier in the whole time.  I prefer beads or gel myself.  

I've given up on analog hygrometers.  I just haven't had much luck with them.  There is an article in the articles section about calibrating one.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=21

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

podman28

Congradulations. I wipe it down with distilled water but you may want to look into a Oasis. They work wonderfully and there are no worries.

Duker511

Do just like everyone says, wipe it down and wait. I second the beads suggestion, they are the cheapest, easy way to keep your humitity. Then as long as you keep them wet with distilled water, the hygometer reading doesnt matter as much. I havent used a hygrometer in my big humi for awhile now.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14

This site will answer all your questions about the beads, you can buy them there too!! :biggrin:
Tim

Bob Cordell

I think some people put way to stock in this 70 % RH. I try to keep my tabletop humidor somewhere between 62 and 70 RH, it stores about 25-35 cigars. Honestly, I cant tell much of a difference if its anywhere in that range.

I'll let it go for a few days and the RH may drop a few degrees but I cant tell any difference. That being said, I wouldnt want it to drop much below that...
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

lowpro75

Just make sure you don't overhumidify.  In my experience it is much harder to bring humidity down then up.  As I write from my blackberry away foe the weekend with my wife smoking a cigar on the deck in a slight mist at the nj shore, I realize just how much of a geek I am...
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

bloodclot

QuoteBob Cordell - 11/7/2008  7:47 PM

...some people put way to stock in this 70 % RH. I try to keep my tabletop humidor somewhere between 62 and 70 RH, it stores about 25-35 cigars. Honestly, I cant tell much of a difference if its anywhere in that range...

Ya know Bob, I totally agree.  I used to be a member of the 70/70 club and preached it.  Some time ago I experimented with lower humidity ranges and found my smokes more satisfying by storing them in the 64 to 66 range.

Twinky

I like the squirt down methoid, its quick and safe enough.
"Smoking cigars don't make you cool. Being cool makes you smoke cigars" -Me

shawneous

Timely thread! I too just bought a new one.

Where do I buy distilled water?

Second, I keep reading that you intially load up the humidifier with that chemical stuff and then only add distlled water. Well...the solution I bought says it's already premixed and to use only that solution and just keep filling up the bisquit with that stuff. Thoughts?

junglepete

The cheapest place to get distilled water by the gallon is in most supermarkets in the drinking water section or the pharmacy.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

bslatner

QuoteAequitas86 - 11/7/2008  1:52 PMThe instructions say put a shot glass of water in it until the humidity rises. another article I read states you should dampen the cedar with some distilled water. What is the safest, best way to season this thing? Should I use water or a 50/50 cigar juice?

The last time I got a new humidor, I decided to do it with Boveda seasoning packets (see http://www.boveda-direct.com/products/index.cfm and scroll down to the one that says '84% for seasoning humidor')

It worked REALLY well. Basically, you put in one packet, plus 1 packet for each 50 count of capacity you have (so if you have a 200 count humidor that 1 packet + 4 packets). Then you let them sit in there for a week (possibly 2, I forget) and you're done. It brings the humidity level up very gradually.

SenorPablo

Quoteshawneous - 11/8/2008  1:27 AM
Second, I keep reading that you intially load up the humidifier with that chemical stuff and then only add distlled water. Well...the solution I bought says it's already premixed and to use only that solution and just keep filling up the bisquit with that stuff. Thoughts?

I'm a skeptic of the manufacturers' claims to always recharge your humi with the solution.  The classic solution was always Propeylne Glycol and distilled water.  I didn't think the PG not supposed to evaporate, so why keep adding a solution that has more.  I'm sure they would love to keep selling it to you.  It is probably just that I don't understand it.   :confused:

In any case, ever since I tried the Beads i've been amazed at how well they work and how easy they are.  I've never looked back.  I only use distilled water with them.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Aequitas86

Thanks for all your help. I ended up venturing to my local cigar shop to talk with the guys. They talked me into the Boveda seasoning packets. I figured I have time and am patient enough to wait. So now they are sitting in my locked humidor waiting their 10 days to do the job.

As for the distilled water vs 50/50 question I got two great answers from the guys. First is that you should always use distilled water. No question. The other was to first use 50/50 then switch to water for a few fillings, then do another round of 50/50. The second seemed like way too much work. So I am going to be doing the former. I will eventually end up getting some beads and going that route....but for now I am going to stay on the cheaper side.

Thanks for all your input. I really didn't want to mess this one up. :bigthumbs:
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

shawneous

Thanks!

But doesnt PG have antifungal properties? That is, if I use pure distilled water, wont I be at a higher risk for mold?

Duker511

If you use the beads the humitity will NEVER get high enough to grow mold. Ive never had a problem with just distilled water, Ive heard too many people say the PG leaves a funky taste to cigars if not properly used. As for the price of the beads, I see heartfelt beads just increased their prices 5x , last year I paid $10 for two ounces in a case, now the same amount is $35, still well worth the price. Otherwise

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?screen=PROD&Store_code=ch&Product_code=BEADS&category_code=humidifiers

you can get them here for $16 for a half pound of loose beads. You have to remember, They NEVER go bad and you use only distilled water, they will save you money in the long run.

I swear to god if I could go back in time I would have saved so much time and money by just buying the beads. I have never heard one person wish they hadnt bought them. The only thing I ever hear is, "I love them", "I wish I would have bought them sooner", and "I will never use anything else". I know it sounds like I have some stake in the bead business, but I dont. I just like to make sure people understand how far above ANYTHING else the beads really are, they are fool proof. For the price of a couple cigars, you cant go wrong.
Tim

shawneous

After opening distilled water for use, should I throw away whatever I dont use at once? It seems bacteria could grow in a partially used bottle on the shelf.

bslatner

I've never had that problem. I'm still using the same 1-gallon jug of distilled water I bought 2 years ago.

Duker511

Ive had the same gallon for about a year an a half. I pour some in a plastic spray bottle and put the rest in a cool, dark place for storage. If you use a plastic spray bottle make sure its new and clean!!! If you ever get beads you'll need the spray bottle.
Tim

Sticks

I do a twenty percent vodka, eighty percent distilled water mix, right around there and I put it in a little tupperware cup and let it obsorb into the wood. I use a hydometer so that my humidity doesn't get out of hand. I just use it as a yard stick to see how well my humidor maintaining stability. I like right around 65 percent humidity for my sticks. Minnesota is a tough environment as you know and we get 90 percent humidity in the summer and probably 30 to 40 percent in the winter.  Have fun with that new humidor. I bet it won't be long before you are out of space.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.