Insurance...

Started by Aequitas86, 01/22/2009 12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aequitas86

Regarding cigar passes. How much do you guys insure the cigars for when sending out a pass via USPS? I have always highballed it a little...just wanted to see what you guys think the norm should be.

I usually ballpark it at 10 bucks a stick. :confused:
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

Duker511

Maybe Im supposed to but Ive never insured them. It does seem like a good idea though, there can be several hundred dollars in a pass. I am going to do this from now on. I think $10 a stick sounds good as a minimum.
Tim

junglepete

Isn't there an automatic insurance of $100 or so on all packages...there is here in Canada
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

lowpro75

I'm not sure if it is worth it.  At 2.15 for $100 in insurance I assume that less than 1% of packages get lost.  If I had a particular expensive box I might, but I think my cigar average more around 5 bucks a stick.  So at 5 a stick for 15 cigars that would be $75.  I don't think it is worth it.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Aequitas86

I dunno. If I remember correctly, when a pass was lost the insurance paid a solid portion. That being said, I think the post offices prices are fairly minimal until you reach the $500+ range. I dunno, I feel its a gamble to send it off with out. Just collecting other peoples opinions.

lowpro75

Have any passes here been lost?
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

junglepete

yes a pass was lost and the insurance covered it, but it was a real pain in the ass to get them to pay up.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Aequitas86

Tex's GOTO smokes pass was lost in its early stages.

stogie_foggie

Not lost, stolen.  I'm sure the USPS won't cover that!!   :mad:
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

qman22

I don't insure it because I didn't think the insurance covered tobacco.  Maybe I'm wrong?  :confused:
Lets GOOOOOOOO Mountaineers!

SenorPablo

I haven't actually ever insured one either.  I also thought they wouldn't cover tobacco, but if Pete got one paid out (and if memory serves, it was in NY) then maybe it is worth thinking about doing.  :confused:

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

junglepete

It was Scott (texlewee) that had sent the pass to me in New York. I never got it and the USPO eventually paid him. I can't remember if he had it insured or how much he paid to insure it.
Guru of Frugality

podman28

I had a pass stolen but that was another story. I generally ship with Fedex or DHL though and they have some automatic insurance but with the tracking it generally isn't a problem.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.