Longest 8 Person Pass Ever?

Started by lowpro75, 01/25/2009 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpro75

I originally sent out the Rate em pass at the end of November.  This is my first pass so I don't have much experience with how these things work in general.  It is now nearly 2 months later and it is still residing with the 7th (or 2nd to last person on the pass).  As of right now, if I take the day it was delivered to the first person in the pass to the current day it is an average of 7.86 days to transition from person to person.  This number will undoubtedly go up since the current person has now been holding for 8 days.  Factor in the assumption that there was some impact with the holidays(expected) and some members ran into some bad luck (unexpected).  At this point I figure I'll get the completion points sometime in February anyhow but I am wondering what is the expectation when it comes to turning around passes.  I think 3-4 days should be the average with some consideration given to unique circumstances.  

To be honest, a few weeks ago I was annoyed at the whole thing.  But since I realize it is a stupid thing to get annoyed about I'm much better now. :biggrin:   Anyone else who has more experience in passes have any expectations as to turn around times?  At what point is it an issue where you send a PM?  All advice is appreciated.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Aequitas86

I agree with the 3-4 days. Sometimes its hard to get to the post office to deal with the package. I had one day were I was gonna take a box to be sent out and I had a call at my fire dept. Then after that I headed back to the post office and had another call! So we cleared that and I went back to post office to once again get another call. It was a very unfortunate day. But it did go out that day.

Back to the main topic. I think it is more dictated by courtesy. I mean, I try to turn it around in one day. So many factors play into the turn around time; Cigars stored at a shop/club, getting the package on a saturday, work, family, emergencies, etc. It would be kinda hard to factor in an make it an exception. Plus how it is sent out can cause the length to increase....priority, parcel post, next day. I wouldnt mind seeing all packages go out priority mail. Its not too expensive and its a bit faster.

I wasn't part of your pass so I cant put too many specifics to it, but I understand it was frustrating. Maybe if its a concern you could make it part of the pass rules...or maybe we can agree on a new guidline of rules for every pass.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

junglepete

I understand your concern. It seems a 3-4 day turn around would be a good rule of thumb, and of course some crap happens that throws a wrench it, but sometimes it just takes longer because there is a difference in what people prioritise.

I have felt the same way with my current pass, and in the future, especially with a freebie or contest pass, I will be very specific about my expected turn around time, that way those who join will know what is expected from them beforehand.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

bslatner

Well, I take some blame for that. I woulda turned it around the day I got it except the box was pretty much destroyed, the packing material punctured, and three or four of the cigars shredded. I felt it necessary to fix all that before sending it on. And by the time I got it all ready...the damn post office was closed, yesterday. Gah.

Should be on it's way to Paul Monday morning.

bslatner

I'll post this on the pass thread as well.

A lot of the cigars seemed to be wrapped in bundles with something like Glade Cling Wrap. Apparently, given the right humidity, this wrap will also stick to cigars. Yikes!

As a result, we have a lot of cigars that are pretty much unsmokable. They are:

RF3
RF4
RF10

RF6 is questionable -- I'm taking that one. RF7 has seen better days, too.

TX3's wrapper is a little cracked, but seems smokable. I'm taking that one too.

Here's a picture of the damaged stuff:

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

lowpro75

I take the blame for not packaging better.   :mad:   If the RF3 is salvageable at all you should take it, it is a cuban partagas Series D.  :cry: From your picture it looks to be in the best shape of the 3 but you would know better if it is salvagable.   RF10 is a CI Partagas knockoff and RF4 is an El Mejor Emerald, both rather inexpensive sticks.  I apologize for the poor packing job, I have learned my lesson never to send out naked sticks.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

bslatner

Rf3 MIGHT be salvagable. I just took it off the top of the trash can after you said what it was. I ain't proud.

Also, I put cellophane on all the "naked" sticks I felt I could wrap w/o further damaging them. I also replaced the humidification pack.

BlackIrish

Quotelowpro75 - 1/25/2009  4:30 PM

If the RF3 is salvageable at all you should take it, it is a cuban partagas Series D.  :cry:

:cry:   :cry:   :cry:
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

BlackIrish

Quotelowpro75 - 1/25/2009  11:21 AM

I originally sent out the Rate em pass at the end of November.  This is my first pass so I don't have much experience with how these things work in general.  It is now nearly 2 months later and it is still residing with the 7th (or 2nd to last person on the pass).  As of right now, if I take the day it was delivered to the first person in the pass to the current day it is an average of 7.86 days to transition from person to person.  This number will undoubtedly go up since the current person has now been holding for 8 days.  Factor in the assumption that there was some impact with the holidays(expected) and some members ran into some bad luck (unexpected).  At this point I figure I'll get the completion points sometime in February anyhow but I am wondering what is the expectation when it comes to turning around passes.  I think 3-4 days should be the average with some consideration given to unique circumstances.  

To be honest, a few weeks ago I was annoyed at the whole thing.  But since I realize it is a stupid thing to get annoyed about I'm much better now. :biggrin:   Anyone else who has more experience in passes have any expectations as to turn around times?  At what point is it an issue where you send a PM?  All advice is appreciated.

I figure it takes 2-4 days in transit.  I try to turn the box the day after I receive it, but sometimes it comes when I'm traveling for work, sometimes it comes on a Friday and I don't get it out until Monday.  So 5 days is about the quickest it can be, I guess, when USPS time is taken into account.  And I have been involved in some passes where "maintenance" is required, to re-package the cigars in a better box.  

But I think your overall attitude is right:  the folks here who participate in passes are conscientious and try to turn things around quickly, but sometimes life can get in the way.  Not worrying about it is the best approach.  

Thanks again for a great pass.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

podman28

It takes a little time but also maybe a bit more over the holidays when things are especially hectic. I usually try to get a box out the next day or two after I get it.

SenorPablo

Yeah...most of these passes seem to go one for about 2.5 to 3 months.  They take awhile.  And with the holidays that surely slowed things down.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Twinky

I held it up for a while. But I think that you have to take in to consideration that it takes a few days to do takes and puts, then a few days to ship, so that can come down to about a week per person.
"Smoking cigars don't make you cool. Being cool makes you smoke cigars" -Me

lowpro75

Just to clarify when I talk about 3-4 day turnaround I'm referring to the time the box is in the person's possession.  If it arrives on Friday and it doesn't get mailed out until Sunday, that to me seems reasonable.  If it arrives on Monday through Thursday I would think it would go out in the next 2-3 days.  Nobody can control the mail so if that slows things down that is just the way it goes.  I figured a week per person when I sent it out perhaps a little longer with the holidays.  Right now we're at 8 weeks with 1 person to go, so it took a little longer than I figured.  To quote an often uttered meaningless phrase "It is what it is".  I have had fun with it and I hope you guys who participated did too.  I really don't intend to be a dick about this(though that is my name) so please don't take it that way.  I really appreciated you guys helping keep the cigars from getting ruined due to my poor packaging.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

lowpro75

Brian,
Hope you can save the cuban!
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.