Makin' coffee my dad's way ......

Started by mike46, 02/20/2009 07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

87North

I've made it this way too, but after brewing up the coffee, I've been known to pour it into a different pot while straining it through a cloth.   Generally I just make it in my drip maker at home though, but I keep a percolator in the cabinet for a back up and one in the tool box of my pickup along with my camp stove, so that I'm never unable to make coffee, no matter where I am.
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

ratboy

QuoteAlphairon - 4/17/2010  3:35 AM

QuoteBeegerply - 4/16/2010  11:02 PM

Quotevw77guy - 4/16/2010  9:21 PM

Sounds a little like the way I make coffee while out camping.  I agree that there's nothing like coffee made with a little elbow grease.

I've had your coffee and it did taste like elbow grease.  :lmao:  :lmao:

Elbow grease ain't bad compared to the coffee packets included in the MRE's I enjoyed when I was camping our for Uncle Sam.  The coffee came in little packets in the accessory kit.  Unfortunately, some accessory kits also had little packets of dehydrated ketchup.  Sometimes a person got them mixed up early in the morning.  Nasty!

My grandfather used the bare grounds method and his coffee was great.  I do it myself once in awhile just for fun.

MRE coffee is a foul concoction. I do love it though because it could kill the taste of some of the "meals"  I always got stuck with the Chicken Ala King MRE which ALWAYS has bones it. If I couldn't trade it away, well I knew the coffee would cover up the taste.  It made me want to puke slightly less than the meal. Could have been worse. They could have tried to give us that nasty ass chickory.

87North

I don't know...A good New Orleans style Cafe Au Lait (milk slightly scalded, not steamed) made from a good coffee/chicory blend is pretty damned hard to beat.   :dancing:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

Shukpaw

I'll have to try doing coffe this way.  As for the coffee in the MREs, there are things in my life I am just trying to forget.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

mobarbq

Quoteconsti - 8/12/2010 10:09 PM Isn't this similar to what they call cowboy coffee? My dad wasn't a big coffee man so he never really bothered with it.

I think it is similar, but cowboys usually had a large capacity porcelain/graniteware type pot. I just read a book on Cowboy Cooking and they talked about how sometimes greenhorns would get assigned to help out "cooky." at the chuckwagon.  The cook traditionally treated this hired hand as just a touch above pond scum to begin with.  The greenhorn would stupidly think he was doing something right hoping to gain favor with cooky and he'd go and clean out the coffee pot! invoking rage not only from cooky, but from all the cowboys as well!  One anecdote said the cook was chasing the greenhorn around with a club, intending to beat him for messing up the years of "seasoning" on the pot.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.