Hydrometer

Started by Blgove, 08/21/2013 11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blgove

So I bought this hydrometer from Xikar - one of the ones that you can't adjust.  It's supposed to be accurate to +/- 3% RH.  I decided to see how accurate it was, and stuck it into a baggie with the damp salt.  Left if for 12 hours and it registered 69%.  I pulled it out of the bag, and it was then I noticed a very thin piece of plastic wrap covering up all the holes - hadn't noticed that before :biggrin: I peeled it off and stuck it back into the calibration bag and it's reading 75% Imagine that.... :whistle:

Bruce G.
"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee hapiness, only the pursuit of it.  You have to catch up with it yourself"  

Benjamin Franklin

DonM

Sounds like after some playing with it you are in there!

"The Curmudgeon"

jeffk42

QuoteDonM - 8/21/2013  3:00 PM  Sounds like after some playing with it you are in there!

(thatswhatshesaid)

Ted

Quotejeffk42 - 8/21/2013  1:04 PM  

QuoteDonM - 8/21/2013  3:00 PM  Sounds like after some playing with it you are in there!

(thatswhatshesaid)

:lmao:

Jackal

By the way, it is hygrometer (with a g).  Hydrometers are used for measuring the density of liquids, such as when you want to check the alcohol content of the beer that you are brewing.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Blgove

QuoteTed - 8/21/2013  12:41 PM

Quotejeffk42 - 8/21/2013  1:04 PM  

(thatswhatshesaid)

"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee hapiness, only the pursuit of it.  You have to catch up with it yourself"  

Benjamin Franklin

Longhorn

QuoteJackal - 8/21/2013  3:46 PM

By the way, it is hygrometer (with a g).  Hydrometers are used for measuring the density of liquids, such as when you want to check the alcohol content of the beer that you are brewing.

That's why it had a plastic seal - to keep the water out of the hy"d"rometer!    :-0  :biggrin:

Cigary

QuoteJackal - 8/21/2013  3:46 PM  By the way, it is hygrometer (with a g).  Hydrometers are used for measuring the density of liquids, such as when you want to check the alcohol content of the beer that you are brewing.

I was about to say this but glad you said it first....wish I had a nickel for every time somebody called it by that name..must be the OCD in me.

Cfickter

Easy to do. Sort of like "congratulations". Every June when people put up signs for their kids my wife goes ballistic when the use congra"d"ulations!  
But I am not one to judge. I am the poster child for spell check
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

ntanner

I prefer a refractometer to a hydrometer for testing gravity on the brew. Easier to get a accurate reading.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Brlesq

Quotentanner - 8/21/2013  9:43 PM

I prefer a refractometer to a hydrometer for testing gravity on the brew. Easier to get a accurate reading.

I prefer to use my mouth to taste both the cigars and the beers. :smoker:  :beer:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Longhorn

QuoteBrlesq - 8/21/2013  9:51 PM

I prefer to use my mouth to taste both the cigars and the beers. :smoker:  :beer:

:lmao:  It's Briesqomouthometer!

1029henry

QuoteCigary - 8/21/2013  3:22 PM

QuoteJackal - 8/21/2013  3:46 PM  By the way, it is hygrometer (with a g).  Hydrometers are used for measuring the density of liquids, such as when you want to check the alcohol content of the beer that you are brewing.

I was about to say this but glad you said it first....wish I had a nickel for every time somebody called it by that name..must be the OCD in me.

Agreed. And for the final time....it's "Palate", not palette, pallette, pallet, etc. ............
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

Blgove

Yeah we'll fine then. I meant hygrometer :biggrin:   You'd think, as owner of an environmental lab, I wouldn't make that mistake. At any rate, the freekin thing was defective!

Benjamin Franklin

Rbrushaber

Heck I just prefer a glass and a good cigar to test out the beer I buy... :beer:
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Rbrushaber

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and courage of free me and women.  It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have."  Ronald Reagan
This quote is as true today as it was when I first heard it in the 1980s and joined the USAF...

ntanner

QuoteLonghorn - 8/21/2013  7:59 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 8/21/2013  9:51 PM

:lmao:  It's Briesqomouthometer!
Got to add that to his Guru Title. :lmao:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.