Cigar Reviews!

Started by 1sgjeffward, 09/13/2013 09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1sgjeffward

As everyone knows after the great people here the DB, Reviews and VH is what makes this site pop! Was just looking and noticed that there are currently 24200 Cigar Reviews in the DB.

What I'm proposing is that we as the members try and hit 25000 by the end of the month! I know that may seem like a lot but the core group of 20-30 Geeks that's really only 40-27 each and that's with NO help from any of the NEWBS which I'm sure we can count on.

NEWBS don't be scared to write your reviews! None of us are going to call you out of start going over your review to grade it so jump on in!

I myself plan to shoot for at least 40 reviews this month. Come on guys I think we can do this  :dancing:
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

nirab

I have quite a few reviews to do, so Jeff, I accept your challenge!  :biggrin: And I will start with the Partagas Lusitanias that I smoked tonight! Wonder who I got this one from?! :biggrin:  :shy:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

StogieDad

Challenge accepted, I've done about 40 since I've been here, ill ramp em up!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

c.petree.1

Reviews are like homework, blah. I will try so we can reach that goal!

Rbrushaber

I'll try...will add one this morning...before the game I am planning on stopping at a B&M and the. Next week my wife and our friends are going on a cigar B&M, micro brewery, and winery tour so I should get some new stuff...
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Rbrushaber

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and courage of free me and women.  It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have."  Ronald Reagan
This quote is as true today as it was when I first heard it in the 1980s and joined the USAF...

Joelala

I will write some, I do not smoke 40 sticks in a month :) but I will try to get some written
Joe

1sgjeffward

QuoteJoelala - 9/14/2013  9:48 AM

I will write some, I do not smoke 40 sticks in a month :) but I will try to get some written

Well see there is your problem right there you're not smoking enough  :biggrin:
Jeff

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

kxthor911

Normally, just about ever new cigar that I have I write a review. I'm like Joelala though...I only smoke a few cigars a month.
Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

Vroomp

Sorry Jeff, I've been slacking off lately. I will step it up again......... :biggrin:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

1sgjeffward

QuoteVroomp - 9/14/2013  2:29 PM

Sorry Jeff, I've been slacking off lately. I will step it up again......... :biggrin:

Ya you're one of those reviewing machines!

Have just noticed I'm the 1st or 2nd review on a whole bunch of the cigars I've smoke lately :?:
Jeff

? André Gide

Newbhunter

I'd like to get in in this but problem is I can't write a decent review. All I know about a cigar is wether I like it or not, so I don't want to inundate the review with such a paltry excuse for a review. Is there some sort of template I can use to evaluate em better? I'm no expert or commonwhore, euh um I mean connoisseur, so some sort of starting block would be rather useful...

Vroomp

QuoteNewbhunter - 9/14/2013  10:36 PM  I'd like to get in in this but problem is I can't write a decent review. All I know about a cigar is wether I like it or not, so I don't want to inundate the review with such a paltry excuse for a review. Is there some sort of template I can use to evaluate em better? I'm no expert or commonwhore, euh um I mean connoisseur, so some sort of starting block would be rather useful...

You can always go by the critique template:  click here to download a PDF form

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

1sgjeffward

QuoteNewbhunter - 9/14/2013  8:36 PM

I'd like to get in in this but problem is I can't write a decent review. All I know about a cigar is wether I like it or not, so I don't want to inundate the review with such a paltry excuse for a review. Is there some sort of template I can use to evaluate em better? I'm no expert or commonwhore, euh um I mean connoisseur, so some sort of starting block would be rather useful...

Brad's suggestion is a good one. Here is a link to a common flavor wheel and explanation of the flavors: http://www.cigarinspector.com/cigars-101/cigar-flavor-components

There is no bad review as long as you give some basic info. Example: hit construction, how it burned, how did it hold up while you smoked it, smoke production and smell, flavors you did notice (harsh, sweet, rich tobacco) and your overall opinion of the smoke.
Jeff

? André Gide

1sgjeffward

And just to show I'm not putting this off on my fellow geeks I have picked up the pace as well! Have posted 6 reviews since this thread started and 8 total for the month. Have several that are paper notes I'm going to transfer and finding that it helps to open a review window and take notes in it while smoking the cigar.
Jeff

? André Gide

bmac7754

Great Idea Jeff.  I've been slacking, but will try to get done what I can.  ive got a few notes on some ive smoked just not put it all together just yet
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Rbrushaber

QuoteNewbhunter - 9/14/2013  10:36 PM

Just go for it and tell us how you liked or did not like the cigar and the reasons why you liked or did not like...it is about how you experance it...I find I like reading through them just to get a little intel on the stick before I buy...if I find a stick that no one on here likes I steer clear, mixed results I look at those who have similar palettes and if all say it was great I go for it!

Fear not...I don't think anyone here is
Going to bust your balls if your not a paid reviewer for a magazine...have fin with it
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Rbrushaber

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and courage of free me and women.  It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have."  Ronald Reagan
This quote is as true today as it was when I first heard it in the 1980s and joined the USAF...

StogieDad

Got 16 for September.  Just two since the post, with a few more to finish.  Plus I gotta smoke one tonight, right!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

ljlemer

I've already reviewed 1424 cigars. I'm running out of prospects. I have two lined up but I have to choose between my lovelife and smoking. If I smell like cigars I get no nookie. You can already calculate how much booga-booga I've sacrificed in the last six years at CG. Then again, 1424 smokes is pretty heavenly. Choices, choices! If it's not too late, marry a cigar-smoking lady!
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

1sgjeffward

Have been looking back at my reviews and it has made me think of a question for you guys!

Noticed on my reviews that I do a GREAT job of reviewing the great cigars I smoke. But I SUCK at reviewing the bad or so so ones! Never really paid attention but does anyone else catch themselves doing the same thing?
Jeff

? André Gide

bmac7754

Yes i do.  It seems the better you are liking a cigar I seem to be more excited about describing it.  The not so good ones become kinda short and to the point.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

The Burn Ward

Tacked on my first public review. The Tatuaje Mini Mum.

1sgjeffward

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 9/17/2013  8:49 PM

Tacked on my first public review. The Tatuaje Mini Mum.

Congrats brother! Contributing members is one of the things that make this site so great :thumbsup:
Jeff

? André Gide

DonM

Quoteljlemer - 9/16/2013  4:21 PM

I've already reviewed 1424 cigars. I'm running out of prospects. I have two lined up but I have to choose between my lovelife and smoking. If I smell like cigars I get no nookie. You can already calculate how much booga-booga I've sacrificed in the last six years at CG. Then again, 1424 smokes is pretty heavenly. Choices, choices! If it's not too late, marry a cigar-smoking lady!

:lmao: C'mon man!  The lack of booga-booga is a PP or Personal Problem, not a sacrifice, Larry!  You have 39876 cigars listed in the database and you have only done 1424 reviews?    You have 38452 cigars to pick from, get busy!  

Just busting your balls, yea i think you have done your share fore sure!

"The Curmudgeon"

nwb

After 600+ reviews, it became too much like work, and it was affecting my enjoyment of the cigars.  Add to that the fact that I've only smoked 4 cigars this month, and it doesn't look like I'll be much help.

Still, I like your idea, and I hope we hit the goal! :thumbsup:
Chief of Shaft

Ntxsage

Quote1sgjeffward - 9/17/2013  7:16 PM

Have been looking back at my reviews and it has made me think of a question for you guys!

Noticed on my reviews that I do a GREAT job of reviewing the great cigars I smoke. But I SUCK at reviewing the bad or so so ones! Never really paid attention but does anyone else catch themselves doing the same thing?

I've gotten to the point I don't even review the mediocre to bad cigars. I agree would be great to have more entries on bad to avg sticks so  people steer clear or know what they're getting...but these days I dont even wanna finish anything under 3.5 stars. I'd be finishing it just for the review.   Maybe I can do partial reviews of whatever portion I made it through.
Did you know Stuart Scott almost made the Scripps National Spelling Bee as a child? Then the judges asked for skiing, but he only had one I. - acr

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.