Cigar Geek Reviews (realistic reviews)

Started by DonM, 05/03/2009 07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texlewee

It's hard for me not to consider price in the equation.    I love the Graycliff original, and, if it were 2 to 5 a stick, would be a smoke I would smoke every day.  But, in the mid teens price wise, there are others I like better at that price point. The Graycliff Espresso line is one for sure.    

Sure, it's all relative, but with the limitations of a simple one category 5 star rating, I do my best.

Here is some relative thought on the subject:

Vegas De Fonseca that I rated a 5. -    Wow, what a smoke. I would recommend anyone try it.  Awesome all the way around.

Now, if it were 20 bucks instead of sub-$5 would I feel the same way?  I have no idea. Because it's not.  Maybe I would have tended to be more hyper critical if it were. But as it were, the WHOLE package, including price, taste and everything, rated a 5, at least to me.

Graycliff Double Espresso:  Much more expensive, but worth every dime. BUT, if it were a $50.00, would I still rate it a 5?  I don't know.  I would be scared to light it.

Opus X that I rated a 4.5:  I loved everything about it, but it tarred up in the beginning requiring a second cut. At the PRICE, that bummed me out.  An Opus X should be perfect. If I smoke a couple more, and get perfect results, I'll change my score.

I think we all rate things differently.  Perhaps if we had a profile entry that discusses out specific rating criteria.
" The only thing better than a good cigar is ANOTHER good cigar. "

" What a pleasant stain comes from an enemy's blood.  "

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=texlewee

mountedshriner

QuoteDuker511 - 5/4/2009  8:21 AM

My thought is this, I dont care how much the cigar cost, I dont care what other smokers think of it, and I dont care what the marketers want us to think about it. If a cigar meets all the criteria, its gets the 5!!! I dont care if its a $1 bundle cigar, if it is well rolled, has a good draw, a good burn, and most of all tastes great too me.....it gets a 5.

Ive read reviews from many different sorces and in my opinion, this site has the MOST realistic reviewers out there!  :biggrin:

I agree w/Duker. I pay no attention to the price of the cigar. That may be an oversight on my part but I don't feel price should be reflected in the review (personal opinion only). BTW, this has turned out to ba an extremely enjoyable as well as an edcation thread for me. Thanks guys and thanks Don. :respekt:

Dennis
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

markinde

I think that we can debate this topic forever if we really wanted to.  But obviously a persons review and the amount of stars they give a cigar is based on their own tastes and judgements.
This is the way it is and will always be. It should be that way.
However, I will say that I can understand what Don is talking about, or at least what I am interpreting him to be saying.   Without saying any names, I have noticed that some reviewers seem to hand out more 5 stars or 4.5 and then a few 1.5 or 2, and nothing in between.
But as everything is subjective, it is the reviewer that makes the decision and picks the ratings.
"Women are most like fine cigars...The good ones leave you wanting to have another. But unfortunately most women get jealous when you have another right after them." - Mark L.
"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=markinde

nukbucko

Are we all going to change the way we rate cigars now? I hope not. I would try any cigar that you guys would rate highly. and sometime I admit when i want to try something new I do look at the reviews. I am more likely to buy a 5 star then anything else (if i can find Them). I trust your guys opinion ( well most of you  :lmao: J/k )
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

Christopher62

I'm not changing my review technique... I will continue to suckle at the teat of my mistress tobacco, enjoy the sweet nectar of the leaf, and drone on too long.

Good day sirs!

~Christopher

mountedshriner

QuoteChristopher62 - 5/4/2009  1:21 PM

I'm not changing my review technique... I will continue to suckle at the teat of my mistress tobacco, enjoy the sweet nectar of the leaf, and drone on too long.

Good day sirs!

As it should be my friend. Did I ever tell you how much I love the suckling part? Just thought I would mention it... :shades:

Dennis
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

BlackIrish

Quotemountedshriner - 5/4/2009  3:28 PM

My thought is this, I dont care how much the cigar cost, I dont care what other smokers think of it, and I dont care what the marketers want us to think about it. If a cigar meets all the criteria, its gets the 5!!! I dont care if its a $1 bundle cigar, if it is well rolled, has a good draw, a good burn, and most of all tastes great too me.....it gets a 5.

Ive read reviews from many different sorces and in my opinion, this site has the MOST realistic reviewers out there!  :biggrin:

I agree w/Duker. I pay no attention to the price of the cigar. That may be an oversight on my part but I don't feel price should be reflected in the review (personal opinion only). BTW, this has turned out to ba an extremely enjoyable as well as an edcation thread for me. Thanks guys and thanks Don. :respekt:

Dennis

I hear you, Dennis and Tim.   Problem is that I can't help but consider the price of the cigar.  I DO NOT consider ratings, marketing, etc., but my overall impressions of a cigar are necessarily shaped by the price.  In fact, in my reviews I'll try to answer the question "Would I buy this cigar again?"  To answer that question I need to consider the price.

This isn't to say that my approach is better than anyone else's -- not at all.  But I think I should be honest and spell it out clearly.  

I agree that a great cigar should get a 5 regardless of whether it's a bundled value smoke or a super-premium.  The tougher question, for me, is what if it's NOT a great cigar?  I know that when I rate a value smoke, I'm likely to be more forgiving of a little wobble in the burn than I would be if I were smoking a God of Fire.  For the value smoke, I'd probably say something like "The burn was a bit uneven, I needed to give it one touch up, but nothing that interfered with my enjoyment of the cigar."  If it was a God of Fire or some other super-expensive premium, I'd probably say something like "The burn was a little uneven, and I even needed to give it a touch up at one point, which is a bit disappointing for a cigar in this price range."  

Again, this is just my approach and I'm not trying to tell anyone that they should do it this way.  I'm just describing my mindset, so you can read my reviews and know where I'm coming from.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

lowpro75

I'm with Eddie in that I (watch for the double negative) can't not consider the price as I am reviewing a cigar.  I just expect more from an expensive smoke, and if I don't get it I will judge harshly and if it meets the minimum expectations, then it would rank merely average.  I personally like the blind tastings just for this reason, I think it puts all cigars on an even playing field.  You may disagree with me, but I have seen study after study that suggests that even though people don't think they are influenced by advertising or name brand, they are.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

texlewee

I almost wish there was a rating separately for 3 categories.  YOu know, the main ones.....

COnsturction. taste, value......

podman28

When I review I do take the price of the cigar into consideration for value purposes but usually will say when I am giving some value points. Otherwise the cigar is what it is. I pay more attention to what people say than how many stars it gets and if it is something I really want to try, then I will reguardless of the ratings here because in the end everything is subjective. Each has their own palate which is why there are so many different types of cigars. I think the saying is one man's trash is another man's treasure. :shades:

junglepete

My review methodology will remain intact.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

texlewee

I'm with Pete....

WHile I appreciate everyone's opinion and method of rating, mine is what it is.....   And shall remain so.

The good thing about it is, if you read enough of my reviews, you'll probably get a pretty good idea of my POV.

mhuss

When I review a cigar, I take into account all factors.  I think of how burned, how it tasted, how it smelled, how it felt and how it made me feel.  Sometimes I do take into account how much I paid for it.  If I paid double-figures for it ($10 and above), there is an expectation factor involved.  If a cigar is priced that high, that means that someone, somewhere, thinks this cigar is worth that much.  That tells me that this cigar should be pretty-well above-average.  If it is, then I'll rate it accordingly with a high rating.  If it, in my opinion, falls short of those expectations, then I'll knock a half-star, or even a full star, from its score.  I feel that the cigar didn't meet its value and was a disappointment.  On the other side of the coin, if I paid $2 or $3 for a stick and it blows my friggin mind, then I'll bump up the score a half-star, or even a full star, due to its delivery on value.  With that being said, I rarely run into that situation, because I spend an average amount on a per-cigar basis.  I don't purchase a lot of $2-$3 sticks, nor do I spend $15-$20 on a lot either.  I feel that I am honest and up front with my opinions and what kind of score I award a cigar.  I usually base my ratings and reviews on the basic factors of the smoke:  construction, aroma, flavor, strength, draw, burn, etc.  I think that most of members of this site do, too.  I haven't read too many 'unrealistic' reviews, EVER, on this site.  I think just about all of us are completely honest and upfront with our reviews.

lowpro75

The five star rating for  the Moonshine Crooks Rum highlights the real point of this thread, doesn't it?  Oh well, to each his own.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

texlewee

texlewee

I went and read the review.   And it is a perfect example of how arbitrary the simple 5 star rating can be.

Twinky was very specific in his review.

For a cigar that cost 69 cents, this cigar was perfect for him.

stogie_foggie

I agree with most people here.  I think a review should encompass the whole experience- construction, the burn, draw, smoke production, unique tates, complexity, etc.  For that reason, I think that a 5 star rating is very hard to come by.  Everything must be just right.  I've probably only given out a handful of 5 star reviews and they deserved it.

That being said, reviews also are influenced by external factors, such as cost or poor aging and storing.  I've given a $$$ cigar a lower rating, if it was lacking something more than a $1 cigar with the same issues.

I think the best thing about this site is that we all know each other and who has similar tastes.  For example, Podman and I have similar tastes and when he gives a high or low review, I know I would feel the same.  Plus, he has deep pockets and tries cigars I would only dream of!!!   :biggrin:  :biggrin:
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

podman28

I also take into account the reviewer as well as the review. After reading a few reviews you can start to learn about individual tastes so it helps.

As for the the cigars I get...I am very fortunate to be amongst a group of cigar aficionados that are very generous with cigars as well as information. It is very common here for cigars to be traded or just gifted as well as any information about where to get something you might want. A couple of the guys have collections that make mine look like VW bug in a group of Hummers. Anyway the side job at the shop learning takes care of my cigar habit and the discounts aren't bad either. :shy:

gitfiddl

An important thing to remember are the differing levels of experience of the reviewers.  My palate is nowhere near as sophisticated or experienced as many of you, and my humidor holds cigars some of you would probably never consider buying (likewise, I'm sure some have what amounts to my 17 year old's orthodontist bill wrapped up in theirs).  I just try to review honestly.  I don't think anyone would intentionally try to mislead anyone.

Also, it's not out of the realm of possibility that differences in multiple reviews of the same cigar are caused by "real" differences in the cigars.  There's always potential for a dud.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

stogie_foggie

I found this quote that I believe is pretty apropo:

"No one can tell me what is a good cigar - for me. I am the only judge. People who claim to know say that I smoke the worst cigars in the world. They bring their own cigars when they come to my house." - Mark Twain
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

gitfiddl

Quotestogie_foggie - 5/11/2009  4:47 PM

I found this quote that I believe is pretty apropo:

"No one can tell me what is a good cigar - for me. I am the only judge. People who claim to know say that I smoke the worst cigars in the world. They bring their own cigars when they come to my house." - Mark Twain

Well said!  And that's the end of discussion as far as I'm concerned. :shades:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

DonM

I thought we had worn this thread out, but I guess not.  As for the Mark Twain quote: Awesome!  Maybe we need a Mark Twain Rating

"The Curmudgeon"

Bob Cordell

My head is going to explode over this thread...

Lighten up! Its a damn cigar and thats all, just a cigar!

:biggrin:
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

markinde

This horse has been beaten so hard the legs have come off.
"Women are most like fine cigars...The good ones leave you wanting to have another. But unfortunately most women get jealous when you have another right after them." - Mark L.
"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=markinde

mhuss

Yeah, I agree.  I think we've beaten the hell out of this topic.  The bottom line is that quote from Mr. Twain.  No one has the right to tell anyone else that their review and/or rating of a cigar isn't realistic.  If that person liked that stick, they liked it and rated it accordingly.  Maybe if that person decided to give that cigar a try, they would find out for themselves.  It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.