Palio Cutter On The Cheap.

Started by wlfwalleye, 11/12/2013 06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwb

QuoteFNA - 12/10/2013  11:21 AM

If some people want to believe that one needs to spend $20 on a cigar cutter, they can believe it.  But I will speak up if someone broadcasts that cheap cutters don't work just fine.  Double edge guillotines are easily available at 2 for $1.  Pop the cap right off, no bits no splits.  Spend the left over $20 on cigars.

I'm still waiting for the instructional video.  I'm helpless without you, Frank.
Chief of Shaft

DonM

Quotenwb - 12/9/2013  11:25 AM

QuoteFNA - 12/9/2013  11:19 AM

I use .50 cutters all the time and if you think they can't make a quick, clean, straight cut, you're doing it wrong.

I've had the same .50 cutter in my pocket for at least six months.  I use that one twice a day, morning and evening, so that's hundreds of cuts already.  Worked just fine this morning, will work just fine tonight.  It will work just fine until it doesn't and then I'll pull another one since over the years I have invested in almost a dozen ($5 worth).  Just can't turn 'em down at 2 for a dollar.

Sure a Palio cuts straight and clean - but not straighter or cleaner than the cutter in my pocket or the downstairs scissors (a free premium 5 or 6 years ago) or the upstairs scissors ($6).  Maybe it's practice, I do smoke and therefore cut more cigars than most.

Sounds like you are sitting on a gold mine.  Might want to invest in those bad boys - buy a bunch, sell them for $1.00, and make out like a bandit.  You can include an instructional video with each since we all don't know what the hell we are doing.

:lmao:

Hey, I like my Palio and its the most used, followed by a Xikar V cut.  I have nothing bad to say about inexpensive cutters, I simply don't use them :biggrin:  

"The Curmudgeon"

The Burn Ward

QuoteKen Kelley - 12/10/2013  3:22 PM
There is NO SUCH THING as off topic here on the Geeks!  :biggrin: Everything we choose to say is on-topic no matter where the discussion leads! Part of the fun here is following the convoluted illogic of where some of these posts take us!  :biggrin:

I was thinking "off topic" because I don't have a Palio. :-(  Thanks for the info. I love watching where some of these threads en up.

Hot Stuff x

No need for any panties to get wadded.  As with cigars, everybody has different preferences.  Some prefer to work with quality, precision tools, others prefer cheap but functional.   There are merits to either approach, it's not "right" versus "wrong".   It's good to have a cheapo cutter available as a backup.  I usually end up giving the cheap (freebie) cutters away to novice cigar guys who don't have any equipment and are just getting started in the hobby.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

theque

So far the best cutter I have is the cheap one the cigar shop gave me for free. I used there Xikar 2-3 times and had a bad cut each time where the tip split and made the smoking experience not so good, maybe it is dull because it is a shop cutter. I also own the CC cheater cutter and it does cut to the perfect depth but does not cut a clean cut, always leaves a ridge in the middle that bugs me. I have not tried the Palio but would be willing to if it really is better.
-Ray

You can tell me how to cut, light, smoke or hold my cigar when you let me tell you how to hold your c%*$.

Humidor shared with girl in pigtails ( http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=theque&set=curr )

gitfiddl

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

nwb

Quotegitfiddl - 6/10/2014  7:34 AM

They're back in stock.  http://www.gothamcigars.com/cao-palio-cutter.html

We were just talking about these last night.  Thanks for the heads up - if I didn't already have one, I'd be all over this.

Of course, I'm waiting on FNA to show up and tell us we are dumb for paying that much for a cutter.
Chief of Shaft

BewareDaPenguin

Quotenwb - 6/10/2014  7:14 AM

Quotegitfiddl - 6/10/2014  7:34 AM

They're back in stock.  http://www.gothamcigars.com/cao-palio-cutter.html

We were just talking about these last night.  Thanks for the heads up - if I didn't already have one, I'd be all over this.

Of course, I'm waiting on FNA to show up and tell us we are dumb for paying that much for a cutter.

Ok ok I broke down and ordered them  :-0  thanks for posting
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

lubrix

FNA has not been around for awhile.....Wonder if Ken had something to do with that after giving him a feedback rating?????.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

nwb

Quotelubrix - 6/10/2014  8:52 AM
FNA has not been around for awhile.....Wonder if Ken had something to do with that after giving him a feedback rating?????.

:lmao:

Actually forgot about that.
Chief of Shaft

lubrix

I think Ken might have made him cry!!!!.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

PETE314

I don't have A Palio...But my Xikar ultra-thin with the carbon fiber...(They have 2 ultra thins...this is the one that looks more like your regular cutters out there....looks like their X8 cutter)  And I can attest that the cheaper cutters DO NOT cut anywhere NEAR as cleanly and as easily as my Xikar.  And I am a big fan of the Cuban Crafters and have several.So I use, and have used, many ranges in cutter costs.    

Can I get a good clean cut from the cheapies....sure.  But not with the consistency, and most importantly, the ease of the Xikar.  And you know what...I don't want to hope for, or work the cutter to get the best cut. Some people try to make sure (with the pressure they  use to cut) that they hold the blades as close together as possible...or manipulate the cuter in some way to get that good cut......I don't want to do that, and I don't want to keep having to go and buy a new cutter all the time (because the cheap one went dull before it's time) regardless of cost. I just want to make my cut and light the cigar....

FOR ME....it was some of the best money I have ever spent in this hobby.....and frankly THAT is the most important thing.  If you aren't satisfied with the money you spent, if in the end you don't think it is worth it........then it was a bad buy....But for many (like me)...it is good money spent.  And I get upset when I forget to put it into my pocket on the way to Cigar Nite at the Club because I have to use another cutter...LOL  

I would LOVE to get and try a Palio.  If I wasn't on a complete spending freeze for the next couple of months, I would be jumping on this as it is definitely the best price I have seen...even against CBid....you have to get really lucky to get the Palio in the $20- $30 range....

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

BewareDaPenguin

Total was like $28 after priority shipping so a really good deal, thanks again looking forward to trying these out :smoker:

BewareDaPenguin

Got my CAO Palio in the mail today...will give it a test run this weekend...thanks again! :thumbsup:

05Venturer

Thanks for the reminder Dave (gitfiddl)
This is a great read

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

gitfiddl

Quote05Venturer - 5/6/2018  8:29 AM

Thanks for the reminder Dave (gitfiddl)
This is a great read

You're quite welcome!
 :biggrin:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.