New Guy Looking for Some Help

Started by 05Venturer, 12/19/2013 09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

I am starting to enjoy a cigar once in a while and would like some advise on what would be a good everyday stick at a reasonably inexpensive price.

I have smoked a couple Nica Roma cigars that I got I a goody bag from an online vendor and found them very much to my liking. One was a Habano the other Connecticut.
I have had a few others but was never smart enough to save the band on the ones I liked for reference.
 I am a real "newbie" to cigars so any and all help is appreciated.   :smoker2:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cfickter

Always a great question and always open to personal preferences. I like the Punch Rare Corojo and the La Gloria Serie R. Both can be had for about $5 per stick in certain sizes. Also checkout the online deals. It may redefine your definition of reasonable. I love the 601 La Bomba and can get the Napalm for around 3.50 a stick on cigarbid.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

StogieDad

I would just snap up some good deals on the websites to try a bunch of stuff and see what you like.  The ratings and reviews on here are awesome, so if you see a good deal, check what the fellow geeks on here think, may give you a good idea of if it is just them trying to push a crap cigar or it is really a deal on a good smoke.  Nice, honest reviews on here.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Vroomp

Not so sure someone new to cigars is gonna wanna jump right onto a 601 La Bomba or Napalm any time soon Chuck. :biggrin:

I would suggest looking into samplers with Connecticut Wrappers or other mild to medium cigar samplers first........ :smoker:

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

StogieDad

QuoteVroomp - 12/19/2013  12:55 PM

Not so sure someone new to cigars is gonna wanna jump right onto a 601 La Bomba or Napalm any time soon Chuck. :biggrin: QUOTE]

:biggrin:  :smoker:  :barfonyou:

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

The Burn Ward

La Gloria Serie R, Fuente Gran Reserva in your preference of wrapper and vitola, Fuente Rosado, La Gloria Wavell, Tatuaje Seleccion de Cazador (Brown Label), My Father, Nat Sherman Timeless, Don Pepin Garcia Blue, Camacho Corojo, Joya de Nicaragua Antano, and Liga Privada No.9. Just a basis for possible daily smokes that can be found for reasonable prices also most people can agree they'd be happy to smoke any of the above listed. Enjoy and welcome!

Cfickter

QuoteVroomp - 12/19/2013  12:55 PM  

Not so sure someone new to cigars is gonna wanna jump right onto a 601 La Bomba or Napalm any time soon Chuck. :biggrin:

I would suggest looking into samplers with Connecticut Wrappers or other mild to medium cigar samplers first........ :smoker:

Brad, I agree, probably not a cigar for those just getting into cigars, but they grow up so quickly!

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

MT21

QuoteVroomp - 12/19/2013  9:55 AM

^^^^^^^ :thumbsup:
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

Longhorn

Kent, I would second the suggestion to try sampler packs - you can find them at very reasonable prices on most e-tail sites.  That way you can try lots of different cigars and then buy 5'ers or boxes of ones you like.

17leaves

Quorum maybe? They're fairly cheap ($1-$2 a stick) and not too bad as far as cheap cigars go. I agree with trying samplers too.

Vroomp

Quote17leaves - 12/19/2013  2:27 PM  Quorum maybe? They're fairly cheap ($1-$2 a stick) and not too bad as far as cheap cigars go. I agree with trying samplers too.

Welcome to the site Brady!

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Mojo66

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Mautrak

I would start with samplers.  Try to spend some time to get a sampler with quality cigars, more so than the no-name real cheapies.  But then start smoking cigars and start to get a feel for what you like and what you don't like.  And when you run across one you don't like, don't be afraid to toss it in the flowerbed, grab a different cigar, and then try that one.  Don't buy a lot of anything now, as what you like today, you may not like in March of next year as your tastes change.

Ken Kelley

QuoteMT21 - 12/19/2013  1:53 AM

I would suggest that the Connecticut wrappers aren't the place to start because so many of them are grassy and frequently bitter. There are loads and loads of medium strength cigars in a variety of other wrappers. Seem to me that so many of the "mild" cigars have minimal flavor that I don't think I would start with them. Agreed, the 601's are a bit of a stretch for the new guy...as are the Joya de Nicaragua Antanos...but the Fuentes are good, the CAO's would work, and so would many others already mentioned.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Kman

QuoteLonghorn - 12/19/2013  2:02 PM  Kent, I would second the suggestion to try sampler packs - you can find them at very reasonable prices on most e-tail sites.  That way you can try lots of different cigars and then buy 5'ers or boxes of ones you like.  

I concur. Samplers are probably the way to go. Most sites have great deals on them. Then as Brad (Longhorn) suggested, once you find some that you like, you might pick up a 5 pack to see if it's something worth buying a box of. Also, try different sizes until you find something you like. The length and the ring gauge of the cigar can affect the taste as well, so trying the same cigar in different sizes is something you'll want to experiment with as well. 

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

sjn1117

Definitely samplers are the way to. Especially ones with a variety of wrappers and sizes/shapes. Personally I would try a milder maduro to start, like Ken said the connies seem to bitter to me as of late.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Ntxsage

Guess I'm gonna be the contrarian here (as usual) and advise against those samplers. Too many of those samplers are chock full of cheap, often below average cigars.

I loved most Fuente when I first started, so I'll second prior posts about starting there. Your best bet is save any money on generic samplers and put it towards a thread asking for newbie sampler around here. The geeks will hook you up with a nice variety of GOOD medium bodied cigars you might enjoy. Then go from there exploring similar wrappers / blends as the ones you enjoyed.
Did you know Stuart Scott almost made the Scripps National Spelling Bee as a child? Then the judges asked for skiing, but he only had one I. - acr

SenorPablo

Welcome to CG!  I always recommend the 5 Vegas Series A for newbs.  Can find them on CI.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Hot Stuff x

QuoteNtxsage - 12/20/2013  5:12 AM  Guess I'm gonna be the contrarian here (as usual) and advise against those samplers. Too many of those samplers are chock full of cheap, often below average cigars.  I loved most Fuente when I first started, so I'll second prior posts about starting there. Your best bet is save any money on generic samplers and put it towards a thread asking for newbie sampler around here. The geeks will hook you up with a nice variety of GOOD medium bodied cigars you might enjoy. Then go from there exploring similar wrappers / blends as the ones you enjoyed.

There are samples out there with all or mostly good cigars, but the problem is a noob won't be able to know which ones to avoid.

I'd shop around for weekly or daily specials, and then check the Cigar Geeks reviews to see if the cigars in question have good ratings.  

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

theque

This seems like a good variety pack of cheaper cigars. Lindsay and I are each getting one. With 20 sticks costing $2 each, if only 2 or 3 are to our liking it will be a success. Then we will purchase boxes of those we like for "daily" smokers and reserve our good ones for the weekends.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/samplers/72013/cis-backyard-boogie-mega-sampler/#p-125710
-Ray

You can tell me how to cut, light, smoke or hold my cigar when you let me tell you how to hold your c%*$.

Humidor shared with girl in pigtails ( http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=theque&set=curr )

The Burn Ward

QuoteKen Kelley - 12/19/2013  4:00 PM

QuoteMT21 - 12/19/2013  1:53 AM

I would suggest that the Connecticut wrappers aren't the place to start because so many of them are grassy and frequently bitter. There are loads and loads of medium strength cigars in a variety of other wrappers. Seem to me that so many of the "mild" cigars have minimal flavor that I don't think I would start with them. Agreed, the 601's are a bit of a stretch for the new guy...as are the Joya de Nicaragua Antanos...but the Fuentes are good, the CAO's would work, and so would many others already mentioned.

Antanos perform better with a good rest. Buy some now and savor the victory later. :smoker:   I will also say most samplers are laced with subpar cigars. Mikes cigars puts some good samplers together with countless options.

c.petree.1

I started with a 10pk sampler that came with a glass top humidor. I got it at ci for 30$. It came with a nice variety and I still smoke most of the cigars that were included.

theque

All I know is when you view the "Good Cheap Cigars" thread, a lot of the ones mentioned are in that sampler. No they are not Opus X's or Anejo's or anything like that, but from what I have read they are not dog rockets either.
-Ray

You can tell me how to cut, light, smoke or hold my cigar when you let me tell you how to hold your c%*$.

Humidor shared with girl in pigtails ( http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=theque&set=curr )

17leaves

QuoteSenorPablo - 12/19/2013  5:06 PM

Welcome to CG!  I always recommend the 5 Vegas Series A for newbs.  Can find them on CI.

-Paul

CI had a deal on them (10 for $29.99 + $20 gift card) just a few days ago. I couldn't resist since I already had a $10 gift card from them.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm hoping that I can not only learn a thing or two here but contribute as well.

17leaves

You could always try Pineapple White Owls. I believe there's a review up. :biggrin:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.