What's your favorite Cigarillo?

Started by 05Venturer, 12/29/2013 12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

Looking for more advice on cigarillos for quick smokes.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Otter

Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu No. 5
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Joelala

I don't smoke them really but I have tried the padron maduros and they held their own.
Joe

Ken Kelley

Bolivar Cofradia petit maduros. Dynamite little stick and you can get them on the JR Daily Auction for around $25 if some idiots don't drive the bidding up too high
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

sjn1117

why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Mojo66

QuoteKen Kelley - 12/29/2013  6:18 PM  Bolivar Cofradia petit maduros. Dynamite little stick and you can get them on the JR Daily Auction for around $25 if some idiots don't drive the bidding up too high

What, no White Owl? :biggrin:  

http://www.thompsoncigar.com/product/WHITE-OWL-CORONA-NATURAL-GRAPE/77826.uts" />

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

nwb

QuoteOtter - 12/29/2013  4:22 PM

Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu No. 5

^This.
Chief of Shaft

Hot Stuff x

Liga Privada Papas Fritas.   I also like Davidoff Primeros Maduros.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

FNA

Although cigarillo means nothing more nor less than "small cigar", I believe most people differentiate between "small cigars" and cigarillos.

The Ashton cigarillois a cigarillo, the  Verocu is a cigar, albeit a small cigar (which as stated, strictly speaking is a cigarillo, but I'm going to argue not).

Tatuaje does not sell the Verocu as a cigarillo, so I don't think we should think of it as a cigarillo.

There is a point where it becomes pretty close to call, but once the ring gauge is 40 or more, to me at least, it is not a cigarillo.

First, to me cigarillos are smaller than 30 ring gauge.  Some quiffling is going to occur at 32-34,  but there's got to be a cut-off somewhere.  The aforementioned Ashtons, Davidoff, Perdomo minis, RyJ Juietas and many more ranging from 20-28 ring gauge and often called minis or indeed cigarillos are what I thinkof as cigarillos.  Ever do the European dry cured?  Some very decent cigarillos there including Schimmelpennick. Even that company's Duet line, at 5.5 x 27 is marketed not as cigarillos but as panatelas.  Anyway, dry-cured cigarillos can be very tasty little smokes.

The small cigars mentioned above are at that difficult cusp, are they or aren't they?  The Papas Fritas are 4.5 x 44 - that's a cigar, a short cigar but certainly a cigar  known as a petite corona or coronita.  The Bolos and the Bolivar, around 5 inches and 35/36 are a hard call for me - they are large cigarillos that one will not smoke in 10 minutes.  I think of them as short panatelas.

perelman's Cigar Cyclopedia classifies "cigarillos" as cigars less than 29 ring gauge (even smaller than my cut-off).

So what do you think?  Plainly some think of short coronas as cigarillos.  How big can a cigarillo be before it is a cigar; y converso, how small must a cigar be before it is a cigarillo?  Let's define some terms.

Ted

Good points.  As a newbie, and an ex cigarette smoker, I kind of think as cigarillos as being similar in size to a standard cigarette and pre-cut.  Size is variable, but I always equated a cigarillo to a cigar with cigarette ease of use features.  To me, that means no cap.

StogieDad

I would agree that the Papas Fritas are heading out of cigarillo stage for sure.  I always think of the RyJ, Cohiba, Partagas lines in the tins at the drug store when I think of cigarillos, thats just me.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

nwb

True, there must be a cut-off to define it as a cigarillo.  However, I haven't had a true cigarillo that I would recommend, thus my response of a Tat Verocu.

This is just my opinion, but I don't smoke a cigar unless I have, at the very minimum, 30 minutes, and preferably 45 minutes.  I know this isn't always possible for everyone, but it affects my recommendations for smaller cigars.
Chief of Shaft

StogieDad

Quotenwb - 12/30/2013  1:18 PM

True, there must be a cut-off to define it as a cigarillo.  However, I haven't had a true cigarillo that I would recommend, thus my response of a Tat Verocu.

This is just my opinion, but I don't smoke a cigar unless I have, at the very minimum, 30 minutes, and preferably 45 minutes.  I know this isn't always possible for everyone, but it affects my recommendations for smaller cigars.

:word:

At least 30 for me as well.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

mike46

Cigar.com has a nice little cigar in cartons of 25 ....... La Aurora Leononis Corojito.  You will find them on their webiste under Promotions then Clearance sections.  I don't think they are listed on the regular cigar list.  Anyways, these are maybe more of a cigar than a cigarillo, your girlfriend might not smoke them, perhaps a bit too "cowboyish", but they are a very nice cigar and a great deal.  One hundred for $50 so a half buck each, can't beat that.  Tasty and at least medium in strength.

Ken Kelley

Quotenwb - 12/30/2013  1:18 AM

There are rare time when a smaller smoke comes in handy. One of my favorites is the CAO Brazilia Mini weighing in at a whopping 3.5 x 20. Can't even call it a cigarillo so I think they are more like whiffs. Lasts about 10 minutes if you smoke them slow but produce immense clouds of tasty smoke. They come in handy when it gets bitter cold here in the holler.

StogieDad

So as an experiment, I had five of these Nat Sherman Point Fives that CI threw in an order for free.  I was taking out the trash and already had two cigars today, and since this discussion came up, I gave one a whirl.  I was pleasantly surprised, so I thought I would pass it along.  Burned well, lots of smoke, smooth, and not particularly boring.  May be worth a shot, may keep a fiver at work for short drives around myself.  Nothing earth shattering, but a good little smoke IMO

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigars/75776/nat-sherman-point-fives/

-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

FNA

I recently picked up a couple of variety of point fives but haven't gotten to them yet.  Good to hear they apparently are wht they shuold be, a smoke.

McBryde

A little birdie told me that the pineapple white owls were the best ones to smoke. Or maybe that was an owl telling me that?

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Ken Kelley

QuoteMcBryde - 12/31/2013  6:57 AM

A little birdie told me that the pineapple white owls were the best ones to smoke. Or maybe that was an owl telling me that?

E

Yeah, and I've also heard that even a short smoke with a PWO can seem to last a lot longer than it actually does!  :biggrin:

McBryde

QuoteKen Kelley - 12/31/2013  6:09 PM

QuoteMcBryde - 12/31/2013  6:57 AM

E

Yeah, and I've also heard that even a short smoke with a PWO can seem to last a lot longer than it actually does!  :biggrin:

:blech:  :blech:  :lmao:  :lmao:

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Camshaft83

I like the CAO Brazilia mini, and Ashtons. Want to try the Fuente Cubanitos.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Cfickter

The CAO Brazilia Cariocas is nice. Has the flavor profile of the full line
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

05Venturer

QuoteKen Kelley - 12/30/2013  10:33 AM

Quotenwb - 12/30/2013  1:18 AM

There are rare time when a smaller smoke comes in handy. One of my favorites is the CAO Brazilia Mini weighing in at a whopping 3.5 x 20. Can't even call it a cigarillo so I think they are more like whiffs. Lasts about 10 minutes if you smoke them slow but produce immense clouds of tasty smoke. They come in handy when it gets bitter cold here in the holler.

The CAO Brazilia Mini's are sold out everywhere I looked unless I want to buy 5 or 10 packs. I would like to try one pack first to test em.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cfickter

Perhaps a little more than a cigarillo but the Quesada Heisenberg Project Petite is closer to 20 minutes but a fine little petitie
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.