Tower Humidity Help

Started by ThinBlueLine, 01/04/2014 08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThinBlueLine

So I got my Avallo and like it however I can't seem to balance the humidity from bottom to top.  I have the unit set at 68rh and matched same with a xikar hygrometer.  The bottom will reach 68rh sometimes a little higher to 70rh.  The middle will reach 65rh to 67rh while the top will reach 56rh and maybe go up to 60rh if I am lucky.  What the heck is that all about.  I know that it is a very tall unit and trying to balance the humidity between levels can be challenging but this is quite annoying.  Close to a 10 point swing from bottom to top?  The top shelf will read 60rh and the next shelf down will read 64rh.  That just doesn't seem right.  The boxes are clear from the sides with an approximate inch or so to allow airflow.  The xikars are all calibrated  as I did that the other day.  Any suggestions?  There are two fans located at the top which run for 1min an hour.  There are two fans located at the middle which run for 5 minutes an hour.  There are also two humidity cans at the bottom and also two above the middle point.  Here are some pictures of what the layout looks like...hope you all can put your heads together and help me out
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

ThinBlueLine

SONOFA...they didn't look like that when I uploaded them sorry fellas

Vroomp

Were all those boxes at 68% when you put them in there?
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

ThinBlueLine

Not sure Brad, they were in my small tower unit which held around 65% for quite some (months and months) time before being placed into Avallo which leads me to believe they should've been okay.

Vroomp

It doesn't take as long for the wood in the boxes to lose humidity while in transit or sitting out. I have noticed putting a box ROTT will lower mine a good bit for a couple days. I have only one fan and I made a box for it to direct the circulation right up the inside wall of the cabinet but, mine runs non-stop. From the pictures it's hard to see just how much circulation there is in there......
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

lubrix

Did you try moving around your fan placement?.I am not familiar with that type of humidification system.I use Cigar Oasis XL II in both my towers.I have the unit at the bottom and the Aux fans on the 3rd and 4th shelf on the upper part of the tower.All fans pushing up.So the bottom of the tower reads at 68 rh and the top 65-66 rh.Hope this can help.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

ThinBlueLine

Paul, I did not try moving around the fan placement.  The fans do not face up they face out towards the front door.  I will try and see if that works.  If not I am going to try and move the humidity sensor to higher in the cabinet to maybe help too.  Thanks for help guys

ntanner

I think they should face up to pull up the humidified air, all mine in my unit are aimed towards the top. Also seems that the middle fans should run a little longer then 1 minute per hour. something like a 15 to 20% duty cycle.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

ThinBlueLine

Ok, I just faced the two bottom fans facing upward and we shall see how that does.  I will give it a day and go from there.  I hope that works but if not I guess I will try and move the humidity sensor higher into the cabinet.

Jackal

It took a couple weeks for the top and bottom of mine to equilibrate.  The top still lags a bit by about 1-2% in mine.  I have a Hydra on the bottom shelf, a large fan and a tupper of beads on the lowest of the top shelves and a small fan in the center drawer and on the highest of the lower shelves.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

wlfwalleye

Play around with the fan placement and give it some TIME. I personally wouldn't move the humidity sensor since the humidity in the bottom is higher. If you move the sensor to a lower area than the humidity in the bottom will go up as well. If all else fails you might just have to add some beads or kitty litter up towards the top to even it out and stabilize it.

ThinBlueLine

Yea I am being impatient without question. I will give it some time.

Caveman Steve

I agree with everyone else that the fans need to draw the more moist air from the bottom and direct it up.  Mine works well that way.(Hydra)  Within 2% top to bottom.  My fans run constantly however.  Don't know if that's good or bad, but so far, no issues I can detect.  Can you set up the fans to run more often?
"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

Cfickter

I have looked at several towers and wondered how well balanced they could be kept. Some really great feedback in this thread. Thanks for the info, might pull that purchase in now
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

ThinBlueLine

So I am happy to report to all you geeks that I was able to finally stabilize the cabinet.  I don't have the patience to wait things out so I stood in front of the cabinet for quite some time and pondered.  Then it hit me, I took one of the two middle humidity canisters and raised one significantly higher than the other one.  This helped bring more humidity to the top level and take some away from the bottom.  The bottom was still reading a bit high, that could due in part with the massive water spill I had weeks ago and most collected there.  AnywayI disconnected one of the humidity canisters at the bottom and only running one.  That did the trick fellas, I now have a level 67rh from top to bottom.  I can finally catch some    now.

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Caveman Steve

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.