Humidor cabinet finally complete!

Started by Caveman Steve, 01/01/2014 02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlfwalleye

Vroomp

That really came out nice and looks like a store bought unit! Great job and glad my project inspired someone else to try their hand at a conversion. 

Did you seal the glass on the doors? I found that I had to use some clear silicone on mine to cut down on leakage as well so, I used painter's tape to limit the silicone to just where I wanted it without any smearing on the wood or glass since that stuff is a pain to clean off. Which humidification unit did you decide on?

:bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:  

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Caveman Steve

QuoteVroomp - 1/2/2014  8:36 AM  

That really came out nice and looks like a store bought unit! Great job and glad my project inspired someone else to try their hand at a conversion. 

Did you seal the glass on the doors? I found that I had to use some clear silicone on mine to cut down on leakage as well so, I used painter's tape to limit the silicone to just where I wanted it without any smearing on the wood or glass since that stuff is a pain to clean off. Which humidification unit did you decide on?

:bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:  

I did not seal the glass.  It seems to be very solidly installed by the original manufacturer. (no rattle)  and I agree, silicone is a pain!   I'm using the Hydra LG Commercial series for humidification, with 2 auxiliary fans that are installed behind the center mullion and blow air up in between the two drawer sections.  The unit holds humidity very well, although I am filling the reservoir more lately.  (RH in the house is 38%)  I figure that's normal this time of year.

Thanks again for the "Inspiration"! 

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

johncw

sjn1117

why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Newbhunter

That is a beautiful humidor man, congrats...

gpd4

My greatest fear in life is that when I die, my wife sells my things for what I told her I paid for them...

akira

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

lane1man

That's awesome I would have thought you bought it that way.

FNA

"The only thing I didn't do myself was the Spanish cedar trays used for the drawers", but then "It seems to be very solidly installed by the original manufacturer".

So I'm a l;ittle confused - if the only thing you didn't do yourself was the trays, aren't you the "original manufacturer"?

How much did materials cost you, if you don't mind saying?

Caveman Steve

QuoteFNA - 1/2/2014  3:43 PM  "The only thing I didn't do myself was the Spanish cedar trays used for the drawers", but then "It seems to be very solidly installed by the original manufacturer".  So I'm a l;ittle confused - if the only thing you didn't do yourself was the trays, aren't you the "original manufacturer"?  How much did materials cost you, if you don't mind saying?

Sorry for the confusion.  This is an old cabinet that I retrofitted into a humidor.  The exterior of the unit was manufactured by someone else.  I built the interior portion. (a cabinet that I constructed and inserted into the cavity of the original cabinet)  Does that make sense?.  As far as costs are concerned, I didn't keep great track, but including the 8 trays that I bought, I probably had about $300 in it, not including the Hydra unit. 

Smurf

orbis non sufficit

Ted

That's a great looking piece.  Excellent idea and execution!

Blgove

Wow, Steve. What a beautiful cabinet. It looks like you have a Hydra for humidification. Do you have any wide variations in RH in different locations?

I have a tower with 8 drawers near the bottom. I have to augment the Hydra with beads in the top two shelves. If I have the Hydra cranked up so the top is around 65, the drawers near the bottom are around 80% :-0

"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee hapiness, only the pursuit of it.  You have to catch up with it yourself"  

Benjamin Franklin

vw77guy

Wow.  That really turned out nice.

Caveman Steve

QuoteBlgove - 1/3/2014  12:12 AM  Wow, Steve. What a beautiful cabinet. It looks like you have a Hydra for humidification. Do you have any wide variations in RH in different locations?  I have a tower with 8 drawers near the bottom. I have to augment the Hydra with beads in the top two shelves. If I have the Hydra cranked up so the top is around 65, the drawers near the bottom are around 80% :-0  

That was definitely a concern of mine.  I built this unit with about a 4 1/2 " void in between the two drawer sections.  I have two auxiliary fans mounted a little below the midpoint of the unit, above the Hydra, that circulate the heavier, more humidified air from the bottom.  I was sure to leave gaps on the sides and behind the drawers (3/4"-1") as well, so air can flow as freely as possible.  I set the unit at 68, and the top drawer will typically read 66.  I can live with that.  (Although I do lose some storage capacity!)

conditionZero

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

QuikAF77

That looks great! Wish I was that handy
"I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time."
- Mark Twain

"By the cigars they smoke, and the composers they love, ye shall know the texture of men's souls."
- John Galsworthy

Rhall

that is really nice makes me want to try something like it ...maybe smaller tho. the wife doesnt like the idea of a big humidor until we move to a  home where i can just have my own smoking room
Insert sarcastic quote here.

dirtyleafcigars

Truly phenomenal work, Steve. That's a beautiful piece indeed.

SenorPablo

Very nice work.  Looks beautiful.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

ntanner

Nice job, real top notch looking cabinet.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

BewareDaPenguin

Wow that looks amazing great job!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

theque

Honestly, That is one of the nicest humidors I have seen anywhere. It looks like a piece of furniture any woman would enjoy with the full functionality of a humidor. Well done sir.
-Ray

You can tell me how to cut, light, smoke or hold my cigar when you let me tell you how to hold your c%*$.

Humidor shared with girl in pigtails ( http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=theque&set=curr )

nwb

Truly a great looking humidor.  Kudos! :bigthumbs:
Chief of Shaft

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.