Playing With Some Pipe Baccy.

Started by wlfwalleye, 01/01/2014 11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROTHNH

That's great, Kyle.  Looks terrific.  Now ...

How the hell does it smoke?  Or are you going to jar it for a while to let it meld further?

wlfwalleye

QuoteROTHNH - 1/18/2014  3:14 PM

That's great, Kyle.  Looks terrific.  Now ...

How the hell does it smoke?  Or are you going to jar it for a while to let it meld further?

I just finished up a bowl.......and was actually extremely surprised by the results.
I have been tweaking this blend in loose form for a couple of years and had it where it was hitting on all cylinders for my tastes.

The cake form actually (on first bowl impressions) improved it ways I hadn't expected. The Virginias have sweetened up quite a bit, the Smyrna and Izmir give a more subtle back note which is quite pleasant, the perique seems to have moved into the more aged notes of plum with a great pepper note.

I kept a little block out for smoking and moved the rest into 3 other little jars to open up at later dates to see how the aging process works on it. I think I will press up another cake with the rest of the tobacco I have left to be sure I can duplicate the results in full.

Over all this little experiment has been a success in my book! :dancing:

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

grabow66

If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

ntanner

Like smoking a pipe but usually just smoke Cptn. Black.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

toby2

that's cool. looked like a fun experiment.

I read something Fred Hanna wrote, I blv it was Hanna, about baking a tin in the oven to simulate age and meld the flavors. sounded cool.

yup just looked it up in "The Perfect Smoke" page 41

metalhead y cigarguy

That looks like it turned out great!  Let us know how it tastes.  Looks like a great cake.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

ROTHNH

That sounds delicious -- Happy it turned out so well, Kyle!

Cigary

Im getting back again into pipes after a 30 year layoff...I love pipes and bought a couple of Savinellis along with about 3 pounds of various tobaccos....I really like this idea of making your own blend so when I get my taste profiles in place I too will be playing  around with this...thx for the thread and how to do this.

cibolodave

sounds like it turned out really good

Cfickter

This was a great thread to follow. I didn't know anything about pressing, not being a pipe smoker.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

grabow66

QuoteCfickter - 1/19/2014  8:53 PM

This was a great thread to follow. I didn't know anything about pressing, not being a pipe smoker.

We can help you become one !!
If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

LawDaddy

Looks great!  I tried pipe smoking a little over the summer, but could never keep the darn thing lit.

ROTHNH

QuoteLawDaddy - 1/26/2014  1:33 PM

Looks great!  I tried pipe smoking a little over the summer, but could never keep the darn thing lit.

Jared, there's a long "learning curve" when taking up pipe smoking.  Much like smoking cigars, pipe smoking has a long learning curve -- in fact, pipe smoking has a learning curve that's considerably longer, IMO -- 40+ years into pipes and I'm still learning LOL.

Like most things worthwhile, the more we put into it, the more we get out of it.  The effort is worth it, IMO.

ROTHNH

Some more McClelland's vintage 2003 Christmas Cheer (maybe a few bowls left from the Holidays), in an Astley Charatan Make 8-panel quarter bent dublin. Delicious.

wlfwalleye

Smoking a bowl of this stuff and it just keeps getting better the longer it rests!   :dancing:

I have made up four more cakes of this stuff for long term aging.

ROTHNH

Amazing the difference a year or two makes to markedly improve most blends.  Virginias seem to benefit the most from aging.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.